Had brake job, now master cylinder leaking?

1,356 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by easttexasaggie04
jsc8116
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2012 Odyssey, 60k miles, had all 4 rotors and pads replaced at local independent shop. Drove home parked in garage, next day pulled out into drive way to do annual deep clean and noticed fresh spot in garage of a fluid leak. Popped hood and eventually saw what seems to be a leak from back of master cylinder.

Question is would something done improperly on brake job cause the leakingbof Master cylinder? I mean, wasn't leaking before in this spot under vehicle otherwise would have noticed on garage floor. The fluid reservoir is almost full as I just had the fluid changed out at dealer earlier this year. I am sure the shop will just say it is a coincidence when I call the shop tomorrow, what say you texags experts?
Picard
AG
My guess would be semi-related but not the fault of the shop you used. We had a 2011 Odyssey that had its master cylinder replaced for the same leak failure somewhere between 60k and 70k. Happened on its own though, not related to brake work.

sts7049
AG
perhaps they overfilled it and spilled some out when squeezing the pistons back into the calipers?
AG
bet they used a pressure bleeder that screws on top of the reservoir and it blew out the reservoir to master cylinder seal
BrazosDog02
AG
See if it keeps leaking. Whenever I open brake parts, do oil changes, pinion seals, whatever, there is ALWAYS a residual drip down form whatever I did.

See if it's leaking in a few days.
jsc8116
AG
If that's what happened, anynway to prove it?
Roger350
AG
jsc8116 said:

If that's what happened, anynway to prove it?

Nope.

But I wonder if a shop would even normally bleed the brakes with a pad and rotor swap. Unless you also paid to have a brake fluid flush I would think they would simply open the Master Cylinder reservoir and extract fluid if pushing the caliper pistons back in was going to displace too much fluid. No need to bleed in this case.

I don't let other people touch my brakes, so I don't know what is standard. But I certainly think there would be line item charge for a fluid flush / bleed if they did one.

But I suppose if you told them the pedal felt soft when you took it in they would certainly bleed the system to try and remedy that complaint, but again I would assume you would see a line item charge for that on the bill.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Quote:

I don't let other people touch my brakes, so I don't know what is standard.

Dude, you're risking your life doing brakes yourself. Haven't you heard?
Roger350
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Quote:

I don't let other people touch my brakes, so I don't know what is standard.

Dude, you're risking your life doing brakes yourself. Haven't you heard?

I'm an adrenaline junkie so I like living on the edge.
SCHTICK00
AG
Most likely it's from an overfull reservoir. If the MS was topped off prior to the brake job with worn pads, all the fluid from extended pistons had to go somewhere. I've had this happen before
agracer
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

Most likely it's from an overfull reservoir. If the MS was topped off prior to the brake job with worn pads, all the fluid from extended pistons had to go somewhere. I've had this happen before
they should have removed the cap before pushing the pistons back in.
easttexasaggie04
AG
man every time I see this thread title on the screen I think it's saying "hand job". I need to get my mind out the gutter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.