Tire Life

1,905 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by EskimoJoe
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Think this is the first time I've reached 6 years without needing to change tires. Michelin LTX has about 50k and is at 7/16". I believe these are rated for 70k.

Discount says after 6 years they reco replacement. Will still rotate them but it's not clear if they will still warranty or repair any damage. Claim they see sidewall dry rot.

What are thoughts from the board?

Had never heard this 6 year timeframe before and was expecting to be able to keep driving these another 20k miles which would be 2-3 years. Cant find anything on #years from Michelin.
Silvy
AG
They're not wrong. Just because a tire has good tread doesn't mean the rest of it is good.
sts7049
AG
what's the date code on your tires? are they OEM?

not sure i have ever had tires up to their rated mileage
Earth Rider
AG
I have Michelin lltx on 3 of my vehicles. They are really good tires. I'd take them somewhere for a second opinion, but if it were me I'd go ahead and replace them. Once they get to 7/16 they get to 3/16 before you know it
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm guessing y'all mean 1/32 increments?

Many tires are new with 7/16 I.e. 14/32 tread depth. Tire places start warning to consider replacing at 5 or 6/32, and some chain places wind do anything on a tire 3/32 or less.
Sazerac
AG
Sorry yes, 7/32"
Bronco6Gen
The 6 years is a thing, especially if kept outside
Mas89
AG
Had the same Michelin tires on a family members 02 Yukon for 14 years. She had the original discount tire invoice in the glovebox. It was a second vehicle and always garage kept. The tires had about 35 k miles when I got it to use as a commuter/ extra for a couple years. One of the front tires had a knot develop after a couple months and I replaced all the tires at discount tire. I showed the receipt and they warrantied the one tire!!

bigtruckguy3500
I replaced OEM tires after about 7 years and 50k miles. Not sure what they were rated for, but they were starting to show significant wear. And in fact it looked like the tread was starting to separate. There was a noticeable improvement with the new tires.

I think the rubber starts to become stiff and brittle, it loses its grip, and other things. If I had family I was driving around, I wouldn't chance it. But with it me being just me, probably not the smartest thing, but I pushed those tires beyond when I should have.
JSKolache
AG
Don't worry about the warranty mileage, those are a gimmick. Just drive and rotate them until they refuse service or one breaks.
aggiedata
AG
Take a picture of the tire. Look between the treads for creases.

Let's see the DOT numbers.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Discount is overly conservative. For good right, I imagine. Rotate and drive until they are really ready for replacement.

Maybe take a look at your spare first, just in case.
Sazerac
AG
I know the tires are 6 yrs old, just had never heard of the 6 year replacement number.

They are showing some dry rotting though, I'll just plan to replace soon during the next discount sale.
FIDO*98*
AG
I hope I'm never behind the OP at a stop light
EskimoJoe
Pulled the Jeep out of the garage and snapped a pic of the date code on the tires. Looks like they were made in the 28th week of 2005. 19 year old tires on the Jeep but they show or no signs of dry rot.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.