Anyone Ever Lived in Lake Charles, LA?

1,300 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by NoahAg
Roger350
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All, I posted a question looking for advice on where to live in and around Lake Charles, LA on the Gulf Coast board, but I spend all my time on this board, the outdoors board, and football board, so I don't even know if the Gulf Coast board is the appropriate place for the query.

Linking it here because I "know" the posters here better and the type of opinions that are shared here.

Thanks for looking.

https://texags.com/forums/44/topics/3472784/replies/67995259#67995259

And to make it Auto board related, do any of the parishes around Lake Charles not require emissions testing? My EVO would love not being sniffed every year...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Help us out a bit.
Wife? Kids? Age of kids?
House, apartment, condo, something else?
City or county?
Your age and interests? Meaning, do you still go out and party so being close might be something you are interested in, or if you fish a bunch, being near the water might be more important. Those kind of things.

The desirable place to live changes as your life changes.

The place you don't want to live is north or northwest of the big industrial facilities.
Roger350
AG
Sorry, those are great questions:

50, class of '96, married, only kid starts college in the fall of '25 so when we move to LC permanently we will be empty nesting for the first time.

I covered some of this in the longer thread I started, I'm looking for temp housing now, as I'll be in LC 4-5 days a week and coming home to Rockwall on weekends until my daughter graduates and goes off to school.

We are not party / nightlife types. Ideal social weekends now include some sort of gathering with church friends to play 42 or other social games, drink a few cold shiners, real laid back, low energy stuff, BBQ, etc.

Always been suburbanites, and the comfort zone would be finding a nice suburb similar to Rockwall, Plano, The Woodlands, etc., but I'm not sure that exists there.

As empty nesters when we permanently move, we are going to be open to anything. Apartment or condos would be fine, owning another suburban house would be fine, and having 5 AC or less to build on would be fine. We are not opposed to trying the urban lifestyle where we are in a condo or apartment in walking distance to restaurants, entertainment, etc., but most weeknights we would prefer a quiet evening at home, and probably wouldn't get as much out of the urban setting as younger more energetic partiers might.

I'm a car guy obviously, so having land where I could have a shop / garage-ma-hall would interest me, but I don't want lots of acreage I have to keep up with since I am a suburban boy. Don't know if there are good racetracks (road courses) nearby, I think NOLA Motorsports Park does have track days, and MSR Houston is probably the next closest. Like to track my EVO 4-5 weekends a year.

Lots of guns and shooting interests, and mainly upland bird hunting, although I will get into waterfowl hunting because of the location, but probably would look for a duck club that manages the blinds and maybe even takes care of the decoys, because I have never had the time, space, or interest in acquiring all the necessary equipment to go out and waterfowl hunt on my own.
drumboy
AG
Darryl's is good
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
SWLAg
AG
I live in Carlyss, which is just outside of Sulphur. If you want 5 acres you will need to go north of Sulphur, Westlake, and Moss Bluff. Vinton can get you some acreage as well and would be good if you don't have kids. All of those places do require a short drive to restaurants/town. Not having kids at home opens things up quite a bit as schools are not the best here.

I've been here for 5+ years now and my wife was born and raised here so if you have any more questions I'll be happy to help.
Aggietaco
AG
I lived there from 1984 to 1988 if that helps.
HumbleAg04
AG
Check Iowa, Ragley and other surrounding areas. Lake Charles is expensive when compared to Texas suburbs.

Daryl's is a good sandwich. That jalapeno mayo…
Roger350
AG
Thanks for all the input all.
NoahAg
Thankfully, no.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.