Anyone ever dipped their car?

1,816 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgGrad99
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something like this:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

I'd normally think this is pretty dumb. But my son has a 25 year old car we mess around with. The car runs great, but the paint is bad. A paint job is too pricey for what this car is worth. I've seen a few of these dipped/sprayed cars, and it actually looks pretty nice...a heck of a lot better than what his car looks like now

He just needs this thing to get him by a couple more years, and he's considering doing this. If it lasts a couple years, it'll be worth it to him. Otherwise, we'd rather not waste the time for something that'll peel off in 5 months.

Thoughts?

BBRex
AG
Have you considered a wrap?
AgGrad99
AG
He thought about doing one himself. This is a bit cheaper, and that's basically what this is.
cena05
AG
Did my rims in the past. Held up fairly well
Silvy
AG
https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/1797009/replies/38735816

I did 10 years ago, a few layers base of gunmetal gray and then aluminum on top.

You can look at last page of thread and that's how it aged in whatever the timespan was. It looks a bit rougher now, but it'd be better if I hadn't neglected it.
AgGrad99
AG
Whoa. That held up better than I thought it would.

Did you buy the kit from the same link I'd posted in the OP?

I think this will be a fun project for us.
Silvy
AG
Yes, I used dipyourcar. My recommendation would be to keep in simple and not get into mixing pearls being this is first exposure. The fanciest I'd get with it would be utilizing their Topcoat, but if I recall, that can be pretty finicky too. Topcoat wasn't a thing when I did mine.

Whatever color you do, I think a metallic one looks the best. The solid colors will certainly become bland overtime. If your boy is redass, I'd opt for Wicked Wine.

ETA this is my most recent post featuring racetruck
https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3188003
AgGrad99
AG
Cool. Thanks. His car is a faded red now...but I think he'd like a red-ish color, so that should work.

7 years later...that still looks great
Silvy
AG
7 years later it was certainly a 10' finish. Washing any bird ****, sap, or pollen off ASAP will be key to making sure it looks good for a while. That and putting enough coats down during coating.

They do have a few metallic reds, cinnamon red being the most "red".
Mookie
AG
"Dip it brah" was a silvy catch phrase for a while. Can't believe it's been that long we're getting ****ing old.
Silvy
AG
It's been a long time since I've been on that website. Got me thinking that maybe I should just recoat racetrok when time allows lol
MouthBQ98
AG
When it goes bad, removing it can be a pita. Once it's on there a while, it will start to bubble and flake from low deterioration and it comes off in bits, not peeling off, so you need a plan to buff it all off for a redo.
AgGrad99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

When it goes bad, removing it can be a pita. Once it's on there a while, it will start to bubble and flake from low deterioration and it comes off in bits, not peeling off, so you need a plan to buff it all off for a redo.
I assumed that would be the case, but you should see how much clear coat is flaking off now

If it comes off in 4-5 years, great. It's done it's job. But if it comes off in 6 months, I was going to pass on it.

From what I've read online, the key is to put a pretty thick coat down (a lot of layers), and it makes removal a lot easier (a lot less tearing).
Silvy
AG
Mine appears to be quite thin now. Whenever it comes time to remove it, I'll probably need to spray a few coats on and hope the old stuff comes off with the fresh coats.

I think you may have rekindled my affinity for the stuff with this post lol
MouthBQ98
AG
I put it on my fit due to crappy Honda clear coat. It did work for 2-3 years pretty well.

Notes: yes several layers. Remove, or sand buff all clear coat damage underneath, as it will cause weak spots in the dip coating. The dip isn't as durable as paint so as it gets dings and scratches, those can make weak spots where bubbles and tears can start. Touch up before that happens.

It will wear off on the hood/grille/bumper pretty fast relative to the rest of the car.
AgGrad99
AG
Good tips. Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.