Ideas for Rehearsal Dinner in March

2,413 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bobinator
Scotty88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son, Class of 2020, is getting married in College Station the first week of March 2025. He has church (St. Mary's) and their reception location (Brownwood Reserve in Kurten) booked.

Looking for ideas for a place to have rehearsal dinner.

Evidently the rehearsal starts at 7:30 pm (which makes no sense to me).

So he is planning of feeding the wedding party before the rehearsal and then maybe have everyone out after the rehearsal for dessert and cocktails.

Any ideas from the locals??
trouble
AG
Any specific foods they want to avoid?
Scotty88
AG
Asian because that's going to be the wedding reception food...I think Italian would be good or American or good old Bar BQ!
histag10
AG
Wanting a restaurant, or small venue for catering? How many people are we talking? Catholic weddings can get big....
trouble
AG
For BBQ, I'd do C&J on William J Bryan by the post office. They have 2 smaller rooms that can be opened into 1 large one or a large one that can't be sectioned.

For Italian, it's going to depend on size. Caff Capri has a private room but it's not super big. Fritella can close off their larger room for private parties.

Casa Mangiare on University would also be a good choice in College Station. TacoBar is also a good, more casual choice. You could get the patio or indoor space or both.
woodiewood
trouble said:

For BBQ, I'd do C&J on William J Bryan by the post office. They have 2 smaller rooms that can be opened into 1 large one or a large one that can't be sectioned.

For Italian, it's going to depend on size. Caff Capri has a private room but it's not super big. Fritella can close off their larger room for private parties.

Casa Mangiare on University would also be a good choice in College Station. TacoBar is also a good, more casual choice. You could get the patio or indoor space or both.
Doesn't Cafe Capri still have the second floor area? If I remember from the one time I was up there it was quite large.

For Mexican cuisine, Maria Mias has a dining room that can be closed off that could hold 50 or 60 persons.

Saltgrass has a room that can be closed off.

Recommendations are dependent on # of attendees. If you're talking a couple of dozen, there are many options in our area, If close to 100 or more, it trims down the options greatly.

Scotty88
AG
I think we are open to venue/catering or a meeting room. Probably 50 people
rptsAg03
I have seen them section off a smaller portion of the JPII event center there at St. Mary's for a rehearsal dinner. So if you are considering catering, the venue would sure be convenient. Napa Flats has some good food options too.
gettingitdone
I hosted a baby shower for for daughter at Eighteen Eighteen and it was perfect. Holds about 100
TyHolden
AG
Not sure if you can still do this but I remember somebody renting out the restaurant on top of Rudder Tower. I can't remember if the food was good or not but the ambiance was pretty cool.

May also be able to do the same thing on top of the Hilton.
histag10
AG
Talk to St Marys about renting out a rehearsal space. Heck- you might even talk to St Thomas Aquinas about renting their smaller hall if they aren't also booked.

SevenFifty Loft could accommodate that many if you are looking at catering. (Then you could maybe utilize the venue for before and after rehearsal?)

The hotel on campus has a restaurant and conference rooms you could possibly rent out?

Fritella would be a good option, and pretty close to St Marys.
TXCityGirl
Maybe stay near the church since you will be coming straight from there.
Porter's
Hotel Cavalry Court has a nice meeting room
Cooper's Barbeque
Ronin TX
bobinator
AG
There's lots of good ideas for the standard rehearsal dinner, but just to throw a thought out there...

For me, ideally, you want the dinner, rehearsal, and the post-rehearsal all to be walking distance to each other. Especially if you're inviting people to the dinner (or the post) that don't need to be at the rehearsal. (not normally a big deal if the rehearsal is first, but with the dinner first, then the rehearsal, then another event the driving could be a bit annoying.)

The Northgate location has some fun potential depending on if the group is casual and Spring Break is the second week of March next year so you might be able to talk some places into renting out and bringing food in that might not normally.

Maybe they have a favorite bar?

One idea off the top of my head is to check into renting out the pizza side of Rough Draught or possibly renting out Rebel Draft House and bringing food in.

There wasn't much rehearsal necessary for ours (outdoor wedding at Peach Creek Ranch) so we just rented out blackwater draw in Bryan and did our rehearsal in the warehouse side at like 6:30 (the officiant was a friend of ours) and then had Rx pizza deliver at about 7 and then we had invited anyone else we knew was driving in the night before to come have a drink and out starting at 8. Everyone had a great time and didn't cost a ton.
trouble
AG
Rough Draught would be really tight with 50 people. We use it for a monthly meeting and 40 gets pretty tight.
EriktheRed
AG
I think that's a cool idea, but would also add that century square is the same distance (walking) as Northgate. Century square might be a more fitting for the occasion and it's the same distance walking

Edit to be more specific....to me it is similar enough distance to not be significant. 7 min vs 11 min walk according to google
techno-ag
AG
Check out Wedding Assn. of the Brazos Valley for more ideas.

https://wabv.org/
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

DimeBox17
AG
trouble said:

We did ours at the new (at the time) C&Js last year. They have a good sized room specifically for events like this. The food was pretty dang good and they were great to work with. Barbecue snobs can get over eating C&Js for one night.

