Truck Bed Cover

3,770 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LMC2015
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it's been done before but search gave me a lot of results for "bed" and "cover" but not both.

Truck I purchased recently came with a Peragon, which I thought was great a first, until I tried to load up the bed and pull back the cover.

https://www.peragon.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr__U17e6hAMVMEB_AB2qoQRvEAAYASAAEgIf9PD_BwE

The accordion design folds into the bed, so when you load stuff and go to pull cover closed, it won't close b/c the stuff in the bed gets in the way of the accordion expanding. It was fun crawling into the bed to load the cooler, bags, suitcases, etc. in 6F weather in Colorado last Sunday morning, and then rachet it all down so it did not move around. Thank you to the guy who thought of internal bed lights!

So I need something else that will allow me to put stuff in the back and still close the cover.
Silvy
AG
Bakflip Revolver or something similar would probably work well for you in that scenario. I don't cover weather sensitive stuff in my bed often enough to justify the cost, so I have a cheap vinyl roll up cover.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I have used the tri-fold style.

I liked the bakflip mx4, but I went with a lomax on the latest as it looks better. It is thinner and doesn't have a bezel trim. Only negative on the lomax is that it doesn't fold against the window. You either remove it or leave 1/3 of the bed covered. I never drove with the bakflip against the window, but it was nice for loading.
agracer
AG
GrimesCoAg95 said:

I have used the tri-fold style.

I liked the bakflip mx4, but I went with a lomax on the latest as it looks better. It is thinner and doesn't have a bezel trim. Only negative on the lomax is that it doesn't fold against the window. You either remove it or leave 1/3 of the bed covered. I never drove with the bakflip against the window, but it was nice for loading.
https://realtruck.com/p/truxedo-truxport-tonneau-cover/v/ram/truck-1500/2023/

I saw this one. I'm not going to be hauling a lot of critical items that can't get wet. If it's luggage, can just wrap anything I'm worried about in a plastic bag to protect it from water if necessary.

Anyone have a softer style (like that Truxport or the Gator model) have any opinion either way?
AgGrad99
AG
I wanted something that didnt take up a lot of space when not in use. I also didnt want a fold-up one, that is stacked up behind my window. And I didnt want a soft cover, because those are too easy to cut/rip/damage.

I ended up going with this one, and love it. It was fairly easy to install, and it works great. I've been through some hard rain, and even drove through the car wash a couple times...and it doesn't leak.

https://www.amazon.com/Syneticusa-Aluminum-Retractable-2019-2020-Silverado/dp/B07W58L66R/ref=sr_1_5?crid=FTI7HTZTM7GS&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.KfDPrl_ISL2jkjVcFpHHfauMAC3l7C8sKeLWlCoYqXRB67T3H7K4VOu3ZTNYvbv0_3DqZxk2icjOHBgtnAp6bZcF2WQ1Cxhd7tJIR1Os1m17BGP4uKC2B7OxhdYMwqZ6npcr_Yt8T04RpoBrWStO498mfkIlm2kxnUoEgaFWyNogVh7XDDbiRLOsISri6syUvQswklBLA0wmahxZqlZlA-xgkdLPQ25jqTsgYZB9a4ucaWLU5QIBewbi3BOdBtEF-ix6TtmhBaHZlLLQnAh_fBtkS8s36NnYezevpPn0nVE.P2C_8y6oCZCP5_K9OwhYcg8VXPcMHSr1QY2PruehZ48&dib_tag=se&keywords=truck+bed+cover+retractable&qid=1708460824&sprefix=truck+bed+cover+retracable%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-5

The only downside is that you have the case against the cab, so you lose a little room in your bed.
Silvy
AG
I have the Gator SRX on my truck. Biggest negative I have with it is holding (puddling) of rainwater on the cover until driving away. I've only had it a couple of months, so no long term analysis.
RED AG 98
AG
Lomax Trifold. Love it! Nice seal and very easy (20 seconds) to remove and put in the back seat if you want the full bed space.
maverick12
AG
The Lomax Stance will fold all the way against the cab. I only fold it against the cab for loading so I didn't install the bracket on the top of the cab holding it in place for driving. Regardless of what you decide, Luke at Truck Alterations is the guy for bed covers.
RED AG 98
AG
maverick12 said:

The Lomax Stance will fold all the way against the cab. I only fold it against the cab for loading so I didn't install the bracket on the top of the cab holding it in place for driving. Regardless of what you decide, Luke at Truck Alterations is the guy for bed covers.
Second this. Who I used as well.

