Keating Toyota scammed my elderly parents

62,925 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Irish 2.0
AgCPA95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lb3 said:

I purchased a vehicle from a Keating dealer in 2022 and luckily I knew their reputation from TexAgs. In the finance office I got out my calculator and checked the loan amortization and caught them bumping the interest rate about two and a half percent over what we negotiated.

So on truth in lending section of the purchase documents (required by law) they stated a lower interest rate but then showed a payment based on a higher rate?

I can so see the bait and switch on claiming they never agreed to lower rate as they know you could never prove it but intentionally deceiving you with a lower rate on the form than what they are using in the loan is another level of criminal.
cliffbob64@gmail.com
Righteousgemstone: Please contact me, my wife and I may be able to join your legal actiion
Alpine
AG
Funny this popped up today. I just got a text from Lloyd at Keating Toyota in San Marcos offering to buy my vehicle I bought from them 2 years ago. I replied saying I will never do business with them again and they did not respond.
lb3
AG
AgCPA95 said:

lb3 said:

I purchased a vehicle from a Keating dealer in 2022 and luckily I knew their reputation from TexAgs. In the finance office I got out my calculator and checked the loan amortization and caught them bumping the interest rate about two and a half percent over what we negotiated.

So on truth in lending section of the purchase documents (required by law) they stated a lower interest rate but then showed a payment based on a higher rate?

I can so see the bait and switch on claiming they never agreed to lower rate as they know you could never prove it but intentionally deceiving you with a lower rate on the form than what they are using in the loan is another level of criminal.
They never showed me a truth in lending statement. We discussed the rate with the salesman but they never showed me any paperwork with the rate listed, just the payment. If it was listed somewhere he never pointed it out or asked me to initial it.
Redstone
AG
Went to McCombs in 2020, I-10 and 1604, and didn't have an issue
drewser95
AG
Toyota financing arm fined $60M for lending practices:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2023/11/20/toyota-motor-financial-fine.html

Might be more of an issue Toyota-wide? Stinks because I think the vehicles themselves are great (currently on my third 4Runner).
FunnyFarm14
AG
Beck & Masten did the same thing last time I bought a truck. I left on all the warranties and crap when signing the paperwork, and then canceled them all within the week.

Worst part - they wouldn't sell the truck without all the crap, but had no issue with me canceling for full amount later. I did just that....but in order to cancel, I had to make a return trip to the dealer to do it. I made a very clear point of walking into the managers office to give my displeasure after i had done it.
The Dog Lord
AG
Redstone said:

Went to McCombs in 2020, I-10 and 1604, and didn't have an issue

Tried to work with McCombs Ford in 2017. Wouldn't talk to me about "price," just monthly payments. Told them a few times I wanted to talk price. They kept dropping the number for monthly payments to see if that would get me to bite. Told them to **** off and left.

Went to Boerne and got a full breakdown, including TT&L, without even asking them for it. Finance guys weren't pushy at all and told me they could do whatever custom plan I wanted for the part I was financing. They got 2 sales within a few weeks out of that since the wife was about to car shop too (they didn't know that).
GeeBee
AG
drewser95 said:

Toyota financing arm fined $60M for lending practices:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2023/11/20/toyota-motor-financial-fine.html

Might be more of an issue Toyota-wide? Stinks because I think the vehicles themselves are great (currently on my third 4Runner).

I was just coming to this thread to post this. It's absolutely a Toyota thing. The stuff they mentioned in the fine are all the things the dealer I deal with tried to get me to buy. They start drawing pictures and how you need this, and your warranty doesn't cover everything after 12k miles, and you need GAP coverage, and wheel insurance "extras". No, no, no, and no.

I'm usually not a dick about it and politely tell them no, but after reading that I'm going to start having to be a dick about it. Probably will avoid the finance office and just do everything over the phone or online.

I've had it happen 2x while buying a Toyota. Caught it one time where the shady finance guy tried to extend the terms by 6 mo. The last time when I bought my tundra off of lease was the worst. They tried to put all kinds of **** on the deal. They also lied and said I had to do the paperwork through the dealer since it was a Toyota lease.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Just bought a Toyota (different dealership), and I had to go through the finance office even though I was paying cash. I had negotiated the price over the phone. I also told the GM that I would leave if the paperwork was one penny over the negotiated drive out price. I also said, I do not want any of the finance office offers. To their credit, I went into the finance office and it took about 5 minutes with no upsell offers.
Donut03
AG
What Toyota dealerships don't do this to customers in Texas? I'm trying to help my parents get a rav4. Thanks!
aggiepaintrain
AG
my connection does not, they are in the Houston area
aggiepaintrain@gmail.com if interested
MexiaAg86
AG
aggiedata said:

dubi said:

SCHTICK00 said:

What else does Keating own, so I know to stay away and tell everyone the same?
Keating owns almost everything in BCS.

But not the Toyota dealership in B/CS.
Does Keating own the Mercedes dealership in CS?
aggiedata
AG
Yes
MexiaAg86
AG
aggiedata said:

Yes
Well crap! I guess I won't be shopping there anymore.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Glad to see this thread pop back up after seeing Aggieland Chevy's site sponsor thread go sideways...
Frisco86
AG
agracer said:

Go up to the dealer with your parents, ask to speak to the General Manger and calmly talk to him about your concerns and issues.

If they refuse to do anything, us the phrase "deceptive business practices, fraud, lying, and theft and taking advantage of old people" loud enough for the nearby customers to hear you and FOLLOW THRU with everything everyone has posted above. If a simple letter from a lawyer (yes it will cost you some $$) will get their attention and require them to spend $$ on their own lawyer.

