Meat Processing

1,442 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Rex Racer
aggie-1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been using Wentzel's in Hamilton for all my deer processing for over 15 years. Unfortunately they are no longer processing deer. Any recommendations for someone relatively close to CS that is good? I know there were some recommendations on the outdoor board, but everything was at least 2 hours away.

Typically we get summer sausage, brats, jerky, snack sticks, pastrami, etc.

Appreciate any recommendations.
AggiePhil
AG
This CT??
trouble
AG
Readfields is who my cousins use.

https://readfieldmeats.com/game-processing/
EBrazosAg
AG
Greens Sausage House in Zabcikville.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oklaunion
Readfields is great.
cstat07
AG
How is Slovaceks?
AggiePhil
AG
I've always heard that most of those places don't actually give you YOUR meat. It gets mixed up with a bunch of other folks' and they dole you out approximately what your bag would've yielded.
cstat07
AG
Some do. Some are very clear they do not.
PerdidoKey2030
AG
My brother had Slovaceks process his deer 2 season ago. Probably the worst deer sausage I have ever had with chewy skins, no flavor...after he tried it, would not even give it away it was so bad.
CS78
Readfields puts out a good and extremely consistent product. Way above slovacek who mixes your meat with the gutshot deer that sat in the sun all day.
KWB
AG
I've used slovaceks a handful of times, last year I used Broken Tine. His ground was solid his sausage wasn't as good but he was quite a bit cheaper. I'll be going there again this year
Justified
I have used slovaceks, broken tine, Ed's butcher block and Arnold's.
Arnold's in Hempstead is our favorite. Slovaceks mixes deer, so I hear. I wasn't pleased with the quality either.
Broken tine vacuum seals everything and a quick turnaround. My family wasn't impressed.
Ed's was sold and the new meat market continued the recipe until they burned down.
Arnold's is relatively close and doesn't mix. The sausage is vacuum sealed and the burger is in the one pound bags. They have a variety of different options.
ElephantRider
AG
Theiss, just north of Normangee on 39. I've never personally used them, but they make fantastic sausage and I've heard good things from people that have taken deer there. They do not mix orders
Jbob04
AG
ElephantRider said:

Theiss, just north of Normangee on 39. I've never personally used them, but they make fantastic sausage and I've heard good things from people that have taken deer there. They do not mix orders
was just about to post Theiss. Been using them for almost 20 years now and have always been happy with the product.
vmiaptetr
AG
cstat07 said:

How is Slovaceks?

Bad
histag10
AG
Bellville Meat Market is also good
BucketofBalls99
I've used. Bellville - wasn't all that impressed overall

Last year used Readfields and loved its will be using again this year
histag10
AG
Most of what we have had from Bellville is exotics, but it has always been fantastic (ground, steaks, sausage- summer, dried, fresh).

We process everything ourselves- so everything we have had from Bellville was given to us
dr_boogs
AG
Another vote for Readfield's. They make me a batch of duck and pork jalapeƱo and cheese sausage every year that is lights out.
Clucky
Never used them but there is Jarret's in Madisonville, and K&C in Navasota.
Rex Racer
AG
histag10 said:

Bellville Meat Market is also good
Grew up in Bellville, and we always used them. But we did a 50/50 venison/pork mix for sausage. It's delicious.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.