Life in Marshall TX

3,088 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by easttexasaggie04
Malamute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you who live in and around Marshall, how would you describe the community? Good place to raise a family? Insular or open? Community involvement center around civics or church or schools, or do you need to have been local for generations?

What are the big upsides and downsides?

The Chamber of Commerce and city webpages are very positive and I would expect them to be.
Owlagdad
Lived there in mid 80s. Coached there and school was better than I thought it would be. Sort of clique ish, but may have changed. You will have to find church you like, don't know much about them anymore. Old money fought progress for years, but some growth up and down 59 now. Hallsville is nice area and closer to Longview where there is more. But school is huge and land is high now. Harleton schools very small but good down to earth people 14 miles away.
Enough Drs and Lawyers and ETBU (they have really developed that place for the better, surrounding neighborhood as well) folks to be civic minded to keep the place up. I think little Private school now has high school.
I wouldn't be afraid to live there with my family.
Lake o pines, Caddo and Jefferson make quick get aways.
AggieGunslinger
AG
There is a poster on the OB, EastTexasAggie04, that lives in Marshall. He doesn't frequent this board much but you might reach out to him via PM.
MPD280
Malamute
AG
Txt sent. Thank you.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Lifelong Marshall resident here. I'm happy to help however I can.

There are a few options for schools. You could go the MISD route (which recently passed a school bond and has new schools), Trinity (the private school where our kids go), or you could put your kids in one of the small school districts outside of Marshall. Each has it's pros and cons.

As with any bible belt city there are plenty of church options. If you told me your denomination I could probably point you in the right direction. Our family attends Trinity Episcopal Church.

My wife and I enjoy tennis and we joined a tennis club in Shreveport. We find ourselves going to Shreveport more and more these days to play tennis, buy groceries, go to Target, etc. We'll probably move to Shreveport within the next 2-3 years if I had to guess.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.