Finally going to buy something new

7,001 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Complete Idiot
vansprinkle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, new car talk. I have a couple prerequisites:
1) Manual
2) 4 doors
3) car
4) new, will be passed down to my daughter in 6 years then my son 2 years later
5) "sporty"

Looks like I'm pretty much stuck with a Civic Si, Integra, WRX, Jetta GLI, Golf, or Elantra N. CT4 V Blackwing or M3 would be sweet, but I already have a big boat payment and don't want to add a big car payment to the bills.

I went to the Houston Auto show and put the kids in the back seat of the BRZ, Mustang, Camaro, etc., and even though my kids are tiny, those back seats are just too small for a comfortable drive (I'm 6' and couldn't sit comfortably enough to drive a manual with my daughter behind me).

I'd love to get something older and cheaper, but used car prices are still stupid, and my current vehicles are 8, 10, and 16 years old (will dump the 16 year old Fit when I get the new whip).

Thoughts? Anyone driven any of these newer models?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Neighbor got a brand new 4-door WRX (white). Looks sharp.
TSW2012
AG
Price insurance for a teen on each. The Subaru will be expensive
Flaith
AG
Price range?
Flaith
AG
If you're out of the gate planning to keep it 10 years (6 + 2 + 2) then I would probably just get the Civic Si and enjoy the sweet feel of the Honda shifter hitting VTEC, yo

Hell, the Civic Sport would be cheaper to insure, and it still has a 180hp turbo engine. That's 20 more hp than the Si had when I was in High School.
drumboy
AG
TSW2012 said:

Price insurance for a teen on each. The Subaru will be expensive
I had a Civic Si in my early 20s and a couple WRX wagons in my mid 20s and insurance wasn't much of a difference if any at all.

WRX was infinitely more fun to drive, both were 5 speeds.

Wouldn't want a vw that long due to German maintenance.
FightinTAC08
AG
you've got most of the list. I would add the Mazda 3 hatchback (although manual is limited in colors and trims) and GR corolla (but good luck getting one). I have not driven any of them but listened to more than enough car reviews and have sat in several.

Integra - overpriced when compared to the civic si. but i do love Acura's blue exterior paint.
Golf/- I believe they took away all the buttons on these and put them all in the infotainment and not liked. but VW's always feel more "premium" at least at waist level and up.
Elantra N - seems to be a good balance of a lot of features and has a more of a sleeper look. saw one yesterday in black and without the badging and red, it looks like every other import sedan. the black hid the aggressive lines more than the blues they have.
WRX- I can't stand the plastic fender flares and bumpers Subaru is adding to everything. makes it look cheap.
GR corolla - this thing has been hyped up for a long time, but styling is too aggressive/funky for me. I'm sure its the best sporty car here unless you can go civic type R
barney94
AG
I'd consider Jetta GLI. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
vansprinkle
AG
I hadn't really thought about the Mazda, since the 3 doesn't have a turbo option in manual. I may have to check on out, but on paper it doesn't seem as good a deal as the Civic Si.
idAg09
vansprinkle said:

I hadn't really thought about the Mazda, since the 3 doesn't have a turbo option in manual. I may have to check on out, but on paper it doesn't seem as good a deal as the Civic Si.
I picked up an Accord 2.0 with a six speed manual back in November and it is fun to drive. Can fit my three young kids in the back seat too (not full car seats - two in boosters). I recommend the accord but 2020 was last year they made these so 10th gen will be hard to find in 6mt.

I was surprised insurance was 30% more on the accord than my 2018 Tundra for the same coverage.
MRB10
AG
Since you included it, the correct answer is Blackwing.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Tim Weaver
Honda/Acura if you are planning on handing it down to your kids. None of those other cars will be reliable enough to make it all the way through you and two kids.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bronco
vansprinkle
AG
idAg09 said:

vansprinkle said:

I picked up an Accord 2.0 with a six speed manual back in November and it is fun to drive. Can fit my three young kids in the back seat too (not full car seats - two in boosters). I recommend the accord but 2020 was last year they made these so 10th gen will be hard to find in 6mt.

