Duplicate car key on FOB question

936 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by bigtruckguy3500
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I replaced a key FOB with broken buttons with one I got on Amazon. Just switched the internal circuit board. However, the flip out key doesn't quite fit like it should.

It looks like I can punch out a roll pin in the key, and switch out the main part with the blank. Or I can take the blank that came with the new FOB and get it cut somewhere. I've heard or some people also modifying the part that articulates with the new FOB by filing out some metal - that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Pictured is what I can do. But apparently some people have trouble getting the roll pin to align again, but they say it holds in well.

If I get a blank like this cut, can Autozone or similar place do it? Or do these kinds of keys need the dealer?

Tim Weaver
Those kind of keys need to be cut by a locksmith. And not every locksmith can do it. Takes a special tool.

I would do whatever it takes to put the original key in the new flipper.
redaszag99
I've done a few of these on ford keys that are almost identical.

It looks like the key is not seating all the way into the flipper.

Crack the fob open and take the flipper out.

Get the best fit that you can and you may have to drill the key to get a pin in there.
redaszag99
Also, make sure you don't need to flip the key over
bigtruckguy3500
redaszag99 said:

I've done a few of these on ford keys that are almost identical.

It looks like the key is not seating all the way into the flipper.

Crack the fob open and take the flipper out.

Get the best fit that you can and you may have to drill the key to get a pin in there.
That's not an actual picture of my key FOB. I'm able to get my metal key into the FOB, however the cuts in the key, the plastic housing, and the flipper button do not align to work correctly. I can get it to fit but it won't flip open as it won't seat all the way.

I've tried using the button that came with the fob as well as the one that came with the original, if the button fits, then the plastic won't. If the plastic fits, the button won't work. Seems it's common for some reason.

There's a lock smith down the road I might see what they can do.
bigtruckguy3500
Local lock smith said he can do it for $55. Or I could just play with the roll pin if I find someone with a punch set and see.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.