West Texas
Sponsored by

What is the definitive boundary line for West Texas?

6,348 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by GordonWood
Hewey Calloway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KoolHandLuke said:

As mentioned above, 277 would be a solid East -West Boundary that would end up with Northern boundary in San Angelo, and then making a line straight over to Midland/Odessa and on to NM. I'm pretty sure most folks would accept that. But then again you always have the people who argue that Lubbock is West Texas, and it damn sure isn't. Of course I'm from West of The Pecos, so I think anything on the other side of the river is questionable.

This is the correct answer.
fixer
Eastern edge of panhandle, draw a line straight down, just east of del rio. Everything west of that is West Texas in my view. It isn't a perfect definition but dang close.
LukeDuke
AG
UTExan
Wiki: West Texas
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
GordonWood
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

fuzzyfan said:

Abilene south to Del Rio. Abilene to Lubbock. Pecos to Marathon.
Anything north of Snyder and Lamesa and Seminole is The Plains. I do consider Abilene to be the furthest point east of West Texas.
IMHO the railroad overpass where 67 leaves Santa Anna heading to Ballinger marks the Easternmost point in West Texas
jja79
AG
Not to people from west Texas.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
GordonWood said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

fuzzyfan said:

Abilene south to Del Rio. Abilene to Lubbock. Pecos to Marathon.
Anything north of Snyder and Lamesa and Seminole is The Plains. I do consider Abilene to be the furthest point east of West Texas.
IMHO the railroad overpass where 67 leaves Santa Anna heading to Ballinger marks the Easternmost point in West Texas
I dont know about that. That is a little far east of West Texas in my eyes. Ballinger is a the edge of hill country in my eyes. Santa Anna is too far east to me. Ballinger has small cliffs and rocky terrain, too much water and vegetation for West Texas.
GordonWood
AG
It is more visual than geographical. When you look west from that spot you feel like you are leaving civilization behind for good, especially of you are heading into a sunset. Lost Pines in Bastrop is not East Texas either, but it feels like it when you're there.
jja79
AG
Are you saying west Texas isn't civilization?

I asked my 95 year old mother who moved to Balmorhea 74 years ago her thought. Sterling City down to Barnhart down to Ozona
GordonWood
AG
jja79 said:

Are you saying west Texas isn't civilization?

I asked my 95 year old mother who moved to Balmorhea 74 years ago her thought. Sterling City down to Barnhart down to Ozona
of course there is civilization in West Texas! However, if the discussion is cultural, rather than geographical, the line has to be drawn further east, based on the following evidence!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.