'16 Powerstroke Coolant burping

1,225 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Centerpole90
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know a trick to getting the cooling system burped? If there is a priming valve, I haven't found it.

I had the cooling system open on my truck last fall. After that it took a good while before the engine temp would read reliably. It would show much cooler than the truck was for a long time. I knew it wasn't the sensor because even when it was marking incorrectly it still would occasionally bump up or act right, then go back to C when idling (even though I knew it was much warmer). That was in the late summer or fall.

FF to this week I had some work done on the truck and the cooling system was open again. When I got it back the temp gauge acted identical to the last time it was open. It will show way cool, occasionally warm or 'correct' then back to cool; classic air in system. Only this time it is 100*+ days of summer and OH, BY THE WAY, my air conditioning sucks now. Well, it took a couple hours before it dawned on my that my A/C isn't performing because the fan clutch isn't being commanded correctly due to incorrect temp reading. This has cost me a compressor clutch - which I suspect was weak anyway so I'm not heartbroken over it. I am sure it was putting up insane head pressure all day yesterday.

However, before I set out to repair the air conditioner I really want to get the cooling system straightened out since I believe it to be the root cause. If anyone knows a good way to burp the primary cooling system on a 6.7 I'd give it a try.

TIA.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I was trying to diagnose a cooling issue on my Firebird and someone on the Firebird forum mentioned putting it up on ramps and running the motor so that all the air wants to travel up. Might be worth a shot?
dsvogel05
AG
I was thinking something similar. Use a floor jack to raise the side where the expansion tank is located and crack the cap. I would probably do it when the truck is cold in the morning and let it idle until it came up to temp, top off with antifreeze, tighten the cap and go for a drive to see what happens.
TexAg1987
Did you try this?

EskimoJoe
Fill it by sucking it through the system.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-saving-Well-sealed-Pressure-Adapters-Vehicles/dp/B0CP24TVNF/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.He89JpzHPKubcXTZtjMIGXP-Yb9sJjdsEhGYBbAstYK-9-T-p1vcuTKzcncHu1LEwMQLGaCpAQ3z8kuLdafMoCXjsq4IecPDrNp9_PeJtd-qiQIJ49Xfc6xRgEzwSqANyCVOwaeLgj84-s6Y_BUkDlhERVwJOlZFBGeF_8yGS_T88ZZ_FPVYGCXdjJIfJbEHjtwCU5EnnQ4vz2YwBMEhCg.JHd3YZHdh8Q5ooztCs9NKlt9ZkE8q-G9CQ1Uwex2Emw&dib_tag=se&keywords=coolant+vacuum+refill+kit&qid=1718377358&sr=8-3
Fannie Luddite
AG
EskimoJoe said:

Fill it by sucking it through the system.
I used a similar device and it works. Requires an air compressor that can provide sufficient suckage.
JuneBug07
AG
Coolant systems are vented and should not need any special procedure to get air out. It sounds to me that you have a faulty thermostat or temp sensor.
BrazosDog02
AG
JuneBug07 said:

Coolant systems are vented and should not need any special procedure to get air out. It sounds to me that you have a faulty thermostat or temp sensor.

I agree with this. I've drained and refilled dozens of radiators and never needed a special "burping" procedures. At most I'll leave the radiator cap off while it gets to temp and you can see the air expel but it only does that for a minute or so and that's it. I'd look elsewhere for the problems.
sts7049
AG
quick Google search shows that powerstrokes can be a bit finicky getting them purged of air
Centerpole90
AG
Thank you all for the replies. I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. About the time I posted this we started tracking the possibility of tropical system (potentially) Alberto bringing south Texas good bit of forecast rain for next week. In light of that, it's been head down/@ss up on harvest trying to get everything in while we can. So I have jumped in another truck and decided to work on mine during next week's wet spell.

Since I will have the time to do it then, I'm going to replace the thermostats. With all due respect to the posters who would disagree, in my experience some cooling systems just don't purge themselves as well as others. I agree that shouldn't be the case with one as engineered as this one - but like sts pointed out, I'm not the only one who has observed this. ETA here- I can certainly see where thermostats can make this an issue. Hence my decision to go ahead and pop in some new ones.

I'll follow up in a few days. BTHO FLORIDA!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.