The mighty Tacoma has fallen

12,469 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GAC06
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Earth Rider said:

highpriorityag said:

LHM the 2024 just came out!!!
They have been fully stocked the 2nd quarter. Shouldn't be a drop off with a new vehicle release at this point. Go to a dealership and you will see a continuous stream of 2024 Tacomas to pick from. People don't want to pay over 50k for a 4 cylinder made in Mexico.

OP, I do drive a Taco but honestly love F150 and Sierra. Hell, I love most trucks. But this is a weird thread and to a purpose I'm not understanding.

You went pretty strong at Tacoma trying to make the point that Frontier or something was going to usurp them, but neglected the model change.

You followed it up by data that shows Tacoma crushing the midsize truck market AND still being way down, but claiming they are fully stocked? Somehow I don't think you know if Toyota is really running at full capacity with their slew of stop sales (Grand Highlander, Prius).

Help me out. I'm just trying to understand. It's like you pointed your baseball bat at the fence and realized you are on a hockey rink.

Earth Rider
AG
JP76 said:

Earth Rider said:

Redstone said:

Friend of mine just paid 70K for a high end Tundra
I know that is the going rate, but that seems crazy high for a half ton truck. I hope he was able to pay cash for it.

If you think that is crazy check out the at4 and denali's that are north of 80k.
Well, would you rather have a truck or put down 20 percent on a 400k house that will go up in value instead of lose 10k a year on depreciation and you can rent out and leave to your grandkids or kids.
Earth Rider
AG
evan_aggie said:

Earth Rider said:

highpriorityag said:

LHM the 2024 just came out!!!
They have been fully stocked the 2nd quarter. Shouldn't be a drop off with a new vehicle release at this point. Go to a dealership and you will see a continuous stream of 2024 Tacomas to pick from. People don't want to pay over 50k for a 4 cylinder made in Mexico.

OP, I do drive a Taco but honestly love F150 and Sierra. Hell, I love most trucks. But this is a weird thread and to a purpose I'm not understanding.

You went pretty strong at Tacoma trying to make the point that Frontier or something was going to usurp them, but neglected the model change.

You followed it up by data that shows Tacoma crushing the midsize truck market AND still being way down, but claiming they are fully stocked? Somehow I don't think you know if Toyota is really running at full capacity with their slew of stop sales (Grand Highlander, Prius).

Help me out. I'm just trying to understand. It's like you pointed your baseball bat at the fence and realized you are on a hockey rink.

Same here. I have a Taco and an F150. I've owned several F150's with my company. I owned one Chevy and it was a great truck until about 150k miles. The F150s I see them getting 300k miles with very little problems, same with the older model Tundras and the older Tacomas.

I never neglected the model change. One of my points was people didn't want to buy them because of the model change. They forced everyone to buy a 4 cylinder which is showing to be unreliable, the quality has gone down and made in Mexico, their back seat is smaller, and they raised their priced 8 to 10k.

No question, their sales are down, just look at quarter 2 2024 versus quarter 2 2023. They are down 24.32%. And by Quarter 2, they are stocked up if not just about stocked up. My parents and I went to the 3rd largest toyota dealership in the country in the Fall of 23, Cavernder in SA, and bought a 23 Tacoma 4x4. It was the only one they had, and there was only one or 2 others in all of SA. Right now, you can find the Tacoma 4x4 all over the place.

Toyota isn't crushing the market. When you combine Canyon and Colorado, which are up 69% and 35%, they are right there and Toyota used to be triple their sales. The Tacoma is still the midsize leader, but the other trucks have gained a lot of ground on them.
tlfw378
AG
I'm really interested in the Kia Tasman truck. I'd like to see it released in the US…but not in 2025.

htxag09
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Cheapest Silverado is a WT "Work Truck" which is a double cab, not a crew cab. $32,260

Cheapest crew cab Silverado $46,115

Cheapest Canyon crew cab $37,935

I feel like that's msrp which is half the story. Dealers are way more likely to come down on Silverados. And they generally have more incentives.

Just looked at a local Houston dealer. Excluding work trucks, cheapest Colorado is $34k. Cheapest 1500 is $35k. These are "buy now" prices. Colorado has. $1k rebate and silverados $11-15k in instant rebates.
Earth Rider
AG
tlfw378 said:

I'm really interested in the Kia Tasman truck. I'd like to see it released in the US…but not in 2025.

I had never heard of it but just googled it and its a nice looking truck.
evan_aggie
AG
OP, I found your spirit animal.

https://www.hotcars.com/dethrone-toyota-tacoma-favorite/

Earth Rider
AG
evan_aggie said:

There are several similar articles and YouTube videos about different midsize trucks rising in sales and Toyota dropping year over year each month, it's not limited to the Maverick, although the Maverick definitely has a lot of appeal to some buyers., Toyota is losing market share to almost all of them.
tk for tu juan
Cast aluminum part at front shock stem mount fails, but Icon already has a part to sell for it (how convenient)

GAC06
AG
Earth Rider said:

evan_aggie said:

There are several similar articles and YouTube videos about different midsize trucks rising in sales and Toyota dropping year over year each month, it's not limited to the Maverick, although the Maverick definitely has a lot of appeal to some buyers., Toyota is losing market share to almost all of them.

Seems like Toyota has pretty much ceded the small work truck market. For something like a fleet of pool company vehicles, tacomas used to be pretty common.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.