Kids too old for Minivan?

1,958 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
victory lapper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are looking at replacing our Honda Pilot (had it 10 years, starting to have lots of problems and in the shop too much). I've always wanted a minivan for the functionality but worry that my kids may be too old. I've got three kids (5,7,10) and we want this next car to last us 10 years.

I've also been looking at the Ford Expedition Max but the minivan is obviously more economical.

We would utilize this vehicle for regular city travel and long family trips. Our kids play sports but we don't own a boat or RV (yet ) so the towing isn't a huge need at the moment.

Would love thoughts or recommendations!
JB
AG
Minivan
aggiepaintrain
AG
Sienna
MikesFamousJava
AG
A minivan will serve you well for the next 10 years with their ages. I wouldn't hesitate to get one as long as you don't need a lot of ground clearance or towing capacity.
maroon barchetta
Ours lasted 16 years and was handed down to our youngest when he started driving. He had it into college.

Too old?

No.
BigNastyNate
AG
You want the Expediton Max, just get it. You will be happier
as you will not constantly be trying to justify upgrading anytime you have a midlife crisis in the future (boat, RV, etc…).

I have 4 kids. And some dirtbikes. And a boat.

Just sayin.
CanyonAg77
AG
Minivan works great for hauling adults. No reason why it won't work for teens.
Roger350
AG
I own both a very old Tahoe (2007) and a '22 Pacifica Hybrid. We are a family of 3 that lives near Dallas and drives cross country for vacations every summer and usually again in the fall or at Christmas. Occasionally my elderly mom makes us a family of 4 on these road trips. We just got back from DC a few weeks ago, last summer we were in Minnesota and Chicago, and in the fall we went to Denver. Lots of road trips.

The Pacifica is my favorite road trip vehicle ever.

Even in the mountains it is better than my Tahoe, as long as front wheel drive is sufficient, because that is the one thing the Tahoe has an advantage on, 4wd.

The passing power at altitude is better since it has the electric assist, and the 'Low gear' for max Regen braking did a better job slowing us down on 6% grades than being able to shift the Tahoe into 3rd or 2nd, plus it was recharging the battery as opposed to revving the **** out of the ICE.

I will admit, some of my love of the Pacifica also comes from the fact that it has modern features like radar based cruise control which was awesome in traffic jams in DC once I learned to trust it.

I also love it as a plug-in hybrid because as my wife's DD she puts gas in it once every 6 weeks or so, as opposed to once every 6 days in the Tahoe.

But, if any of your children are tall or if there is height in their DNA I would suggest skipping any vans that don't have decent leg room in the 2nd row. I drive with the seat all the way back, and the 2nd row spot behind me would probably not be terribly comfortable for even my short daughter on a long trip. The hybrid battery probably killed some of the 2nd row leg room, and it also eliminated the stow-n-go capability.

If I could have bought any van I wanted back in '22 I would.have gotten a Sienna, AWD, with the reclining 2nd row seats, but at that time, the wait list to buy any Sienna for MSRP was 18 months, and the Toyota "ordering" system is stupid as hell, not allowing you to actually order anything, but rather just lets you get in line to buy whatever the hell they decide to build. Getting AWD with the reclining seats required a very specific trim/options, and there was almost a 0% chance any dealer in Texas would have ever gotten one so equipped. I think getting AWD in Texas would have been very difficult regardless of trim.

So instead we got the plug-in hybrid Pacifica which has been great, but is a Chrysler product, so it could burn my house down or just stop running any day now...
Roger350
AG
Sorry about that TLDR post above - cliff notes: make sure whatever van you decide to buy has enough 2nd row leg room for any tall members of your crew. Our Pacifica has equal leg room to our Tahoe, but not as much as an Expedition Max or Suburban.
Jock 07
AG
Roger350 said:

Sorry about that TLDR post above - cliff notes: make sure whatever van you decide to buy has enough 2nd row leg room for any tall members of your crew. Our Pacifica has equal leg room to our Tahoe, but not as much as an Expedition Max or Suburban.

