Need Opinions

1,846 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Diamond Dogs
jtmoney03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Background - my employer (Manufacturer) provides me with 2 leases. One I've given to my wife, the other to my son. Last delivered in 2022. They were on 2 year leases and the replacements are currently being built. We are likely 2-3 months from completion and delivery to me. As of three days ago, my daughter is now licensed and the 2nd lease coming is one built for her. So my kids will have the 2 new ones, and my wife and I will purchase one of the existing leases.

Situation - we now have 4 drivers and 3 vehicles (I drive a Jeep that we have for flat towing behind RV). The kids do not drive the Jeep, as I do not have them on my insurance. This is because insurance is covered under my leases and is a huge perk from my company, to save $400 a month in insurance for the kiddos. However, we are in a predicament…son leaves for college in a little over a month, daughter just got a job and is heavily involved with school activities that keep her busy during the summer. We've already run into a situation where we needed a 4th car and it's been 3 days lol.

Request - if you had to buy a stop gap vehicle, reliable for the most part because of a 40 mile commute each way on days I'm in the office, what would you look at that would hold resale relatively well for the next 2-4 months? I'm good with used, but not really looking for a cash car. I know I'll take a little bit of a bath in 4 months, but this is becoming increasingly more dire by the day trying to maneuver the cars around to get people places. Looking for probably something fun to drive that I wouldn't normally get (I'm a lifted truck/Jeep guy), that won't break the bank completely later this year when I sell it outright. Preferably new or the last 3-4 model years, 20-40K miles, under 35-40K price tag. Truck/SUV/Sporty Car would be the preference. No EVs, but hybrid would be fine.

I've entered analysis paralysis and just looking for ideas that I may not be thinking about. Thanks!
EMY92
AG
Find a Camry. Value won't change in a few months.
dubi
AG
EMY92 said:

Mazda 3
Civic
Corolla

MRB10
AG
Agree with the above. As someone who used to underwrite commercial auto insurance, I'm shocked the company/insurance carrier is cool with employees adding 16 year old drivers to their program. That's a hell of a perk.

Which insurance company is on your insurance card?
jtmoney03
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Agree with the above. As someone who used to underwrite commercial auto insurance, I'm shocked the company/insurance carrier is cool with employees adding 16 year old drivers to their program. That's a hell of a perk.

Which insurance company is on your insurance card?

Color me shocked as well! It was one of the reasons I took a small pay cut to make a move there a few years ago. The company I work for just happens to be one of the largest in the world and is responsible for 2 out of the 4 suggestions so far

It's a very strict policy and they are monitored by the DMV and are quick to be removed I'm sure, if they account for accidents/moving violations in a rolling period.

It's an agency listed and not tied in a way I can tell who the carrier is. Luckily I have not had to find out in 2+ years with my son in the program.
Silvy
AG
Mustang GT
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Minivan
Sazerac
AG
Any used vehicle can probably be resold at same price in a few months. You take the full tax hit plus registration though.

Why not just do a long term rental? Would be about the same and way less hassle.
MRB10
AG
I just about guarantee they have a high self insured retention. That answers my question about how it's possible.

Buck Turgidson
dubi said:

EMY92 said:

Mazda 3
Civic
Corolla

All good. Might add Rav 4 to that list.
HumbleAg04
AG
For a few months? Tell the kids to suck it up and figure it out.
trip98
AG
What about an older higher mileage Lexus sedan?
jtmoney03
AG
I wish that was the case, but it's just not feasible. There too much going on and I'm factoring stress level trying to make things work everyday into the equation.

Even looked at a long term rental, but that is cost prohibitive too, though I'm still looking at those options.
jtmoney03
AG
I'm thinking in these terms as I start to narrow the search.
Silvy
AG
I generally don't think of Lexus sedans when I read "fun to drive"
trip98
AG
Silvy said:

I generally don't think of Lexus sedans when I read "fun to drive"
I guess depends on how you define fun to drive. Sporty? comfortable? Mix of sport, luxury, etc.

first off I can tell you from having a 20 mile one way commute the comfort of a Lexus may not be FUN to drive but it makes commute MUCH better

second, if by fun to drive you mean sporty then check out some of the sport model Lexus'

Our ES350 has plenty of get up and can be sporty if you want it to be. Our neighbor has a Lexus 4 door sedan that is the Sport level but can't remember exactly which model. It's about 6 years old and plenty fun to drive when making commute and just around town running errands
Diamond Dogs
S
Turo?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.