windshield - 4 chips - repair or replace?

1,482 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Whitehorse
JasonD2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have 2 chips about quarter size and 2 nickel size or less. I can have them repaired for free or replace the WS for $500. Safelight sales they can be repaired and didn't bat an eye. Local gal says over 3 chips needs to be replaced b/c the repair process weakens the WS too much.

Can't both be right so who's wrong?
JasonD2005
AG
And they all happened within a week of each other.

So IB4 "move out of DFW."
ac04
i choose free
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Can't both be right so who's wrong?
Local gal.
USAFAg
AG
Chips

FWIW

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
BrazosDog02
AG
Free chip repair is the way I go. I've had exactly two windshields in my truck with 400,000 miles, probably at least 15+ chips repaired in each. The last one I caught too late and it cracked across the passenger side windshield. Guess I'll have to replace it now but honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. I always prefer chip repair over replacement if I can.
AgGrad99
AG
Take the free option.
idAg09
Is it really free though? Don't they get ya for a claim nowadays?
Jack Boyett
AG
"You're going to need a new windshield." said the windshield salesman.
USAFAg
AG
Jack Boyett said:

"You're going to need a new windshield." said the windshield salesman.
This is kinda my thought as well.

Do a little research on Google at least. So many different opinions, but the ones by windshield shops all seem to align to the "3 chip mantra"...soooooo....think about that.

It probably matters more where the chips are, how deep they are, and whether or not they have run into big cracks than the number of chips.

Just IMO....

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
aggiepaintrain
AG
those "free" repairs could count as a collision claim

I'd ask for the cash price
aTm2004
AG
You can get a chip repair kit at Walmart, Amazon, or auto parts store for like $10 and repair it yourself. It's pretty easy after you do it the first time.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
If you'd rather not mess with your insurance company, just DIY.

I bought one of these about a month ago and fixed two chips in about 30 minutes. I have to look to see them now.

The kit has a 'spider' with four suction cups, a plunger, some UV-curing fluid and some smoothing tape.

Rain-X Windshield Repair Kit

For $13 it's hard to go wrong.
Cromagnum
AG
My insurance doesn't do the free chip repairs anymore. It's a $50 deductible to do a chip repair or $50 to just replace the entire thing.
Tailgate88
AG
Before you replace the windshield ask your insurance if that claim could affect your premium. Didn't used to, but on another thread complaining about insurance rates going up some people were claiming it had for them.
Whitehorse
AG
From my experience only, chip repair is crap. The chip s still visible. I ended up replacing the ws after the chip repair.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.