Has there been anything on this forum about the Ineos Grenadier

8,193 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Sazerac
knoxtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw one at my kid's school yesterday and I REALLY liked it. The dealership here has one so I may go sit in it tomorrow. I heard it is a year and a half wait though

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/us/
Naveronski
AG
There's this thread, but it's only 1 page: https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3209544

I'd like to see one IRL. I was able to do a 3D feedback panel/review thing several years ago when it was still in the design phase and really appreciated the details that went into it. It really addressed a lot of the usual mods for overlanding/adventure traveling so I hope they end up doing well in the market.

... and it looks like they're causing (*one cause, anyway) Toyota to re-evaluate where the Landcruiser brand was headed.
knoxtom
They are shockingly cool in person.

I saw it from about 100 feet and said, whoa, that is one clean old school defender. Then it got closer and I said, Whoa... this must be some new defender package. Then I was right next to it and I said... Whoa, that is so f'ing bad a$$.

Then I went home and looked up what it was. BMW inline six - yes. Locking diffs all around - yes. Wade mode and completely hard core off road - yes. Great manners on road - yes.

They are completely cool
maroon barchetta
Ineos?

Like the chemical plant on 2004 between Richwood and Dickinson?
Naveronski
AG
Yes.

IIRC: British billionaire wanted a better/newer Defender but couldn't buy what he wanted, so he made it.
maroon barchetta
That is one way to do it!
knoxtom
maroon barchetta said:

Ineos?

It is just so weird...

He is the richest person in Great Britain. They put a couple billion into making this car and supposedly have test driven the prototypes 1.8 million miles. The car is quite heavy because they overbuilt everything.

Unlike all of these "off road" vehicles out there, this one can actually go nasty places.
HumbleAg04
AG
Have a truck version "Quartermaster" coming late this year.

Want.
Complete Idiot
I did a build, came out to $81,500 - Rivian territory.

If needing long times in back country, expedition trips, I'd get the BMW inline 6. Maybe this is more durable and off road capable as well, while Rivian maybe more plush and better on road.
mm98
AG
This is wild

Ineos on Battlwground used to be my customer. Had no idea they even produced this.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
With your bleeding up and down this board over 4Runners being underpowered (I don't disagree with that btw) I don't think you'll be happy with a nearly 6000 lb vehicle that puts out 280 hp.
SteveA
AG
Quote:

Then I went home and looked up what it was. BMW inline six - yes. Locking diffs all around - yes. Wade mode and completely hard core off road - yes. Great manners on road - yes.
You have to pay for the front and rear lockers. They aren't standard. I don't know how much I believe the "great on road manners" part either. It's definately a status symbol though, since after spending $80k for cloth seats, you still gotta drop cash for 15mpg
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
A lot of people are also excited for the B58 BMW straight 6 turbo in it, and it could wind up to be a great pairing as I know that engine is highly regarded, but it's also not been used yet in vehicle that is intended to be used in low range as much as this one. Will have to wait and see if it can take the abuse.
knoxtom
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

With your bleeding up and down this board over 4Runners being underpowered (I don't disagree with that btw) I don't think you'll be happy with a nearly 6000 lb vehicle that puts out 280 hp.

While I agree this will not be a fast car by any means, not all 285 hp are the same. BMW online 6 engines get great torque and hp down low, while a 4ruuner engine gets none. This is also a turbo, which means it isn't crushed by altitude. It also has an 8bspeed so it isn't screaming at 4500 rpms just to climb a driveway.

I have no doubt an ineos is slow but it tows 7700 pounds so it can't have as bad a power train as a crappy 4runner.

All that being said, I wouldn't buy one without driving one. I might just be too slow
Strongwind86
AG
Guy I work with ordered one from Mossy Grenadier off the Katy freeway a while back. Got his build notice around Christmas. Expecting delivery middle/end of February. Will be interested to see it…

https://mossyineosgrenadiertx.com/

'03ag
Saw one on the wild the other day. Made the mistake of pointing it out to the wife so she could take pics. Now she wants one

Canyon99
AG
Know a guy in my small town that has one as I saw it for the first time yesterday. That keeps me from ever wanting one for myself.
aftershock
Saw one at HEB in Katy the other day. Didn't immediately recognize what it was, had to do a little research. Pretty sharp vehicle.

knoxtom
I went and sat in one yesterday. They had one for sale due to buyer back out, one demo, and 43 sold and to be delivered.