We were able to bring in all of the decor/linens as well as some special side items and dessert at no charge.

I think we ended up doing brisket, turkey and sausage with their mashed potatoes and then we brought in a couple of other sides and dessert. You'll obviously have to purchase beer and wine from them but it was all reasonably priced. Good experience.
TyHolden
AG
Also went to a reception at Christopher's that was really nice…
WolfCall
AG
Hi Scotty, Kyle Field Pressbox!!!!

And, you'll be near St Mary's!

https://specialevents.12thman.com/sports/2024/1/28/press-box.aspx
Quote:

The Press Box is located at the top of the east side of Kyle Field, featuring expansive views of not only the stadium but the main campus and College Station.

Rental Info: Press Box
Sq. Footage: 8,400
Reception Capacity: 150
Banquet Capacity: 80

Facility Features
Catering Provided by Levy Restaurants
Outdoor Guest Access
Display TV Monitors
ADA Access
Edit to say that here is a comprehensive list of event venues:

Kyle Field
All-American Club (North)
All-American Club (South)
Ford Hall of Champions
Heritage Lounge
Legacy Club
Lettermen's Club
Presidential Lounge
Press Box
Zone Club
Blue Bell Park
Cox Diamond Club
Aggie@state.gov
AG
'Levy Restaurants' catering!
Scotty88
AG
Thanks for all the great ideas!! Love Texags!
RDH80
AG
My daughter and son in law had their rehearsal dinner at Ronin in downtown Bryan .
FlyRod
If you can do catered, the Brazos Cotton Exchange in downtown Bryan is a great venue. Beautiful and classy.
WolfCall
AG
RDH80 said:

My daughter and son in law had their rehearsal dinner at Ronin in downtown Bryan .
Ronin (downtown Bryan) is 5.2 to 5.6 miles (13 - 17 minutes away) from St Mary's on Church St. Might be doable.
TyHolden
AG
WolfCall said:

Hi Scotty, Kyle Field Pressbox!!!!

And, you'll be near St Mary's!

https://specialevents.12thman.com/sports/2024/1/28/press-box.aspx
Quote:

The Press Box is located at the top of the east side of Kyle Field, featuring expansive views of not only the stadium but the main campus and College Station.

Rental Info: Press Box
Sq. Footage: 8,400
Reception Capacity: 150
Banquet Capacity: 80

Facility Features
Catering Provided by Levy Restaurants
Outdoor Guest Access
Display TV Monitors
ADA Access
Edit to say that here is a comprehensive list of event venues:

Kyle Field
All-American Club (North)
All-American Club (South)
Ford Hall of Champions
Heritage Lounge
Legacy Club
Lettermen's Club
Presidential Lounge
Press Box
Zone Club
Blue Bell Park
Cox Diamond Club
what do these typically cost? I know, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. I probably can't
WolfCall
AG
Hi TyHolden:
I went to the website and selected Contact and get an error; however, I found a drop down that showed their staff and emailed one of them asking for the cost of the Press Box and other Sports Venues.

I'll post whatever I hear from them.
WolfCall
AG
Hi Ty:
As promised, here is an email from the Special Events people:

Quote:

[WolfCall]

Here is a list of potential sites for a rehearsal dinners and receptions:
Kyle Field
Press Box $1,000
Heritage Lounge $1,500
Presidential Lounge $1,500
All American Club North or South $4,000
Zone Club $4,500
Hall of Champions $6,000
Softball:
Davis Diamond Club $2,200
Baseball:
Cox Diamond Club $1,500
Reed Arena:
2nd Floor Ballroom $1,750
3rd Floor Ballroom $1,800

All of the above rates are for room rental and include tables, chairs, and black linens. There are additional costs for security, catering*, AV needs (sound, microphones, screens, etc.), custodial, set/strike staff, event coordinators and fire techs to manage the fire panels. (*Catering in all athletic facilities with the exception of Reed Arena has to be handled by Levy Restaurants as well as all alcohol in all facilities.)

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks & Gig'Em!

techno-ag
AG
That's not bad actually.
TyHolden
AG
Thanks!
WolfCall
AG
Yep! I didn't think the prices, especially for Kyle Field Press Box, were reasonable. Not sure what catering prices would be.

For an All-Aggie wedding would be a great once in a lifetime experience - eating in the Kyle Field Press Box.
trouble
AG
Having received a final quote from them on using a facility, the add ons (that are required) make it much more expensive.
BiochemAg97
AG
Aggie@state.gov said:

'Levy Restaurants' catering!

While they don't do a great job of running the game day concessions, I've been to catered events in Kyle and the food is good, on par with events at a hotel convention center. No idea on how the price compares.
techno-ag
AG
WolfCall said:

For an All-Aggie wedding would be a great once in a lifetime experience - eating in the Kyle Field Press Box.

I've been up in the old press box back in the day during a game. Yeah it would be interesting to see the new one.
Scotty88
AG
Casa Mangiare on University is first on the list so far with their glassed in patio.

Seen pictures and going to check it out at the Mizzu game.

We looked at Mr G's pizza in Bryan and they had some crazy high quote...pizza must be expensive now a days.
histag10
AG
Their pizza is good- but REALLY expensive and not always consistent.

Casa Mangiare is great.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.