This should have been at WTA&M!!

52,355 Views | 297 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still don't get what is "interesting".

If there's a rest of the story, just tell us, don't play Paul Harvey.
Captain Pablo
AG
Dang, Canyon.... take it easy
Captain Pablo
AG
I will say that I have heard that certain A&M administrators were playing the "some of us will lose our jobs if this goes through" card

No idea if this has anything to do with this or not

Captain Pablo
AG
Also, Dr. Green seems to be at odds with a sh/t load of Texas vets, including several Aggie vets I have talked to that say A&M has definitely NOT been taking care of Texas' needs, especially in the East, South, and the South plains

A&M vet school is taking a lot of women, foreigners, and out of staters who have no intention of staying in Texas and serving the understaffed areas, and treating large animals

If we did a better job of serving Texas, this wouldn't be happening
CanyonAg77
AG
Captain Pablo said:

???????

The poster says "this is interesting", says "this is a turn of events", then posts alleged inside knowledge that a retirement age administrator with a decade on the job might be quitting

Where's the interesting or Event turning info?
Captain Pablo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Captain Pablo said:

???????

The poster says "this is interesting", says "this is a turn of events", then posts alleged inside knowledge that a retirement age administrator with a decade on the job might be quitting

Where's the interesting or Event turning info?

Maybe it was interesting To him because he thought maybe there was something behind it. Who knows

I also find it "interesting". Because of the timing. And because of recent events with the legislature

And to bust his balls for "wasting space"

Is there a shortage of space on TexAgs?

I'm just saying, you seem very angry on this whole thread.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's simply rude to paste a wall of text when it's not needed.

Angry? Congrats for being the only person capable of discerning tone on the Internet.

Maybe I should be angry. A colossal waste of taxpayer money should make everyone angry.
Captain Pablo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

It's simply rude to paste a wall of text when it's not needed.

Angry? Congrats for being the only person capable of discerning tone on the Internet.

Maybe I should be angry. A colossal waste of taxpayer money should make everyone angry.

Ok
Cholula Verde
AG
You know Canyon, I really don't worry too much about what folks like you think of me. You have your opinions and I respect that. Unfortunately, you don't seem to know as much about the background on this topic as you want folks to believe and I am not going to be goaded into sharing more than I should on this public forum. As I have stated before, politics is ugly business and there are those in administration who because of their egos and ignorance put themselves on the wrong side of the political spectrum in this situation and others related to the cattle industry in our state. Undeniably, our Chancellor tried like hell to fix this f-up but he can only do so much, and as the saying goes, ignorance can be educated but there is no cure for s*****!
Captain Pablo
AG
Cholula Verde said:

You know Canyon, I really don't worry too much about what folks like you think of me. You have your opinions and I respect that. Unfortunately, you don't seem to know as much about the background on this topic as you want folks to believe and I am not going to be goaded into sharing more than I should on this public forum. As I have stated before, politics is ugly business and there are those in administration who because of their egos and ignorance put themselves on the wrong side of the political spectrum in this situation and others related to the cattle industry in our state. Undeniably, our Chancellor tried like hell to fix this f-up but he can only do so much, and as the saying goes, ignorance can be educated but there is no cure for s*****!

Blue star, sir (or ma'am)
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I am not going to be goaded into sharing more than I should on this public forum

Nobody goaded you. You voluntarily came on a public forum, implying you had some sort of marvelous insider information about the current head of the Vet School, and how her impending departure, according to you, and so far unsupported by any public announcements, is "interesting" and "event turning".

If you don't want to be "goaded" into sharing more than you want to, perhaps you should not have posted at all.

Quote:

Unfortunately, you don't seem to know as much about the background on this topic as you want folks to believe

I have no special knowledge, never claimed to have. I simply have opinions, backed up by experience and education. The Tech school is a waste of money, and will not fulfill its stated need. A&M can fill that need, and is moving to do so through WTAMU.

And we're still waiting on the HECB,
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Why? A&M is not taking care of Texas. A&M is admitting tons of foreign and out of state students because they can charge more. And these people don't stay in Texas. A&M is admitting tons of women who have no desire to care for large animals
https://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/admissions/statistics/

Realize the data is a year or two old, but

It appears that the problem is not enough men applying. Of the qualified applicants, they offered 36% of the men and 37% of the women.

