Metroplex
Sponsored by

Friend pondering move from Houston to Garland

3,587 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by walton91
gabehcoud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Said his wife wants to be close to "the arts". Obviously close enough to Dallas for that but I know nothing about Garland. Mid 40s. They don't and won't have kids so school district doesn't matter. Recommend? Run away?

tia
aggie_wes
AG
It's just as characterless and boring as 90% of Houston neighborhoods/suburbs, so... Depending on where they live now they may feel right at home.
akaggie05
AG
It's more blue collar and more affordable than many of the other "popular" burbs, but if they don't care about that (plus the school indifference), then hey. There are old parts and very new parts, which can be unusual compared to other areas that have grown up much faster. Conveniently located with good access to major highways.
Matsui
AG
What's "the arts"? She referring to graffiti?
Trajan88
AG
Maybe consider the Canyon Creek area... Richardson.
chick79
AG
I live in the Richardson ISD portion of Garland. It's a good area. Been here 35 years. Check out the Spring Park area off Jupiter north of Campbell Road. Lots of hidden gems in the area.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
gabehcoud said:

Said his wife wants to be close to "the arts". Obviously close enough to Dallas for that but I know nothing about Garland. Mid 40s. They don't and won't have kids so school district doesn't matter. Recommend? Run away?

tia

Ever seen the movie Zombieland? It starts out in Garland Texas and as the narrator says:

"That guy down there... is me. I'm in Garland, Texas. And it may look like zombies destroyed it, but that's actually just Garland."

Garland is completely and utterly featureless and without anything I would even call "the arts". It's not even close to any arts to speak of. It's surrounded by other featureless suburbs like Mesquite and Richardson. The only arts to speak of are really in Dallas proper and that's not far from Garland. So if that is close enough then they are good.

sanitariex
AG
chick79 said:

I live in the Richardson ISD portion of Garland. It's a good area. Been here 35 years. Check out the Spring Park area off Jupiter north of Campbell Road. Lots of hidden gems in the area.

I agree here. I've worked for Garlsnd for 14 years, and Spring Park really is a hidden gem and the nicest part of Garland.
AG
Trajan88 said:

Maybe consider the Canyon Creek area... Richardson.

bit of a price jump
walton91
Houston doesn't have the arts?
a.froman
AG
Live in Bishop Arts district just south of Downtown Dallas. Good solid neighborhood especially for those without kids
Trajan88
AG
Ooof... you're right.

I know there's been a lot of renovations going on w/ those homes over the years.

Believe CC country club has gone through an update/upgrade

When my folks moved to Plano in the early 70s we used to go to CC in the Summers.
gabehcoud
walton91 said:

Houston doesn't have the arts?

yes but houston also has houston
walton91
True dat but the answer to anything is rarely Garland
Garrelli 5000
AG
There are some nice neighborhoods and whatnot in Garland. As well as a bunch of dumps. It is the poster child for what becomes of so many suburbs. As more suburbs are built, the majority of the older become more and more sad, dull, and depressing.

Your friend's wife is very mistaken or really dumb. Moving to Garland for "the arts" is like moving to Kansas to live in the mountains.
double aught
AG
I recently learned that downtown Garland is surprisingly nice. It's not the nicest place you've ever been, but it's…nice.
Trajan88
AG
" recently learned that downtown Garland is surprisingly nice. It's not the nicest place you've ever been, but it's…nice."

Fortunate Son pizza!
AG
Trajan88 said:

Ooof... you're right.

I know there's been a lot of renovations going on w/ those homes over the years.

When my folks moved to Plano in the early 70s we used to go to CC in the Summers.

that entire area of richardson did a complete turn around. It reminds me of Addison prior to the ****** takeover of the early 00s. a far cry from the post Nortel ghost town.

Sushi Sake alone is worth a trip from inside the loop

Ol Jock 99
AG
Downtown Garland has gone through a legit rebirth. And you can get to downtown Dallas easily enough.
double aught
AG
Trajan88 said:

" recently learned that downtown Garland is surprisingly nice. It's not the nicest place you've ever been, but it's…nice."

Fortunate Son pizza!
Good pizza place! Prices are fair too.
double aught
AG
80085 said:

Trajan88 said:

Ooof... you're right.

that entire area of richardson did a complete turn around. It reminds me of Addison prior to the ****** takeover of the early 00s. a far cry from the post Nortel ghost town.

