Dilemma - Keep or Dump

2,531 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by jh0400
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 2022 Jeep GC 4xe Trailhawk with 16,000 miles on it, and for the first 16 months I owned it I had no complaints whatsoever. On paper it is the perfect vehicle for me. In April I had a CEL for a bad electric coolant heater. This is a pretty common part failure, and it was in the shop for three days to be repaired. On Saturday morning I was driving home from running an errand and it overheated. I pulled into a parking lot and the coolant reservoir was bone dry. I had it towed to the dealership and they told me that the code was the same as before (bad ECH), but there was also a leak in the water pump. They're replacing the water pump first to make sure there are no other coolant leaks. My experience has always been that once you start having these types of issues they become persistent.

As much as I'd like to trust that the repair under warranty will solve the issue and allow me to get a few more years out of the vehicle, I'm not sure I'm there. When I bought this one, my second choice was a Bronco, but they were still going for at to slightly over MSRP. It looks like they've come down a bit, and TV appears to have one on the lot that would fit what I'd want. Based on the Carvana offer, I'd need to come up with around $30K to trade out of the Jeep into the Bronco. I'm not excited to take the hit, but at the same time the Jeep will never be worth more than it is worth today.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Drive it until the warranty is out, why run now?
jh0400
AG
Because I take a few road trips per year, and I no longer trust that it isn't going to have some other issue that leaves me stranded in the middle of nowhere. A car with so few miles that has been properly maintained shouldn't have these issues.
JB
AG
I get your concern but I'd probably give it another chance with this repair before going thru the hassle of finding something new
Stat Monitor Repairman
jh0400 said:

Because I take a few road trips per year, and I no longer trust that it isn't going to have some other issue that leaves me stranded in the middle of nowhere. A car with so few miles that has been properly maintained shouldn't have these issues.
Would dump and move on.
sts7049
AG
jh0400 said:

true, but you did buy a jeep, so...
fixer
jh0400 said:

Your instincts are probably right with this vehicle.

Get the water pump fixed and move on. Things are only going to get worse from here.

(yeah, yeah username doesn't check out)
10andBOUNCE
AG
Chrysler gonna Chrysler
jh0400
AG
sts7049 said:

jh0400 said:

true, but you did buy a jeep, so...

And on paper it's a perfect vehicle for what I need. Off road capable for the few times a year I need it, and enough battery range that it covers my daily commute.
water turkey
It's a Jeep. It will never be right.
steve00
AG
I would keep it once they fix this issue.

If you start having issues with the hybrid system, I would immediately dump it though. Jeep service isn't very good at solving those issues.

I had a 2021 Wrangler 4xe and in two years it spent two full months in service for various hybrid issues, including them bricking the hybrid battery while running software updates during an oil change.
jh0400
AG
Did you get a buyback? I'd love to figure out how to get one, because I'm ready to move on.
MouthBQ98
AG
Unlike my 25 year old Nissan with 280,000 miles, you just can't drive a Jeep out into the middle of nowhere solo, and trust you will make it back out.

But seriously, I'd give the repair a chance to settle in and see if it was a fluke.
steve00
AG
Nope. I just traded it in for a gas Subaru Crosstrek and an electric Mini Cooper. Since Wranglers hold their value so well, it was almost an even swap.
RedAnimal12
water turkey said:

It's a Jeep. It will never be right.
It's an EV. It will never be right.
jh0400
AG
Update from the dealer is that they have the water pump, but that's a two day process to replace. There is also a code for a bad ECH, but they can't look into it until the water pump is fixed. As of now it looks like it will be in the shop until next week sometime. The longer this drags on the closer I get to making the call to dump it.
aggiepaintrain
AG
depends on what you want to get
new 4Runner might be worth waiting for
jh0400
AG
I'm out on the first of a new model year for now. I'm leaning Bronco at the moment.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I would not trust the bronco drivetrain long term

2023 4Run? 2017/18 LC?
jh0400
AG
4Runner wasn't comfortable for me, and I'm not interested in spending $60K for a six year old vehicle with 100k miles.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Put some ducks in the dash.
htownag99
AG
I went through my 4th water pump in my GC before I was tired of it and traded it in on a 4Runner. Once you replace a water pump on a GC, it is a persistent problem.
jh0400
AG
htownag99 said:

I went through my 4th water pump in my GC before I was tired of it and traded it in on a 4Runner. Once you replace a water pump on a GC, it is a persistent problem.

That's my fear.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

two day process to replace.
Thats the rub here.

That vehicle will never be better than the day it rolled off the factory line. Connectors and other plastic parts get ****ed even trying to make the repair.

That intrusive of work at 16K miles, and an overheat, I'd get it gone.

Overheating and engine can cause all kinds of issues with weakened plastic connectors and gaskets that may go with continued heat cycling. An overheated aluminum engine is especially asking for trouble.
Old Tom Morris
Dump. Take it as an expensive lesson learned and dont buy another chrysler product
jh0400
AG
I just picked it up from the dealership and remembered how much I like it when it's working properly. Still not sure it has a home here long term, but I'm going to give these repairs a chance until I find something I think I'd like more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.