They offered to 14% of the non residents, vs. 37% of the residents. and only 7.5% of the class was offered to non-residents.

So, it appears you're wrong about out-of-state, and sort of right about women. But it appears the problem is that women apply at 4x the rate of men, and I'm not sure how A&M is supposed to fix that.
Cholula Verde
AG
As you pointed out Canyon, "And we're still waiting on the HECB"! If you recall, I have publicly agreed with you on this point in past discussions. Unfortunately the recent going's on in Austin lead me to believe (my opinion only) that the HECB may swing Tech's way if things continue to progress. We can keep on postulating on the need vs waste of resources from here to the next legislative session, however in the end the decision will be made in favor of the folks with the most power and the deepest pocketbooks! My question for you and your fellow WT supporters......how much money are YOU willing to put down to support the Power Brokers who can impact that decision??? Remember, you will have to double down to offset those who will be providing financial support to BOTH sides of this issue!!!
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not a power broker. I'm just a little guy who hates to see taxpayer money wasted through Kingdom Building and (TexAgs censored correct term for male genitalia) Measuring.
Bucketrunner
Tech will always have a small male anatomy syndrome. A vet school won't fix that, lol.
Captain Pablo
AG
When is the HECB decision?
CanyonAg77
AG
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/apps/events/BoardMeetings.cfm

Quote:

The Board generally holds its regular quarterly meetings on the fourth Thursday of every January, April, July, and October. The Board meets at 1200 East Anderson Lane (the THECB offices) in the Board Room. Board meetings start at 8:30 A.M. and generally last until about 4:00 P.M. Meetings are broadcast live on the internet.
One assumes that staff workers are investigating issues in the interim.
Cholula Verde
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Tech will always have a small male anatomy syndrome. A vet school won't fix that, lol.
LOL! While your comment may be true in the short run I would caution you about using the word ALWAYS. Let me remind you, we stood in the shadow of the big burnt orange phalus for a long, long time. Given the current trends I would say Tech will out grow the "small male anatomy syndrome" in years to come. As our leadership continues its current path of courting the urban dwellers and shunning the parts of our state that brought it to the dance, so Tech has the opportunity to embrace those that made us who we are. My business takes me all over this state and it is increasingly evident Tech is making a bigger and bigger footprint, well outside of the High Plains region they are known for supporting. In some areas east I would even say they have displaced A&M. That my friend is really sad! My opinion, a slice of Humble Pie every once in a while might serve us well, you know, just to remind us of the shadow where we once stood. If the HECB decision goes in favor of Tech, a really big glass of milk should help the pie go down easier!!
Cholula Verde
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

So a person in their late 60s who has been Dean for 10 years is retiring (according to you, haven't seen it published)

How does that change anything?

And thanks for wasting space unnecessarily quoting her whole article.
Story has become more interesting.....it appears the appointed Interim Dean has decided to leave CVM and retire to his own private Island!
CanyonAg77
AG
Get back to me when you have a link.
Cholula Verde
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Letters sent to CVM faculty don't have "a link".
CanyonAg77
AG
Cholula Verde said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Letters sent to CVM faculty don't have "a link".
Quote:

I am not going to be goaded into sharing more than I should on this public forum.

Captain Pablo
AG
This is all pretty funny

BTW, spoke to another Aggie vet this week from west Texas

Fully supports Texas Tech Vet School

Says A&M not getting the job done. Many parts of the state underserved, and crisis is looming due to impending retirements
CanyonAg77
AG
I talked to three Aggie vets this past week, all from Panhandle/South Plains (one, my friend, was retiring)

All said there is a need for large animal vets in the area.

All agreed that Tech is going about it the wrong way, and the proposed vet school will do nothing to fulfill the need.
CanyonAg77
AG
Meanwhile, in Canyon...