Sushi Sake alone is worth a trip from inside the loop

We love Sushi Sake
chick79
AG
We live five minutes from Sushi Sake. It's in the Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek area of Richardson. It's become extremely expensive in that area but it's probably the best neighborhood within RISD inside of LBJ along with Lake Highlands. My kids went to school there and JJ Pearce High School. It's a very desirable area and you're gonna pay a lot more there than you will in the RISD portion of Garland (Spring Park). We do love where we live though. There's a reason we've been in the same house for 35 years.
YouBet
AG
Of course Garland does not technically have any "arts". I'm going to err on the side of not being obtuse and assume this gal wants to live not in Dallas proper, but close enough to the cultural and art center of Dallas proper. Which is what the OP essentially said.

If they are in their 40s and don't have kids, Garland seems like an odd choice unless budget is an issue. There are many better places for DINKs(?) than Garland in the DFW area.
double aught
AG
Surprisingly, south Dallas (Pennsylvania ave, for example) is slowly gentrifying. Couldn't believe some of the homes being built there as a drove through recently. I mean, I wouldn't live there, but it's really close to the downtown arts district.
AG
chick79 said:

We live five minutes from Sushi Sake. It's in the Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek area of Richardson. It's become extremely expensive in that area but it's probably the best neighborhood within RISD inside of LBJ along with Lake Highlands. My kids went to school there and JJ Pearce High School. It's a very desirable area and you're gonna pay a lot more there than you will in the RISD portion of Garland (Spring Park). We do love where we live though. There's a reason we've been in the same house for 35 years.

the problem with lake highlands is you are never more than a mile away from somewhere you don't want to be

not as much of a problem in the pearce area of Dallas and Richardson, but they want to throw apartments up everywhere they can so those days are numbered.

Gigem_94
AG
We lived in Canyon Creek for almost 20 years until about 4 years ago and loved the area. It's pricey but very old school feel. Kids would ride their bikes to the ice cream and donut shops. We would hang out at the country club pool during summers. Fishing at the creek and ponds. It was great. And no mandatory HOA!
Redstone
AG
My mom lives in Tyler, which is driving distance from most of the museums of DFW
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
gabehcoud said:

tia
https://www.garlandsummermusicals.org/index.php/granville-arts-center

I have lived in Garland for almost 10 years. I'm retired. Garland is an economical spot to investigate. Does it have "warts". Yes but they all do. I hate to reveal this but when interest rates get better, and housing prices across the Metroplex get real, I am looking at Sachse. Especially the portion that is in Collin county. Sachse is close to Downtown Garland.

Yes, Garland does have Arts and they really work hard on improving them (see attachment )..also they are spending a ton on downtown. I'm not sure I am ready to make that leap but keep an eye on downtown Garland.

City government is pretty good. My council person is a Rice grad and is very responsive. The only problem with government is our House of Representative person (Collin Allred) but Nancy Pelosi has him taking on Ted Cruz and he may be a Texas problem, soon.

I know schools were not a concern but they are fairly good. Parents can pick which one they want their children to attend. Not too familiar with them as our children are grown.

If we still had school age children I would open the checkbook and buy a home in Richardson/Dallas in the JJ Pierce district.
We have finally stopped Medicare Joe B 6/27/2024
warrington
rockwall
Texker
AG
Gigem_94 said:

We lived in Canyon Creek for almost 20 years until about 4 years ago and loved the area. It's pricey but very old school feel. Kids would ride their bikes to the ice cream and donut shops. We would hang out at the country club pool during summers. Fishing at the creek and ponds. It was great. And no mandatory HOA!

We were there for 24 years. It's a great area. We always supported the voluntary HOA as they did a nice job of working with the City.
Absolute
AG
The choice of school thing is somewhat misleading and not exactly true. So schools can be a concern.

That being said, if schools are not a big deal and you want to be inside 190, Garland can be your best bang for the buck. There are nicer areas and okay areas. Have several buyers looking in that area right now.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just claiming my seat at the table in this conversation about my homeland.

I grew up there and don't want to move back, but I'm glad my parents still live there. It's fine. If you enjoy eating out/drinking, you'll spend a lot of time and money on Ubers because there aren't many options in Garland.
Texker
AG
Grew up in North Garland. Spring Park and Firewheel are the areas in Garland I would consider.
Anubus
Garland is the busted up Nissan Altima used car capital of Texas.
Vince Blake
Never expected a thread on Garland to have this many replies. Can't wait to see what the thread on Grand Prairie has in store.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.