Hopefully there is an AG lawyer that would do this pro bono.
Jbob04
AG
Looks like those ads have been pulled from the site.
Frisco86
AG
I ask for price, trade in and rate for 48 months. I too were given monthly payment for 72 months. This was a Toyota dealership in Metroplex. We did this multiple times where he went to talk to mgr. Finally I said you must be on crack as you are not listening. Rattled him a bit as he went to get mgr. Mind you this was just before 9/11 happened. He left his calculator out. I punched in my numbers and had a number for him and his mgr for 48 months when they came back. They didn't know I had the calculator. Mgr started rattling off some numbers much higher than mine for 60 months but lower than the salesman was quoting.

I pulled the calculator out with my number. Said here is my 48 month number based on price, trade in, and rate. Mgr was shocked and asked where I got the calculator. I said your salesman left it on the table. He *****ed about trade in and said it was too high. I let them know I was walking that was my payment number. Miraculously he found a "guy" in Oklahoma that would buy my car from them and we were good to go.

Next car I bought was used 2010 BMW 650i, and I bought with cash from a Lamborghini dealership in Houston. Was 30 minutes back and forth of them sending me 100+ pics and a quick negotiation. They had just bought it auction, so was a very quick turnaround for them. Never ever saw it in person. Delivered to my doorstep in Frisco for $400. Still own it, although ready for a another new used car. They were awesome to deal with. Quick, honest, straight-forward and fair.
Brazos Born
Donut03 said:

What Toyota dealerships don't do this to customers in Texas? I'm trying to help my parents get a rav4. Thanks!
Jeff Hunter Toyota in Waco was upfront with everything.
aggiedent
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Glad to see this thread pop back up after seeing Aggieland Chevy's site sponsor thread go sideways...

The mods tried to clean up the negative responses, which just brought even more. The threads were removed a couple hours ago.

I wonder if this social media embarrassment gets back to Mr. Keating and perhaps he starts to look into some of these disgusting business practices?

Yeah……..I know……probably………and fat chance.
floridAG
AG
Don't even get me started on AutoNation. They are awful here in Florida. We will never go back to one of their dealerships.
Irish 2.0
Doubt it. He's too busy with his race cars to worry about how his managers have torpedoed his reputation amongst Ags.
Of course it was for that. In what universe did you think it was okay to post a naked man spreading open his butt cheeks on our platform?
ElephantRider
AG
I will never buy a vehicle from a Keating dealership. Even in an industry filled with crooks, they stand out
MTTANK
AG
aggiedent said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

The mods tried to clean up the negative responses, which just brought even more. The threads were removed a couple hours ago.

I wonder if this social media embarrassment gets back to Mr. Keating and perhaps he starts to look into some of these disgusting business practices?

This is a culture deal. I bought a Titan last year from CS Nissan (Keating). My salesman was awesome, he told me he was really working to become a manager, and had been there a number of years. My Finance guy was rude and pushy and misrepresented something (lied). I actually had to go back to the dealership the next day and get it subtracted from the loan, he was pissed and rude. I got a survey after the purchase, and gave everyone good marks but the finance guy. Guess who they gave the manager position to?? The crooked finance guy that I gave a scathing review.
Aggie71013
AG
I'm not usually one for big government, but the auto dealer network really need to be broken up via trust busters. Just look at College Station. Keating has 50% of the brands. The consumer experience has not improved with large outfits owning so many dealers.

Ford - Keating
Chevy - Keating
Nissan - Keating
BMW - Keating
Mercedes - Keating
Hyundai - Keating

Dodge - Lithia
Buick - Sterling
Kia - Sterling
Subaru - Sterling
Toyota - Purdy Group (Costa Rican company)
Honda - Allen

ags4rocks
AG
Agreed! Everyone else has to go through anti-trust issues, but car dealers don't?? Doesn't make sense!!
Sea Speed
AG
aggiedent said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

Feel free to PM me what happened. I completely missed it.
maroon barchetta
Same. I saw the thread title but figured I would get into it later.
TJM90
Wow.
rafer69
The exact scenario happened to me at Allen Honda here in CS.
My truck went from an agreed upon $54k to the over $74k.
I went back the next day and had them remove all the items that I never agreed to and the reluctantly did. My monthly payment however did not change.
Needless to say I won't do business with them again but I fear this is the "new way" of selling cars these days and unfortunately sounds like it's become commonplace.
brownandred
rafer69 said:

I went back the next day and had them remove all the items that I never agreed to and the reluctantly did. My monthly payment however did not change.
Needless to say I won't do business with them again but I fear this is the "new way" of selling cars these days and unfortunately sounds like it's become commonplace.

I'm sorry, but adding $20k for warranties and nitrogen and the "shop bill" is not commonplace,
I can't believe you signed initially.
All car dealerships have their problems and unethical employees but none take it to the level of Allen Honda. The State of Texas should be investigating them and they could be already. When a retired teacher puts $20k down on a new Civic and finances $25k+ there's something very wrong.

rafer69
Agreed!

They even tried to charge me for tinting my windows that were already tinted before the truck arrived.
Even the tinters in house said they hadn't tinted them.
ElephantRider
AG
rafer69 said:

Allen Honda might as well be on the Keating list. I was ready to pull the trigger on an Accord a few years ago, and they waited until the last minute to tell me about the mark-up and add-ons (over $5k). Even though the specific car I was going to buy was in transit and didn't have the add-ons yet, they refused to sell the car without them. Walked out immediately.
justnobody79
just think of how many times these scams and tricks actually work on a customer that doesn't know better. gross.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.