Ford malware/ransomware attack

3,975 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Buck Turgidson
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you're planning on taking your vehicle to any Ford dealership or Quicklane for service, make sure you call before you go in. There was a malware or ransomware attack that brought down their systems nationwide.
Buck Compton
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

If you're planning on taking your vehicle to any Ford dealership or Quicklane for service, make sure you call before you go in. There was a malware or ransomware attack that brought down their systems nationwide.
Hmm, that must be why I couldn't login to the account manager or pull up the help chat today? Dang…
cryption
looks like one of their providers was attacked

https://en.as.com/latest_news/cdk-global-and-their-car-dealership-software-what-we-know-about-the-ransomware-attack-n/

Reads like attackers got their backups too. Guess they weren't immutable.....
agracer
AG
People who do this type of thing, and/or steal identities should be placed in pairs on a rubber dinghy in the middle of the Pacific with a glass of water (not bottle, glass), one granola bar each, and a hand gun with one bullet.

If they make it back, they can rejoin society. If not, we're all better off.
Tim Weaver
agracer said:

People who do this type of thing, and/or steal identities should be placed in the middle of the Pacific
Fixed that for you.....
AG
does that sleezy tech place in cs still handle ford dealer accounts? if so, couldn't have happened to a better bunch
Mookie
AG
It was their direct competitor that got hacked, unfortunately
danieljustin06
AG
GM dealerships were hit too. My buddy wasn't able to get his wife's car serviced yesterday.
MyMamaSaid
AG
<< Snippet from WSJ article behind paywall >>

Car Dealers Are in Turmoil as Cyber Incidents Strike Software Provider

CDK Global shuts down its systems serving nearly 15,000 dealers; some of the businesses return to pen and paper to carry out sales

Thousands of car dealers around the U.S. lost access for the second straight day to software that helps underpin their day-to-day operations, disrupting their ability to sell or repair cars.

https://www.wsj.com/business/car-dealers-are-in-turmoil-as-hackers-strike-crucial-business-software-d2807a05?st=s2jd8orae6oz7bf&reflink=article_copyURL_share
Ag97
AG
It's not just auto dealers. Lots of ag and construction dealers caught up in this as well. We're having to do everything with pen and paper with the hope when the system comes back on line, we'll be able to go back in and get everything reconciled. Hard to operate a billion dollar business with no business system. Never telling how many millions of dollars this is costing across the nation.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Ag97 said:

It's not just auto dealers. Lots of ag and construction dealers caught up in this as well. We're having to do everything with pen and paper with the hope when the system comes back on line, we'll be able to go back in and get everything reconciled. Hard to operate a billion dollar business with no business system. Never telling how many millions of dollars this is costing across the nation.

It's a big number for sure.. some of the rumors floating around do not sound too good either. Anyone that has any type of connection with CDKs services has severed their connections and taken them offline so the impact is very widespread outside of dealerships as well. Impacting financial services, warranty and product companies and manufacturers too.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

It's not ford. It's the entire software provider that almost every dealership uses.
big ben
AG
Ahh so it is true, I took my car to Ford today for a recall to get done and they were completely dead in the water which I thought was BS at first
sts7049
AG
it is scary sometimes how vulnerable modern technology can be
Ryan the Temp
AG
Damn . Dealerships are STILL down. Tommie Vaughn went full manual with hard copy service slips. It's bogging them down so badly they wanted me to leave my truck with them for TWO WEEKS for recall service.

cryption
Dang i wonder if the quick lanes are operating smoothly I super need an oil change
Ryan the Temp
AG
CDK now saying the systems won't be back up until after the end of the month. Some estimates put the lost sales and service revenue at around $16 billion.
classicdoug
AG
Yes, what parts we can get are being sent out with hand written invoices. There are tons of parts we aren't able to get right now.
Silvy
AG
Strongwind86
AG
cryption said:

Dang i wonder if the quick lanes are operating smoothly I super need an oil change
Yes I went by TV Quick Lane this morning (6/26).
They were open at 7:00 as usual. All the service tickets were handwritten/manual. Service (The "Works") was normal.
No issues taking my credit card for payment....
cryption
Great information man thanks so much for letting me know! I think that'll be on my agenda tomorrow
Aggie Dad 26
MouthBQ98
AG
It's not affecting me, but they need to start burning people at the stake for this kind of crap, on live video.
Stat Monitor Repairman
This sounds like a much bigger deal than reported.

Whats the latest? Anyone know?
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

This sounds like a much bigger deal than reported.

Whats the latest? Anyone know?

CDK is slowing bringing their system online. Stores/groups in the 100s may be up and "running" from the last few reports. It's pretty bad, the residual issues and lasting problems will go on for some time. Going to be interesting and it's been very bad day to day for places just trying to operate to some degree of high standard.
Buck Turgidson
The Nissan dealer I called in Tomball recently had the same problems.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.