Titan - Pro4x or Platinum Reserve

3,381 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by nealan
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would love to hear from the Titan owners on the board. Currently run a 2015 Tundra SR5 with that Gulf States TSS sticker and tire dress up kit. It's got 230k miles so a little long in the tooth and has that puny 23 gallon gas tank. Starting to think replacement time.

Was thinking dropping down to a Tacoma but pricing is steep. Almost got a Ridgeline a couple years back till I drove one and Lord was it slooooow.

Been encouraged by the comments from some of the Titan owners here, and love the thought of getting into another bulletproof V8 (although is it really as reliable as the Toyota 5.7?) that should last a while.

Don't have much experience with Nissan other than my mom had an Altima that was bleh. Seems Nissan is known for cheap interior but that Platinum Reserve does look nice.

Anything to know or consider? Thanks!
bam02
AG
I have zero first hand ownership experience but I spent a stupid amount of time researching the Titans (I ultimately went literally 180* but would have 100% gone Titan if decided to get another truck). I checked out a few used P4X and a couple of PR's.

I personally really loved the idea of getting an XD so I could get a 6'6" bed. I just think it looks so much better. I was leaning towards the Platinum. The P4X looks awesome but they're hard to find in XD. A lot more Platinum in XD. I wanted 4wd but don't care about all the performance off road stuff on the P4X. I think the Best Buy is the Platinum. A lot of really nice interior touches for the $ and I think they look nice in spite of all the chrome.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
FIL has a XD Platinum. He had a ton of non-drive train early on issues. A/C, A/C Blower, Infotainment, DEF sensors, multiple sensor problems, Coolant, maybe more but luckily it was all under warranty. After all the warranty issues were fixed from a crappy factory build....the truck has been great. He has over 200K miles on it now with routine maintenance. 70% highway.

So, if you can find one built with quality from the factory, your probably getting a good truck. Just expect and hope to get your warranty work in before the warranty runs out, and have the vehicle be at the dealership for a few weeks getting warranty work during that time period.
HouseDivided06
AG
I had a 2012 F150 with 170K miles on it and had been looking at the standard Sierras, F150s, Silverados, Tundras, Yukons, etc. Read on here last summer don't sleep on the Titan so I looked into it. Best bang for your buck full size out there. I got a 2021 Platinum Reserve for $10K less than anything else I was looking at with less miles (27,000) and loved it. Then it kept me and my kids safe in a wreck back in April, so I got a 2023 Platinum Reserve with 5,200 miles on it this time. I love it. The interior is fantastic, super comfortable to drive, and very user friendly. I didn't even consider the Pro4X or XD, but that was mainly because the longer bed wouldn't fit in my garage. Even then, I'd have considered the Platinum Reserve XD before the Pro4X simply because of the interior. Bummed they aren't going to be making them any more after 2024 because I really love mine.
L
OregonAggie
AG
I have a 2010 Titan Pro 4x with about 180000 on it and this thing runs excellent. I haven't had it long but the previous owner had all the maintenance records and he literally just maintained it. I towed a huge wakeboard boat with it no problem. In fact, I had dropped down from a 06 F250 Powerstroke that got stolen so I was fairly critical.

This vehicle has no leaks of any kind and the engine runs really strong. I would assume the newer ones would as well.
aggie_wes
AG
I had a 2019 pro-4x and I really liked it. It's a solid truck, no fancy bull***** Platinum is nicer interior, but I liked the more sporty pro-4x.

Buck Turgidson
I have a '23 Pro4x. I wanted a sporty trim with some offroad ability because I still have my Navigator for a luxury vehicle/daily driver (which is immaculate and will never be driven offroad). I've enjoyed the Pro4X so far, and especially like the Fender speakers that come with that trim package. I love the interior appearance with the red stitching. Ultimately, you just have to make a subjective decision whether you want sporty/offroad vs. the dressier interior of the Platinum Reserve.

Even though the Pro4X is not a luxury trim, it still has way more tech features than my older Navigator. Also, I do find it intuitive and easy to use.
SlickHairandlotsofmoney
I bought a '17 Pro-4X after my Frontier flooded in Harvey. Intended to buy a new Tacoma, but wasn't impressed (not made for tall ppl) with test drive and went to Nissan to look at Frontiers again and found I could get a new fully-loaded Titan Pro-4x for a couple grand more than the Tacoma.

