1940's Tractor Restoration

1,082 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by CanyonAg77
eatapastarunafasta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, I have a 1940's era McCormick Farmall Cub tractor that was my grandfather's. My brother and I are looking to have it restored to working order. Does anyone have any leads on such an undertaking within the state?

The tractor is in DFW now but we're willing to travel some if needed.

Fun fact, there's airplane propeller damage to the front that we'd like to keep.

Thanks and Gig Em'
Silvy
AG
CP90 Inc. down in the valley
agnerd
AG
Start with your local FFA groups. Bunch of them restore a tractor each year for FFA competitions. They do great work and are usually happy to supply the free labor if you provide the tractor, parts, and supplies. It will be way cheaper than having a shop do it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Define "restored". Do you want it to run and drive, or do you want a nicer-than-new show tractor?

You already mentioned a prop strike you want to retain. It sounds more like you want "patina", as the car guys say. So maybe you don't want the dents out and fresh paint. Maybe you want it preserved. The saying is "it's only old once".

That being said, I like the idea of working with a local FFA if you want a really nice restoration. It's going to cost a lot to get it restored, and free labor will lower the cost considerably.

These old tractors were as simple as bricks. It doesn't really take a lot of skill and knowledge to get them on the road again. And they are easily taken apart for paint. Consider doing it yourself.

Centerpole90 is really into old tractors. I've got some experience as well. I know folks hate Facebook, but owners groups on FB are a great resource
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not sure if rookies can post photos, but if you take some, I think you can post links to photo hosting sites like imagur

Photos might help us tell you what you are up against
Centerpole90
AG
Dang, I've been on Texags more in the last 48 hrs than anytime since we hired Jimbo and I still missed the rare old tractor thread.

IMHO, the OP has received some great advice from posters above and it is the same advice I give to folks when they ask me what to do with a tractor and can't or don't want to work on it themselves. Like Canyon said, there are many varying degrees of 'restored' - and I'll add that with tractors most them involve a $ cost that will exceed the monetary value of the finished product.

That said, I applaud you for having the desire to hang-on-to, repair, or restore, your grandfather's tractor and keep its character intact. There is something wholesome about a tractor. The problem for most folks is that they have little useful application once they are restored yet they take up room and require maintenance to maintain just like an automobile.

Like Canyon said, post up pics! If you can't, email them to my username @yahoo.com I will be happy to - just let me know in this thread that you did because I seldom check that account. We'd love to see it and hear the story about its days a tug.
CyanideJenkins
AG
eatapastarunafasta said:

Howdy, I have a 1940's era McCormick Farmall Cub tractor that was my grandfather's. My brother and I are looking to have it restored to working order. Does anyone have any leads on such an undertaking within the state?

Fun fact, there's airplane propeller damage to the front that we'd like to keep.

Thanks and Gig Em'
Need to hear more about said airplane propeller damage story.
eatapastarunafasta
CyanideJenkins said:

eatapastarunafasta said:

Thanks and Gig Em'
Ha. Grandfather was a crop duster down in the Beaumont area. He had a hanger he'd park the planes and tractor in and probably got a little too close at one point. I had mowed the runway with said tractor a few times growing up. Like riding a bull every time you hit a armadillo hole with no power steering.
eatapastarunafasta
Centerpole90 said:

Dang, I've been on Texags more in the last 48 hrs than anytime since we hired Jimbo and I still missed the rare old tractor thread.

IMHO, the OP has received some great advice from posters above and it is the same advice I give to folks when they ask me what to do with a tractor and can't or don't want to work on it themselves. Like Canyon said, there are many varying degrees of 'restored' - and I'll add that with tractors most them involve a $ cost that will exceed the monetary value of the finished product.

That said, I applaud you for having the desire to hang-on-to, repair, or restore, your grandfather's tractor and keep its character intact. There is something wholesome about a tractor. The problem for most folks is that they have little useful application once they are restored yet they take up room and require maintenance to maintain just like an automobile.

Like Canyon said, post up pics! If you can't, email them to my username @yahoo.com I will be happy to - just let me know in this thread that you did because I seldom check that account. We'd love to see it and hear the story about its days a tug.
I'll still try to send you pics. I think my brother found someone out in Lubbock for $5k and 6 months. I think he's already going through with it but thought TexAgs would be the best/first place I'd pose a question like this. I appreciate everyone's recommendations and kind words.
CyanideJenkins
AG
eatapastarunafasta said:

CyanideJenkins said:

eatapastarunafasta said:

Thanks and Gig Em'
Ha. Grandfather was a crop duster down in the Beaumont area. He had a hanger he'd park the planes and tractor in and probably got a little too close at one point. I had mowed the runway with said tractor a few times growing up. Like riding a bull every time you hit a armadillo hole with no power steering.

Good stuff!
CanyonAg77
AG
Sounds like a reasonable price for a full restoration. Just keep in mind that the finished product might only be worth $2500 to resell.

Just make sure the guy knows how you want it done (prop strike). And make sure you are in agreement as to whit comes out better than new or more like grandad had it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.