Lucas Kyle <sales@truckalterations.com>
aggie_wes
AG

what kind of truck? I may be interested in your peragon
bam02
AG
I had a bakflip trifold that I finally threw away after many years. My truck is pretty old now so I decided to replace it with a cheap vinyl cover off of Amazon. I think the brand is Tyger. It actually works pretty well, and is more waterproof than the trifold ever was
12th Man Ag
AG
I love my Diamondback Switchback.
AggieMPH2005
I have had the Truxedo vinyl roll up since 2015 and been very happy with it. The major drawback is it is easy for someone to get into but I have never had a problem.
Enviroag02
AG
Go with the Truxedo Sentry CT. It's a hard canvas covered rollup. So when it's opened it's rolled up against the back window but you can still see through the window. It also looks like much higher quality than vinyl rollups.
agracer
AG
aggie_wes said:

what kind of truck? I may be interested in your peragon
23 ram 1500 with 5'7" bed
agracer
AG
Why do some covers not work with the multi-function tailgate? Does it have to do with how it swings open when the cover is installed?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I think the whole bed cover comes down to 3 options today from least to most expensive:

1. Soft covers - These are the less secure and the Texas sun is tough. They are 1/3 the cost of tri-fold and probably have less life.

2. Tri-fold - For me, this is the sweet spot of functionality and cost. You can use the whole bed and they look good. The price is reasonable, and you can 'secure' things in the bed.

3. Roll-up - My issue with these is that you lose some part of the bed with these even when closed. This is just a no-go for me. As OP experienced with the accordion style, they can also be hard to load.

There is my view, and I think the tri-fold work the best. Then you get into brands which is whole other discussion.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I looked at the stance and the regular lomax. My logic was that I don't drive with it up, so why spend the extra money. I didn't really think of loading at the time.
RED AG 98
AG
Same exact thing for me. In addition, the Tri-fold can be easily removed by 1 person in 20 seconds without any tools. The Stance isn't hard to remove per se, but it's definitely more involved.
bam02
AG
I like trifolds, but so far in my experience the soft covers are just as durable in the texas heat/sun as it affects the seals and adhesives in the trifolds. I also think the trifolds appear more secure but they are actually no more secure than a soft vinyl cover. I am pretty sure I could break into one easily with my bare hands and definitely with a screwdriver. The soft ones can be cut easily but they are both just a deterrent.

I like the diamondbacks a lot but the trade off for their strength and security is weight and inability to remove as needed.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I have no doubt that you can break into a tri-fold. That said with a locking tailgate, it does give you more security than something attached with velcro.
bam02
AG
On mine you could not get in the through the Velcro side. You could certainly slice it open and be in in seconds, but the Velcro would be extremely difficult to get enough access to make it worth it.
HalifaxAg
AG
I just installed the Roll N Lock... Really like it so far.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Sounds like you found one that works for your needs.
trailrunner
AG
If you just want a cover that folds and/or removes easily I would get the Lomax. It comes off quickly if you need the whole bed.

I have a diamondback SE I purchased off their outlet site. Purchased because it's very secure and durable and I have all my camping gear back there which I don't want messed with. If you need to use the full bed with taller or bulkier items alot it's probably not for you. 10-15 min to take off and on each way.
big ben
AG
$20 tarp and some bungees
aftershock
I've had a Truxedo Sentrey on mine for a year and a half. Sits and rolls up on top. It has metal plates covered in a fabric. It's held up great and feels very secure. I'm sure someone could get in if they wanted, but it'll at least slow them down.
The Kraken
AG
After going though several trifolds, I got a low profile Tuxedo Pro X15 canvas roll up after getting my current truck. It's less expensive, simpler, more durable and less likely to give you issues. Only downside is that it's not as secure.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
RustyBV
AG
Bought a Rough Country tri-fold cover, saved a few hundred bucks but definitely not water tight like my previous Lomax tri-fold was.
chumpy
AG
I've put Bakflip Revolvers on my last two trucks. Love that it allows full access when rolled up and it's reinforced with aluminum slats that lock in place along the rails when closed.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Lomax Trifold. Love it! Nice seal and very easy (20 seconds) to remove and put in the back seat if you want the full bed space.

X2
Jock 07
AG
Another happy regular Lomax owner here. Also bought via Luke. Also got my rhino mats for wife's expedition from him as well, lower than the rhino website.
agracer
AG
Just to follow up, I ended up with a Truxedo Roll Up cover.

https://realtruck.com/p/truxedo-truxport-tonneau-cover/

I ordered it 2/26 and it was supposed to deliver 2/27 (which I thought, no way). And it did not come 2/27, or 28 29 and suddenly in the FedEx system it just stopped after it got to the distribution facility in KC.

I contacted RealTruck and they tracked it, then said I had to wait 3 days for a FedEx response. FedEx said it was lost. RealTruck asked if I wanted a refund or ship another so I asked them to ship another on 3/8. Arrived Saturday 3/9.

I took off the old Paragon and put on the new one in maybe 30-minutes. Could not believe how easy it was. So far it's just what I was after.

Anyone in KC want a Paragon cover for a Ram 1500?
LMC2015
AG
Is this guy an Aggie, or what is the connection? Sales tax situation being based out of NC could definitely be beneficial. Looking to get one for my new truck, and it seems like the Lomax Tri-fold is the popular pick.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.