I'm happy with my Pro-4x Titan. I had a bad sensor that was throwing codes around 45k that was repaired under warranty. Other than that, it's been pretty much mechanically flawless through 70k miles. I'm certain the engine delivers every bit of the advertised horsepower, it's a very well performing engine. The transmission has given me a few minor "wait, what was that?" moments, but it's been very sporadic and has happened over the life of the truck.

As far as Pro 4x vs Platinum, I haven't driven the Platinum, but I've driven the SV as a rental and I assume the SV and platinum share the same suspension. I wouldn't buy an SV. Too much body roll and it tends to float when making subtle changes in direction. The Pro-4x grips the road a lot better and handles better at highway speeds, even if the ride is a bit rougher, I'll take the better handling.
bam02
AG
The Platinum Reserve has ventilated seats standard. Pro4X has them as an upgrade package. Fyi.
PatriotAg98
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I have a '23 Pro4x. I wanted a sporty trim with some offroad ability because I still have my Navigator for a luxury vehicle/daily driver (which is immaculate and will never be driven offroad). I've enjoyed the Pro4X so far, and especially like the Fender speakers that come with that trim package. I love the interior appearance with the red stitching. Ultimately, you just have to make a subjective decision whether you want sporty/offroad vs. the dressier interior of the Platinum Reserve.

Even though the Pro4X is not a luxury trim, it still has way more tech features than my older Navigator. Also, I do find it intuitive and easy to use.
I had a '21 Pro4x that had 100k with no issues (I also hit a huge buck head on going 85 which destroyed the front end, headlights, etc but was able to drive it home ($14k in damage). That really impressed me, lol. Sold it cuz, I didn't want a 'wrecked truck' and deal with any issues post-fixing it. Anyway, I now have a '23 Pro4x and second Buck's post. To me, the interior is not 'cheap' looking at all on the Pro4x, and certainly not on the Plat Reserve. I almost pulled the trigger on the Plat, but I didn't like the wheels and wanted the 'sportier' look of the 4x and it did me right the first time. That engine/drivetrain is solid. Despite the best bang for the dollar, the 100k bumper to bumper warranty is gold. Also, you can save even more $$, ie paying 45-50k if you can find one with 3000-5000mi
GrapevineAg
AG
FWIW, I have a Titan SL 4x4 and I absolutely love it. The Pro-4Xs are nice too. Better value than a similar Tundra.
Pahdz
Seems like the Pro4x is similar to a TRD Off Road in a Limited trim?
Buck Turgidson
Pahdz said:

Seems like the Pro4x is similar to a TRD Off Road in a Limited trim?
I would say the Pro4X is most similar to the old TRD Pro trim. You get different shocks, skid plates, a mild lift, and different tires.
FunnyFarm14
AG
Had a Platinum Reserve XD in 16 with the little cummins. Emissions issues plagued it.
the infotainment left ALOT to be desired. Radio/nav felt 10 years old in a new top of line truck....

Seats very comfortable, but the leather was cheap & thin. Couple scratches and punctures from stuff that shouldn't have. That said - the perforated leather everything has now is starting to feel the same.

Nothing is the old 2000's King Ranch saddle leather and it shows
ElephantRider
AG
I've never owned a Titan, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone that did complain about it. Solid trucks.
Pahdz
Rule 1 picked up today. The Baja Brown looks much better in person than in the pics.

OregonAggie
AG
That's a beauty!
Buck Turgidson
Pahdz said:

Rule 1 picked up today. The Baja Brown looks much better in person than in the pics.

Nice truck! I like the color. Now you should get the NISMO catback exhaust system installed - makes the truck sound even better (without being obnoxious) and adds about 26 hp. I just got my Pro4X back today with that exhaust added. My two teenage sons highly approved when I took them for a ride in it.

GrapevineAg
AG
She's a beaut.
Pahdz
This is the info I needed...how much did you pay for it?
Buck Turgidson
You can get the exhaust from a Nissan dealer parts department for about $2,100. Then have a muffler shop or somebody independent install it (unless you can do it yourself). Its a pretty fast job.
Silvy
AG
Sheesh, did you price out a muffler and some pipe beforehand?
Pahdz
Yeah that seems a little steep, don't think I'm gonna spend that but it sounds good
Buck Turgidson
Purely a fun toy. The stock exhaust is pretty good compared to other stock pickup exhausts.
sts7049
AG
if nismo adds 26hp i'd say that means the stock exhaust kinda sucks
nealan
Interior pics please!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.