Any experiences with the new pediatric dentist in town - Smile Right

980 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by dr_boogs
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are both TAMU employees and Dr. Light's office just stopped taking the TAMU dental plan. We were very happy with her but were using our insurance every year to keep the cost down.

SmileRight is the new pediatric dentist in town and my wife took the kids there yesterday for cleanings. Very different experience. Spartan, handful of office staff, and doctor is not listed on their website. It's definitely got the franchise feel. Everyone was friendly and courteous but it's definitely not set up to cater to kids like Dr. Light's office.

They are recommending a filling for my son and was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to have services other than cleanings done on their kids there, and what the experiences have been. Because they take TAMU insurance the out of pocket cost for the filling will be quite low.

On one hand, would like to use the insurance to handle the filling, but on the other hand, we don't have any relationship with the new dentist and considering going back to Dr. Light and paying out of pocket for the filling because we know she does such great work.

Any other reccs for dentists in town that see kids that still take TAMU dental insurance?

Thanks y'all!

Gig'em
Jbob04
AG
I would go back to Dr Light and pay out of pocket, she's the best
Esteban du Plantier
AG
We stuck with Light and it's not that she stopped taking insurance, she's just out of network with everyone.

So our insurance pays something, but it ends up being several hundred dollars out of pocket just for cleanings. It ends up being a couple bucks a day across the whole year, so not really a significant expense. But I'm not in love with it.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for clarifying, yes your'e right, out of network - apologies for mischaracterizing. Appreciate your quick reply!
spike427
AG
How old is your child? Erickson takes Delta Dental and sees kids, but I'm not sure about the minimum age. Worth a phone call, though!
dr_boogs
AG
He's 13, thanks I'll give them a call!
AgFan247
AG
Same thing happened to us with our dental insurance, call Dr Lights office and ask them what the out of pocket would be with your insurance for cleanings. IIRC ours was less than $20 a kid.

ETA: don't know about fillings, but I trust Dr Light more than some of these other pediatric outfits in town.

cstat07
AG
Naeger Wright is awesome if you're in network there
KidDoc
AG
Pretty Brazos Valley Pediatric dentistry is in network, they do good work.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ElephantRider
AG
KidDoc said:

Pretty Brazos Valley Pediatric dentistry is in network, they do good work.

Our kids go there, wife seems to approve
threecatcorner
Dr. Kristine Donnelly at Bryan Pediatric Dentistry (https://www.bryankidsteeth.com/) is good.

My kids and I preferred her to Dr. Light.

She is in Bryan though so depending where you live, she might be further away.

Also, I don't work for A&M, so I have no idea if she's in network with your insurance or not.
threecatcorner
Also if you want someone in College Station who will see kids but isn't specifically a kids dentist, Williams Family Dentistry will see kids.
CN
Serious question but do you really need a pediatric dentist for a 13 year old? My wife insisted we continue taking our daughter to Dr. Light after she went out of network which I begrudgingly accepted until a year or two later when I saw that we were practically paying full price for cleanings. We have since switched her to our own dentist (who I have been going to for almost 30 years) with no problems. I think she was about 13 or 14 when we made the switch.
dr_boogs
AG
Serious answer

I don't care where he gets his filling done, I'm just looking for someone that I (Dr. Light) or a community (this thread) trusts, who will do a good job, and ideally will work with TAMU insurance.

Just to be clear, I don't think a pediatric dentist is needed for a 13 year old, but many dentists don't see kids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.