I was surprised insurance was 30% more on the accord than my 2018 Tundra for the same coverage.

Dang, may have to keep an eye on those. That would probably be at the top of my list of new ones had a manual.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Stinger?
Rexter
Corolla GR

300 hp, turbo, 6 speed manual
Hincemm
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Stinger?

Is there a manual option I'm unaware of?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Hincemm said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Stinger?

m
2.0t
vansprinkle
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Hincemm said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Stinger?

m
2.0t

I don't think that's an option in 2023, but it's tough using their website on my phone so I may be missing something.
80sGeorge
AG
May be mistaken but believe Acords are always at the top of the most stolen list.
cryption
Jetta GLI would be my vote. Sounds like you need to go drive cars
D Nauti
Miata is always the answer. You don't want the kids piling so many friends in the car that they can't concentrate on the driving part.
Dill-Ag13
AG
+1. Used manual accord 2.0t is my #1. Too bad they discontinued the manual
TSJ
AG
Scatpack Challenger with a manual.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
vansprinkle said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Hincemm said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Stinger?

m
2.0t

I don't think that's an option in 2023, but it's tough using their website on my phone so I may be missing something.

That cars swan song is 2023.

Could always snag a 21-22 Corolla SE with the 2.0 and 6mt.
theJonatron
AG
barney94 said:

Lmfao I had GLI and it was the worst car I've ever owned. "German engineering" my ass. I've had 8 cars and that is on the absolute bottom. I'd rather have a stock civic than that pos again.

Get a focus ST or mazdaspeed 3.
Maintenance is easy and they have enough power to be fun.
PLUM LOCO
AG
barney94 said:

We have been very pleased with our '19 GLI.
vansprinkle
AG
Test drove an auto Integra on Friday. I went to 2 dealers that told me they had a manual in stock, neither had one when I showed up for my scheduled test drive. Nice car but was overall underwhelmed. That may just be an auto thing though, because all reviews I've seen are raving about the car in manual.

Hopped in a WRX after the Integra test. The power difference is immediately noticeable and the car is just more fun. May be due to rowing my own gears, not sure.

Overall Integra is very nice, WRX has the power. Also looking at 36 mpg in the Acura vs. 26 in the Subaru… Acura doesn't require premium gas, Subaru does…

The Acura dealer now has their manual Integra in stock (it arrived sometime Friday after my scheduled test drive), so I'll have to swing back by tomorrow to check it out.

I did finally find an Si in stock, but the dealer is an hour away, added $3k in stupid crap add-ons like nitrogen, and won't allow a test drive. Will work on negotiating that crap off the car over the phone before making that drive from west Houston to east Houston (nav says 1 hr, may take 1.5-2 with traffic).
theJonatron
AG
I think for what you're looking for you should stick with Acura or Honda. You can beat the crap out of the gear box and it won't break. I race a cbr1000rr and I can redline around eagles canyon in second gear and still hit a time under qualification for expert. Honda is just a different machine

I had a WRX and it was a very fun car 0-60 and on turns, but it was also one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever owned. You will feel every bump. It requires premium because of the turbo and ecu being timed on higher ethanol gas. The clutch is also heavier than most which is something I prefer but gets old with traffic.

Keep in mind your kids will probably break a master cylinder or two and burn out the clutch. They will also probably get in a minor accident and insurance won't be cheap. You'll want something more economical to repair. However, these cars are not very structurally sound and expose your kids to injuries in the event of an accident. Having a sportier car can also influence bad behavior.

My daughter is 13 and she's getting a used bronco sport. When she's out of college and proven herself responsible I'll get her something nicer.
AgCPA95
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

barney94 said:

We have been very pleased with our '19 GLI.

Same here with our '17
Mr. Dubi
vansprinkle said:

Overall Integra is very nice, WRX has the power. Also looking at 36 mpg in the Acura vs. 26 in the Subaru… Acura doesn't require premium gas, Subaru does…
Good luck on the 26 mpg. I have only gotten that on road tripspure highway, no stops. In the real world I get about 18, regardless of how much boost I am pulling.