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/wt-tamu-officials-announce-22-veterinary-program
Quote:

CANYON, Texas (KVII) Students from the Texas Panhandle won't have to travel far from home to become Aggie veterinarians thanks to a new 2+2 program announced Thursday morning by West Texas A&M and Texas A&M universities. Once all the necessary approvals have been obtained, veterinary students will be able to spend the first two years of their veterinary curriculum in Canyon on the WTAMU campus in the Veterinary Education, Research & Outreach (VERO) facility.

During a press conference at the construction site of the $22-million VERO facility being built on the WTAMU campus, WTAMU President Walter Wendler, Texas A&M President Michael Young, and the Carl B. King Dean of Veterinary Medicine at Texas A&M Eleanor Green discussed the decade-long plan to bring Texas A&M's top 4-ranked Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program to WTAMU through the VERO initiative.

Beginning May 2020, veterinary students wanting to work in food animal or mixed animal medicine will have the option of completing a number of new clinical rotations in the Texas Panhandle, as part of their yearlong fourth-year clinical rotations.

"Texas A&M University has been committed to extending its nationally-ranked College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences to more effectively reach citizens across the expanse of Texas. An example of this is the VERO facility, funded through our Permanent University Fund," Young said.
"The 2+2 program extends the reach of both Texas A&M and West Texas A&M, which is especially critical in an area that is home to the largest food animal production region in the nation," he said. "Bringing excellent faculty here enhances the effectiveness of the college and opens new opportunities for students in the Texas Panhandle to become Aggie veterinarians."

The Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM) is in the process of seeking approval for the 2+2 program, with a plan to open the application process in the fall of 2020 and begin offering DVM classes at WTAMU for an initial cohort of 20 first- and second-year DVM students beginning in the fall of 2021.

Through the 2+2 program, veterinary students will be able to take the classes during their first two years of veterinary school through the VERO program, a partnership between WTAMU and the CVM, and then travel to College Station for their final two years.
Much more at link

The decade long plan......it's almost as if Tech saw A&M taking the lead, and tried to encroach on an existing program....as I've said from the first.
Cholula Verde
AG
Great article Canyon. Thank you for sharing!
Aggie1
AG
Very interesting thread on premium

https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/3058550

Quote:

He was very supportive of students in the Panhandle -- he provided many scholarships and made sure that they received in-state tuition to OSU.
OSU has an excellent Vet Program already - and it appears in-state tuition is available according to this poster.

Kansas State also has a very good Vet program.

https://www.hppr.org/post/t-boone-pickens-had-deep-ties-texas-panhandle

Why in the world would anyone from the Panhandle (or anywhere else in the CONUS) take a course of action in a "Canadian Model" program is beyond me...
CanyonAg77
AG
A little context for those of us who don't do Premium?
TommyBrady
AG
Lol Tech is one of the lowest ranked academic institutions in the country. It's ranked 218th nationally (9th in Texas) and would be the lowest ranked power 5 University academically if it wasn't for West Virginia being 10 spots lower (Go Big 12). So yes Tech is on the rise as long as the West Texas Politicians keep forcing money through the legislature for programs that will underwhelm and under perform just like Tech as a whole. There will be a Tech Vet School in Amarillo but the best facilities, program, and staff will be in Canyon at WTAMU and any smart kid in the panhandle will choose TAMU over that cheaply designed, cut every corner tech program. Tech will be left with the kids that couldn't get into Colorado St, Ok St, TAMU, K State, LSU, and couldn't afford to go to the Caribbean. Acting like Tech has done anything to supplant A&M is ignorant at best.
Cholula Verde
AG
TommyBrady said:

