2013 Ford F150 - P0720 code

22,998 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rodney Farva
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was driving my 2013 F150 and the wrench flashed along with the check engine light. Intermittently it is doing something weird where the speedometer stops working, though the truck is drivable.

Went by Autozone and its a P0720 code - Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit.

I did some googling, but couldn't figure out the complexity of this repair? It seems the sensor may be faulty and it looks like on a 2013 that's inside the transmission.

I'm going to start calling around to some local shops (Houston near Bellaire), but curious if anybody had any take on what kind of repair cost this might be?
atxaggie07
AG
Paging 1ags...
-------------------------------------------------------
quote:
"Some people, when a certain team has a big year, they'll buy a jersey," he said. "OK, did you go there? No. Are you from Austin? No. Did you work there? No. Do you know anybody who worked there? No. Well, nice shirt, you know?"
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This could be the Output speed sensor, or the lead frame. P0720 is part of the "warranty Extension" for the lead frame. The extension covers you for 10 years or 150K total miles.

The good news is its 2.1 hours to fix it and you get a free trans fluid change since they have to drop the pan to do it. The warranty extension is 19N01. Here's a link from my google drive for 19N01.

When was your build date? Is this the boost?

The second is a software flash recall that can be done at the same time, so that the PCM does NOT downshift into first gear when the lead frame fails. The recall is 19S07 but I think it was updated because Ford didn't have a software fix for the 2013 until Q4 2019.

Heres a copy of the recall on my google Drive.

Call your dealer.
AgLiving06
Build date looks to be 7/13.

It's a 5.0 as well.

I did check and I was under the recall. Just wasn't sure that this was applicable. But I'll call the dealer near me tomorrow to set up an appointment.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Make sure you
Have both done.
Hwy30East
Had the same issue/codes with my f150 a couple of months ago. 1ags nailed it in his post. All is good now.
AgLiving06
Dropped it off at the dealer today. Said it's at least an 80% chance it will be covered under warranty, but they need to "diagnose it" to confirm whether it's covered under the warranty or not.
AgLiving06
Got the call. It's a warranty item.

Only cost to me will be paying for a new transmission filter (dealer said it wasn't covered by the warranty). At just over 60k miles on the original, I figured it made sense to do since I'd have no other reason to do it later.

Thanks for all the help!
sts7049
AG
they're charging you for the filter??
AgLiving06
Yeah. They claim ford doesn't cover that as part of the warranty.

They'd put the old one back or I could pay for a new one. Thought it just made sense to get a new one and have everything done at once.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Filter is only a few bucks.

Good on them for actually suggesting to replace it!
02skiag
AG
Thanks for this thread! I was going to take my f150 to my normal shop when I found this. I had the p0720 code, speedometer stopped working, and occasional trouble in 1-2nd gears. I was only 10k away from being out of the warranty window so luckily this didn't happen a year from now.
lkx398
AG
Also glad I saw this...

I have a 2014 (build date 12/13) that has started acting similar to what others are posting (speedometer shutting off, airbag light, yellow wrench). The only difference is I don't have an error code stored. Am I SOL given my build date is just outside of the range from the info linked by 1Ags? Should I just wait for it to get worse and throw the code?
Picard
AG
lkx398 said:

Also glad I saw this...

I have a 2014 (build date 12/13) that has started acting similar to what others are posting (speedometer shutting off, airbag light, yellow wrench). The only difference is I don't have an error code stored. Am I SOL given my build date is just outside of the range from the info linked by 1Ags? Should I just wait for it to get worse and throw the code?

You sure you don't have a code stored? The check engine light doesn't have to be on and a standard scan from Auto Zone isn't going to read the code. You need a scan tool that can read transmission codes.

Also there are multiple codes that qualify. Mine was P0722 - OSS sensor no signal.
lkx398
AG
Picard said:

lkx398 said:

Also glad I saw this...

You sure you don't have a code stored? The check engine light doesn't have to be on and a standard scan from Auto Zone isn't going to read the code. You need a scan tool that can read transmission codes.

Also there are multiple codes that qualify. Mine was P0722 - OSS sensor no signal.

Will a normal OBDII code reader not see transmission codes?
ccard257
AG
Bumping this as I just ran into this issue today. I'm assuming there is no recall/warranty that covers this on a 2013 with 220k miles but would love to find out I'm wrong. Otherwise I'll take it to my usual guy.
N8Dawg05
AG
Just had this happen to me in August. Went almost a month without my daily driver as the part was on back order (allegedly was going to come off national back order at the end of September).

There is a customer satisfaction program that will cover the part and labor (and the part is $400-$500 by itself. Look for: Customer Satisfaction Program 19N01. Here is a link it from the NHTSA.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162411-0001.pdf

Edit to add that if your truck is in the covered range, this program is good for 10 years / 150,000 miles.
Rodney Farva
AG
Rehashing this thread- anyone do this work themselves (lead frame replacment)? Lots of videos online, just curious if anyone's actually done it.

I haven't pulled any codes, but experiencing the tell tale symptoms and I fall in the affected years (2013 F150).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.