Unfortunately the '22+ models are fugly
cryption
You really should go drive a Jetta GLI just for comparison sake
erudite
Here's what I've dealt/ am dealing with on my parents VW. I do most of the work on it.

Be careful about oil changes, VW OEM interval isn't enough and causes excessive oil consumption ("normal" is 1 qt 1000 mi). I am still trying to figure out the cause of oil consumption on my parents 1.8T (Pulling turbo sometime soon). Usually caused by failure of the PCV diaphragm (AKA "Oil separator"), turbo (wastegate, turbine wheel or gasket) at ~100k miles, or if you're really unlucky oil blowby from the weak piston rings.

• PCV can be checked on new models by placing finger on a little port hole or pulling the oil cap and checking if the idle changes. Or you could just take it off and blow it (not like a hooker!) and see if it holds.
  • Turbo you need to check the wastegate if it rattles and has large amount of play (a pain) or the lines to see if you have oil flowing out, it should only have a little bit in the lines. Good luck if it's the turbine wheel.
  • Piston ring is a rebuild. Basically the gunk sticks and gets the piston ring recessed and stuck more and more. Here's a hint, the consumption issue countdown starts ticking again once rebuilt. My understanding is that if mechanics see camshaft bearing wear they don't bother and just junk the engine. Good luck and keep to 5k or less oil changes if you can with all synthetic, VW will void your warranty if you use the wrong brand.
  • You will eventually need to do what they call an intake carbon clean at some point. DIY it involves using walnut shells to clean the intake, make sure you adjust the cylinder to TDC so you aren't blasting walnut shells past the piston.
  • Have fun with that one bolt near the engine mount on the timing chains/belts. Pain in the rear to remove and service.
  • Get ready to pay out the nose for OEM parts.
  • Radiator hose flange likes to go bad during radiator drain due to terrible design. Go aftermarket with a proper o-ring instead of whatever drug induced design some VW engineer came up with.
  • Plastic oil pan can be replaced with aluminium (lighter, breaks easier) or steel (heavier, more sturdy). Take the steel if you must, bolts are different if you do.
  • You must replace the drain plug every time you change oil. Try to avoid stripping (new pan) plug/ scratching pan (slow leak) in the area since it is very easy to do so.
  • Oil filter must be tightened with a torque wrench. Too much and it leaks because the o-ring gets bent out of shape, too little doesn't seal properly.
  • Spark plug boots and ignition coil will stick and fail eventually....
  • Random plastic "hard" points holding lines/wires will break as wear. Good luck finding replacement parts.

I think newer models have issues with a rear main seal leak. Seen discussion on it but not happened to me.
vansprinkle
AG
Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger on a blue Civic Si today.

Edit to add that I fell in love when I took it for a spin. It doesn't have the power of the WRX, but it is put together so well that it won out. It's not as nice as the Integra, but it's $8k less and has everything I want (plus a bunch of extra safety).

I wanted to check out a Jetta but didn't see one in the area. I should have checked out a GTI, but I'll just have to live with my decision and hope I made the right one.

I'm a bit of a Honda fanboy, as I've owned at least 1 Honda (and at one point 3) for the past 24 years. From a tiny swapped 92 turbo hatch Civic, a 2000 Si, 2004 S2K, 92 Prelude (full cage road race car), and my Fit that I've had for the last 16 years.

I love it and the kids are super stoked to have their future car in the driveway.

Edit 2: Community Honda in Baytown worked with me on the deal. Just a few add-ons that I didn't mind (fought to get rid of the nitrogen charge) and no market adjustment when every other dealer I spoke to wanted $4k plus an additional $2k+ in add-ons. They also did pretty well on the trade for my 2007 Honda Fit. I may have been able to get an extra $500-1,000 by selling it locally, but trading it saved me a bunch of time and headache from dealing with people over a small profit. They also got me a very respectable interest rate at 5.89%, which is a bit lower than my Credit Union could do (and better than most that I've seen online).

Btw, big whoop whoop for my 856 credit score! I thought 850 was the highest you could get, apparently they go up to 900.
erudite
Op delivered on rule 1?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.