They aren't really like anything else out there. Good room inside, gotta climb a little to get in. Front seats are really comfy recaros, rear seat leaves a lot to be desired. Would be tough to sit in them for a long drive.

The vehicle is pretty burly, tires are bigger than they look in pics, lots of cool unique features like the z track everywhere. Drivers cockpit is a lot like a plane. Very little digital stuff, switches everywhere. They even prewire the roof and add toggle switches to those electric points. Aux battery already installed.

They are kinda a mashup of a jeep, a G wagon, and an old school defender.

I really liked it a lot, but I doubt I will get one as I would hate driving that slow. On the other hand as I get older my wife says I drive like an old man anyway. They do qualify for the sec 179. Really the stopper for me is that I already have the adventure van and the land rover. This seems to be more of what I already have.
HumpitPuryear
AG
knoxtom said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ineos?

It is just so weird...

He is the richest person in Great Britain. They put a couple billion into making this car and supposedly have test driven the prototypes 1.8 million miles. The car is quite heavy because they overbuilt everything.

Unlike all of these "off road" vehicles out there, this one can actually go nasty places.
Like the kid dropoff lane at the elementary school and Starbucks drive-thru?
'03ag
If you don't know this guy's channel he's a big Jeep guy and spends a ton of time off-road and Overlanding.

Interesting thoughts. Lack of sway bar disconnect option is surprising. As is the lack of 4:1 low range, but ~ 2.5:1 seems to do fine in my LX. I probably haven't pushed it hard enough for it to matter yet.

'03ag
Not mine but got to walk around it. Steelies are the way to go

Sazerac
AG
Looks pretty awesome.

Don't know if I could pay that much for something with unknown reliability and ? On aftermarket repairs though.
Old Sarge
AG
Front end looks like an Edsel-ized SUV.
"Green" is the new RED.
BBRex
AG
They got sued by Land Rover over the exterior design, so I think they were looking to move a little bit away from the old Defender on the front end. To me it looks like the old Defender and a G Wagon had a ******* child.
Furlock Bones
AG
I've seen a handful around Houston.
Matsui
AG
saw a beige one in ft worth the other day - looked super cool
YouBet
AG
Noticed yesterday that my neighbor has the beige one. Hanging out with them today so will try and check it out.
SnowboardAg
AG
Neighbor got one. Haven't spoke to him about it yet. Probably being picky, but the slope on the hood looks funny to me.
Pinochet
So clearly challenging to park between the lines.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
'03ag said:

Not mine but got to walk around it. Steelies are the way to go

Parked next to one like this on a ferry boat today. Looks great. The rims look bad though. They look like they are running on 4 spares.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
What would the reasons be to get this over the new GX550? Only potential advantages of the Ineos i can think of are looks (subjective), solid front axle (worse on-road performance), and a true locking front differential vs the GX's A-Trac (not sure I'd say there's a significant advantage gained there).

The Ineos Trailmaster starts at $10k more than the GX Overtrail too.
'03ag
Well solid axles and triple lockers are pretty important to some people
FTAco07
AG
As someone who is buying a GX 550, the Ineos is way cooler, more unique, more capable off road, and completely customizable. That said, the Ineos isn't near practical enough for me to DD. The steering alone with a recirculating ball and no self centering is an absolute deal breaker for me as a daily driver.

That said, a good friend of mine is getting one so I'll be able to do a direct comparison between it and the new GX.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I get that, but that can't be a large market that needs those. The GX has pretty impressive articulation for IFS and has a solid rear axle. The Overtrail model also comes with center and rear locker, and A-trac is effective enough to make up for not having a front locker in most situations.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.