This. My family is above avg height. We had a highlander and it worked great when we only had 1 kid and didn't need the third row. I could set the drivers seat how I drive (all the way back) and still fit pretty comfortably in the second row. Then we had twins.

I wanted to go to a minivan because of the significant jump in price to a full size suv. However we just couldn't find one that would fit us with the car seats. And knowing that my sons will continue to grow fast we opted for an expedition max with a lot more space.

There's a lot of folks on this board that will strangely look down upon you for choosing a full size suv over a minivan. It's really weird. They'll also claim that minivans have as much, if not more space but it's simply not the case. Hell I can even sit in the third row of our expedition surprisingly well.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm about to jump in my 25 year old Ford Expedition 5.4L V8 4x4 XLT in Aggie Maroon of course.

I'm moving between houses today and once you fold the seats down, there's tons of room. Obviously it'll tow a trailer like nobody's business. I've twice towed a U-Haul 6x12 trailer full of my stuff from Denver to Los Angeles cruising @ 70 mph.

Seats 8 and has done it a few times, including a few ski trips to Breckenridge. Also plenty of LAX airport runs with 5 rockers plus guitars.

Used it for both daughters when they went to college. Guess whose friends always asked them to drive?

30 States and 252,000 miles later, it does need a new paint job. But my vote is Expedition all the way.

Just be sure to plan for all contingencies such as snow, trailers, 8 people, college, grandkids, grandparents.

I intentionally ordered my Expedition without running boards. But, after I had it for about 15 years, my father was now 80 years old and was struggling to climb up into the truck so, I added some aftermarket running boards to help him.

Good Luck!
victory lapper
AG
These replies are incredibly helpful, thank you all. It's funny that I've always wanted a minivan but my wife was always hesitant and now she's trying to convince me that the minivan is the best move.

Honestly price is a huge factor right now. We can put a significant chunk down but if we go with a newish Expedition we'll still be looking at what feels like another mortgage payment.

Keep the other thoughts and opinions coming! This is so helpful
aftershock
We have three kids almost the same ages. We got an Expy max about 5 years ago. It's been great. Plenty of room to spread out. We can haul more than we need most of the time. It has plenty of power and drives great. It is probably the best vehicle we've ever owned.

The prices they're asking for right now are crazy though. We got in right before Covid hit so we got a decent price and 0%. It'd be a tough pill to swallow in today's market.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Agree with you about pricing.

At the Houston Auto Show a few months ago, I sat in a new Expedition Timberline and it was awesome. But, I didn't feel like it was $80,000 worth of awesome.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Since you're trying to convince your wife, a few considerations.

My wife likes the fact that in the Expedition you sit higher up in traffic. And she likes the fact there's so much room that she doesn't have to focus on loading everything just right.

A lot of women struggle with parking but, it's really not that hard. Especially these days with all the cameras and sensors.

A lot of people complain about the gas mileage in the Expedition but, as long as you don't live in California, that's not a huge factor. Also, if you're worried about gas mileage #learntocode j/k

This isn't a problem in Texas but in California, I did have some challenges at times parking in parking garages in LA because at 6'5" height, my Expedition was too beaucoup.
ckinard
AG
Honda Odyssey is your car. I have owned four or five of them. Went Pilot for a while but now retired and went back to minivan. Great for my parents who are now in their 80s. Funny how the kid features are now great for older people. Ex. Easy door entry, Intercom for the hard of hearing, camera for back seat, zones for the radio...you name it. Try it if you are still happy with Honda. I own 4 Honda cars...and I might as well be a dealership. Gig'em!

I took my Pilot to Alabama game road trip and bought the minivan the next week...wish I would have had my mini-van.

https://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey
Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent People Ignore. Albert Einstein
Roger350
AG
The Odyssey is way too long in the tooth. We looked at them, and the one thing they have going for them is price. They have fallen way behind everyone on everything, but they are cheaper.
cryption
My coworker got a Kia Carnival and it's sweet. With that said my family ride is an expedition.
cena05
AG
Carnival here and love it. Makes any driving with the kids so much better.
Ciboag96
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.