First Gen Expedition overhaul

4,814 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MTTANK
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm still on the 25 y/o factory windshield in my Expy.

If you drive into the sun, it's amazing how pitted it is but otherwise, all the chips and cracks are out of the field of vision.
MTTANK
AG
The interior was in pretty rough shape, here's a picture to give you an idea what it looked like before I got started.

MTTANK
AG
I did two passes on the carpet. One with the seats in, and the last time with the all the seats pulled. I used a drill brush, the bissell, and a steamer I bought for most of the work. Here's my weapons of choice:

MTTANK
AG
What I extracted the first run:

Here's what it looked like after cleaning

MTTANK
AG
The drivers floor mat was worn through, so ordered some replacements. This is the darkest color they offered, and showed up way lighter than it looked online. Will have to order some all weather mats for it.

A couple of pictures with the interior pulled for the second steam cleaning-

MTTANK
AG
Next I needed to address the front seats. The drivers seat electric motors were failing, and this was only a two year design. They also both needed new covers, and the passenger side needed new foam. When I researched the cost for some front Eddie Bauer replacement leathers and install, it would have been well over a thousand bucks. I decided to find a junkyard drivers seat, and put some cal trend covers on them.

Here's a picture of the junkyard drivers seat, it had a non functioning power base as well. So I grabbed a manual seat base off a bench seat and mounted the junkyard cloth seat to it. Here is a picture from when I test mounted it-

I just crudely taped the damaged leather on the passenger seat, to make it feel smooth and avoid wear on the cover.

I cut the back netting off both seats before installing the cover

Here's a picture of one of the Cal Trend covers installed-

MTTANK
AG
Now that the seats were covered, the worn center console stuck out like a sore thumb:

I ordered a new leather cover for it, but ended up finding one in the junkyard that I liked better. This one is vinyl and has more cushion and is a better match color wise. Huge improvement:

HollywoodBQ
AG
Just replaced the center console lid on my '99 Expy with one I bought from a junkyard in Kentucky off of eBay.
MTTANK
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Just replaced the center console lid on my '99 Expy with one I bought from a junkyard in Kentucky off of eBay.
They are pretty hard to find in good shape, as well as the drivers seats. Nobody makes replacement foam either, so takes an upholstery shop to rebuild it. I ended up finding a good Eddie Bauer console as well, but prefer this vinyl one.
MTTANK
AG
Drivers seatbelt was frayed pretty badly, so grabbed a good one from the junkyard. Here's the original one I replaced-

Here's the one from the junkyard. It was filthy-

After I cleaned it up-

Silvy
AG
I don't think anyone has ever put this much effort into a '97 Expedition

I'm here for it tho, bro
Burdizzo
AG
Surprised the junkyard sold you belts. I think a lot of them wont resell belts for liability reasons
MTTANK
AG
Silvy said:

I don't think anyone has ever put this much effort into a '97 Expedition

I'm here for it tho, bro
MTTANK
AG
Went to work on it one morning and it was making some electrical sounds under the dash, best way I can explain it. After a little research it is very common for this gen Expedition and F150 to leak at the top of the windshield, and it finds its way behind the Gem module and fuse box. Kept it undercover during the next rain, and got the soonest appointment at safelight to correct the issue. After the window was fixed the better half put a hairdryer to it for 30 minutes or so and it fixed it right up. Been a couple of months with no leaks or issues.

MTTANK
AG
Ordered some NOS cup holders for the console, paid more than I wish to disclose. Well worth it to not have to listen to my cup rattle. Also did a windshield wiper upgrade, with a bigger blade on one.

You can see the old OEM size wiper blade on top for comparison

Link to the blades: https://www.amazon.com/MOTIUM-QUALITY-All-Season-Windshield-Warranty/dp/B07K2NB44Q/ref=sr_1_3_pp?crid=BU5AIM5QNSU4&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.LFP5GOVtr6n_OQVevpIkLdfpC_w-ZmBNbp6SUq8j2dIOLtO0zvj6X37-NnIodTEFC4hAlLIMd6zGTNk9ILw6SL3BR-oqvPdugKegXINaGGYCmnN7-SoNP51ctRrKWW1Zcz66Db9vjjP6QoJNhBVPqlpIwE4lE0GjbjSYJuX64z4AAdjUYFr_adAoyVGrLqInL4ipHodXVUr3QdIyJIa-dfE80nKGhrDGA0cPhGo5oGg.XnmFE2LaoW-Ga4oGCPG2MOiU3vENWdVIpMW4zfVh2VQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=wiper&qid=1720487541&sprefix=wiper%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-3&th=1
MTTANK
AG
The majority of the lights did not work in the cluster, so pulled it and replaced them. Thought about using LED's, but decided on incandescents.

Burned out bulbs-

I pulled the check suspension light, since that has been deleted.

MTTANK
AG
Shortly after I reinstalled the cluster, I figured out the check engine bulb was still working. It was throwing a lean code, which did not surprise me considering the condition of some of the emissions hoses.

Replaced the guy on the left with one from the junkyard on the right, you can see how bad it was where it connects to the throttle body-

Also replaced this guy-

Did all the rest including PCV, but did not grab pictures of that stuff. Erased the code and it never came back.
MTTANK
AG
After that was fixed I decided it was good time to clean the engine bay and get it all put together. One part that I had trouble finding was the correct engine cover. 5.4's in 97 and 98 had a unique cover with red lettering. I found some on ebay for 80 or more, but no way I was spending that. Finally found one in the junkyard for 5 bucks!

Forgot to take a before picture, but here's one mid cleaning-

And the best after picture I have-

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.