Lexus air bag suspension

947 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Sazerac
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Feel like my 12 Lexus GX 460 suspension is wearing. Feeling all the bumps on our awesome Houston roads especially in the front end.

Took it to a local shop who said i needed new struts, but they wouldn't work on it due to the ride height sensors.

Took to Clear Choice aftermarket Lexus service today.

Said the shocks were fine, not leaking. "They either obviously fail or they are still good. "

Thinks the two airbags are dry rotting. Inflated them and will check for leaks in the morning. The full system was actually replaced under warranty by Lexus in 2018 about 50k miles ago. Seems way too early, but only got 5 years on the first set so… quoted $1300 ish.

Also showed me pics of some old radiator fluid and claimed a crack near the cap and needs full replacement. From the pics they sent looks just as likely it's from where the hose connects….or if a small crack there seems like you could repair with something like JB weld. Wanted $1200 for that…

Interested in thoughts.
JSKolache
AG
They either obviously fail or they are still good is a GARBAGE take. Shocks/struts are consumables. They wear out over time. Replace those first.
Flaith
AG
They are air struts. If they are still holding air, I don't see how they wouldn't be working like normal.
Roger350
AG
If the radiator is cracked you are living on borrowed time. JB weld is a deer lease bandaid fix until you get home and replace it properly. Those same roads that are rattling your teeth are making that crack grow, along with the 18 or so psi the system is under. Don't chance bandaid repairs on a cooling system going into the summer months in Houston. If you don't believe the shop is telling you the truth about the crack that is a different story but make them show you in person with a good light and a magnifying glass if need be. Small cracks can become big cracks quickly.
fixer
Sazerac said:

Feel like my 12 Lexus GX 460 suspension is wearing. Feeling all the bumps on our awesome Houston roads especially in the front end.

Took it to a local shop who said i needed new struts, but they wouldn't work on it due to the ride height sensors.

Took to Clear Choice aftermarket Lexus service today.

Said the shocks were fine, not leaking. "They either obviously fail or they are still good. "

Thinks the two airbags are dry rotting. Inflated them and will check for leaks in the morning. The full system was actually replaced under warranty by Lexus in 2018 about 50k miles ago. Seems way too early, but only got 5 years on the first set so… quoted $1300 ish.

Also showed me pics of some old radiator fluid and claimed a crack near the cap and needs full replacement. From the pics they sent looks just as likely it's from where the hose connects….or if a small crack there seems like you could repair with something like JB weld. Wanted $1200 for that…

Interested in thoughts.
The air bags are for load leveling and ride height and not for shock absorption.

The first thing I'd check is tire pressure. If it is 40 psi or over, you could be getting more road force input.

I've noticed that my 4Runner responds alot to tire pressures. Reading through some other forums that the GX 460 can be similar.

The symptom of a harsh ride (especially at low speeds) seems to be a frequent issue because of the KDSS system.

It could need a recalibration or a hydraulic bleeding. There may be a valve stuck keeping more pressure on the sway bar ends.

The crack in the radiator is likely the top tank. You can probably shop around (rock auto) and get a replacement radiator for less than that and have an independent shop do the work.

If you can change the brakes in a car, you should have the skills to replace a radiator. Cheapest option.
The Fife
Username checks out!
Mas89
AG
On the radiator cracked plastic near the cap, our 16 gx 460 did the same thing last year before we sold it and upgraded to a 23. Northside Lexus replaced the radiator for about that same amount.
I had noticed some colored fluid on the driveway for the first time ever before finding the slight crack/ leak.

In 7 years. And 105k miles, this was the only problem we had with the 460 other than replacing door lock actuators under warranty.
Sazerac
AG
Previous owners replaced the actuators and the airbag suspension system under warranty as well.

I'll get the radiator replaced by a local shop probably with non oem. That price seems way too high.

I just don't have a good vibe on their diagnosis of the suspension. Going to go take a look this morning at what they see.
Gottlieb
AG
Just throwing my .02 into the convo. I have a 470 and have(had) magnetic dampers. When they start to fail you'll have a harsh ride regardless of the 'comfort, sport' settings. the 470 and 460s if equipped with the mag dampers and rear bags will have the same symptoms when those dampers start to fail.

If the rear bags are truly leaking, the rear of the vehicle will be sagging after sitting for a while. It'll be very obvious visually once one has a leak. my gx is slightly lifted now and bags/electronic dampers have been deleted. those similar symptoms were why i went ahead and elected to replace suspension with non-oe stuff

based on your description(and if you want to keep the bags vs converting to springs in the rear) I'd look at replacing dampers(if your 460 is equipped with adjustable dampening(comfort, norm, sport)

Good luck on the diagnosis!
Sazerac
AG
Bags held air overnight and I took the vehicle back. These guys only work on Lexus so I'm surprised they didn't have a better solution…

It's not terrible - and maybe some of it is my imagination - but it doesn't feel like it takes the roads nearly as well as it use to / as well as a newer Sequoia we also drive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.