LOL Tech is one of the lowest ranked academic institutions in the country. It's ranked 218th nationally (9th in Texas) and would be the lowest ranked power 5 University academically if it wasn't for West Virginia being 10 spots lower (Go Big 12). So yes Tech is on the rise as long as the West Texas Politicians keep forcing money through the legislature for programs that will underwhelm and under perform just like Tech as a whole. There will be a Tech Vet School in Amarillo but the best facilities, program, and staff will be in Canyon at WTAMU and any smart kid in the panhandle will choose TAMU over that cheaply designed, cut every corner tech program. Tech will be left with the kids that couldn't get into Colorado St, Ok St, TAMU, K State, LSU, and couldn't afford to go to the Caribbean. Acting like Tech has done anything to supplant A&M is ignorant at best.
Well, as the saying goes, ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but there is no cure for _ _ _ _ _ _! Lucky for Tech most folks don't rely on the Rankings to determine where they want to attend college. It seems they have set a new record enrollment this year at 38,803! You said they are 9th in Texas.....let's see they are behind TU, TAMU, Rice, Baylor, Houston, TCU, TU Dallas, and ???...I give up! Real world....I know I didn't ask the Pharmacist at the local CVS in BCS which Pharmacy school she attended before I got my prescription filled. Turns out she did her undergrad at TAMU (Animal Science) and got her Doctorate at Tech. Also quite sure my grandma didn't grill the MD who performed her cataract surgery before he provided his service....as you can guess he was educated at Tech. I will wager it will be the same for veterinarians. Based on my education and professional experience it will not be any more difficult for ME to weed out the bad Tech trained vets than it currently is to weed out the bad Aggie Vets, bad OSU Vets, bad CSU Vets, bad KSU Vets, bad Purdue Vets, bad Iowa State vets, bad Tennessee Vets (and they have two Vet schools In Tennessee....yes, think about that two Vet schools in TN), bad Auburn Vets, bad LSU Vets, bad Canadian Vets etc., etc., etc. Finally, I am not a graduate of Tech. For most of my adult life....that would be under and post grad education at TAMU.... I believed Techsters in general were the most arrogant alphabet holes I had ever been around. Although I feel Tech still has a disproportionate number of arrogant alphabet holes when you compare them to the super folks who inhabit that region of the state, I am quickly coming to the sad realization that my own amazing alma mater has been consumed by an even greater number of arrogant alphabet holes.......as witnessed by numerous derogatory comments related to the Vet School topic across multiple TexAgs threads. IDK...I guess that is what happens to a great university when it starts to place too much emphasis on its rankings and not staying the course along the path that made it great in the first place!
TommyBrady
AG
You have changed my mind...those stupid rankings only look at incoming GPA's and ACT scores and Graduation rates and stupid things like average income after graduation. The dumbest thing ever is that they actually look at the contributions the University makes to Academia and Research. Those idiots even have schools like MIT and Harvard ranked at the top! Those schools ain't no better than Tech! You are so right on the Vet School too! I hope you can forgive me for using logic and data. Wreck Em! YEE YEE
CanyonAg77
AG
On a slightly less poo-flinging note, the state recently came out with a survey on (people) doctor shortages in Texas. Despite Tech having medical schools in the Panhandle and West Texas for years, there is a critical shortage of doctors.

Perhaps the base idea that if you train them in the Panhandle, they will stay in the Panhandle, is flawed?

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/health-science/2019/09/16/346203/remedy-to-texas-doctor-nurse-and-dentist-shortage-unlikely-anytime-soon-state-says/

Cholula Verde
AG
Great post Canyon! Thanks
Aggie1
AG
https://www.kcbd.com/2019/09/19/tech-administration-host-vet-school-groundbreaking-amarillo/

Tech administration host vet school groundbreaking in Amarillo

https://twitter.com/TTUVetMed/status/1174641872989577218/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1174641872989577218&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcbd.com%2F2019%2F09%2F19%2Ftech-administration-host-vet-school-groundbreaking-amarillo%2F

It is estimated the school will cost about $90 million for facilities, but private donations have been raised that will aid in covering those costs, according to The Texas Tribune. This initial $17 million will allow Tech to start designing curriculum and overall development.
LINK: Texas Tech receives $17 million to build the state's second vet school
The development of this facility means the State of Texas will have two vet schools, something Texas A&M has had a monopoly on since 1916. However, Tech still needs approval from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and another third-party accreditor for its academic program.
The university hopes to enroll its first class into the school by 2021. The four-year school is expected to serve 240 doctor of veterinary medicine students, an additional 150-200 non-DVM graduate students, and about 90 faculty and staff.
In June, the System's Board of Regents approved an $8.4 million budget that established a design, professional services, administrative costs and other items related to the school. The facility will include both a main site and a large-animal facility off Loop 335 in Amarillo.
CanyonAg77
AG
Do do they feel this confident of approval, or are they trying to force HECB to approve?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.