Clear Ceramic tint to windshield

4,121 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MikesFamousJava
Temple Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How effective a is it at reducing interior temperature during the summer?

How much does it usually cost?

Thanks in advance.
'03ag
Cost I dunno because I had them do it all at once

Does it work? I'll never go without it again.
dodger02
AG
Get at least 70% ceramic. I have 85% and the heat reduction isn't great.
MaxPower
Windshield only depends on the car. Prolly $500-600. I wouldn't bother unless you are doing all the glass.
mosdefn14
AG
When I drive my truck with it, I'm not impressed. When I drive mommas car without it, I want it.

I don't think it helps with heat when parked in the sun like I expected. Where I notice it is not getting sunburns when driving into the sun.
MaxPower
mosdefn14 said:

When I drive my truck with it, I'm not impressed. When I drive mommas car without it, I want it.

I don't think it helps with heat when parked in the sun like I expected. Where I notice it is not getting sunburns when driving into the sun.
Yes, if it's left in the heat without the AC it will get hot no matter what. Main benefit is it cools more quickly and uses less a/c to maintain temp and reduces UV (sunburn). I have only gotten it in an EV because the a/c uses battery and is loud and annoying.
CenterHillAg
AG
I have it on my Jetta that's black with a black interior and it makes a huge difference. I bought the car with no tint and the AC was useless in the summer, ceramic tint was added on the side windows and back glass which helped, but the heat radiated off the dash from the windshield and it was still a little warm. I had the windshield tinted with 70% ceramic a year later and you could immediately feel a difference, the AC kept up no issue in the heat last summer. I routinely leave the house about 3 pm to make a 3 hr commute, and 10 mins of idling with the AC running under shade had the car ice cold and stays that way the entire drive.
jrrhouston98
AG
I have it on all windows, sunroof, and 50 on the windshield. Makes a huge difference. Well worth it. Had Fabian do it and I think in total it was $400. Might've been $450.
wargograw
I charge 275 ceramic, 399 for premium ceramic. Highly recommend it.
My Kel Co
AG
Got mine done for 150. I would personally recommend 50%
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Have it on current truck at 70%. Full ceramic.

Did it on previous one too. It's noticeable difference
JamesPShelley
My guy in 92262 has never charged me more than $100. Anything more than $150 highly is questionable.
jh0400
AG
I had Fabian do ceramic all around including 70% on the windshield and can't say that I'd go back. It makes a huge difference. It was a bit more expensive for me, because I also had to have him remove the dealer installed tint first.
jh0400
AG
JamesPShelley said:

My guy in 92262 has never charged me more than $100. Anything more than $150 highly is questionable.

I'd be shocked if $100 covered the materials for a full premium ceramic tint install.
aggieforester05
AG
jh0400 said:

JamesPShelley said:

I'd be shocked if $100 covered the materials for a full premium ceramic tint install.
I suspect he's talking about the windshield only. I had mine done in 2020 50% Ceramic on Windshield and Limo Brow and it was $120 for those two. I think I was all in at less than $300 for the whole truck. About to have the windshield replaced, so I'll soon find out how much it's gone up.
lb sand
AG
I called Fabian this morning about my wife's new mb gle. He quoted me $730 to ceramic all the glass including the moonroof. I told him I wanted max heat protection. Seems high based off what you guys are saying.
Is there some other auto tint buzz word I should have asked for or is $730 reasonable?
jh0400
AG
That's about what I paid.
big ben
AG
CenterHillAg said:

I routinely leave the house about 3 pm to make a 3 hr commute.

Not to derail but what?
LeftyAg89
AG
lb sand said:

I called Fabian this morning about my wife's new mb gle. He quoted me $730 to ceramic all the glass including the moonroof. I told him I wanted max heat protection. Seems high based off what you guys are saying.
Is there some other auto tint buzz word I should have asked for or is $730 reasonable?

2 years ago he did ceramic on my truck (all windows, windshield and brow) for $560.
I didn't request "max protection" or anything :-)

so $730 sounds about right with bidenflation!
CenterHillAg
AG
I work seasonally and it's on demand, 3-4 months a year 200 miles from home. I'll leave the house once or twice a week during that time and drive down to work, and head home once I'm caught up.
bam02
AG
I got 80% on mine and it makes a noticeable difference on the heat you feel from the sun shining directly on you.

I would have preferred darker but it's all my place offered.
FIDO*98*
AG
wargograw said:

Would you mind walking me through what the percentages mean and what make a premium ceramic.
texsn95
AG
lb sand said:

He quoted me $620 for tint removal and install of the ceramic, including windshield, on my 95 Cobra (no moonroof), so your quote seems on par.
chris1515
AG
So if yall buy a car with tint already on it, even if new car, you have it removed and this stuff put on?
Silvy
AG
Yes
wargograw
FIDO*98* said:

wargograw said:

Would you mind walking me through what the percentages mean and what make a premium ceramic.

The percentages people mention are the amount of light the film allows in. Most windshield film is 70-80%. Premium ceramic rejects more heat.
JB
AG
Still thinking I need ceramic on my motorhome. Driving west out of TX last week in the afternoon was brutal.
JamesPShelley
aggieforester05 said:

jh0400 said:

JamesPShelley said:

I suspect he's talking about the windshield only. I had mine done in 2020 50% Ceramic on Windshield and Limo Brow and it was $120 for those two. I think I was all in at less than $300 for the whole truck. About to have the windshield replaced, so I'll soon find out how much it's gone up.
Yes. Windshield only. Likewise, cracked windshield ($850)... I suspect he'll charge $100, again, for the "tint"... as the windshieldwill be out of the car... easier install.
PMD03
AG
Getting a model 3 windshield done this week in New Braunfels with XPEL XR Plus for $200.
lb sand
AG
FYI, Fabian offers a cash discount.
He did a great job.
satexas
AG
wargograw said:

This guy (Paul aka Wargo) did my truck in Austin... best thing I ever did on the truck and I've done plenty to it. He did excellent work, A++++ Aggie.

I'll never go without the ceramic tint again on any vehicle. I have a dark truck (deep blue).

Prime XR Tint (Black, you want BLACK) all around, and 70% Prime XR Tint (clear) on windshield inside. Prime XR is 'the bomb' for tint in quality/durability/clear/never purples (~$600)
I tinted all windows, including rear. They put on a 'less dark' rear film to help it 'blend' in.
https://www.xpel.com/shop/window-film/automotive-window-tint
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Does Fabian work in College Station? Or is there a BCS specific person recommended?
tfunk02
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Does Fabian work in College Station? Or is there a BCS specific person recommended?
I nerded out on tint just last year, and got quotes from all I could find in town. Most here in B/CS recommended Ag Solar.

In my case, a Tesla with a lot of glass, Ag Solar's quote was $2,000 with a brand of tint that is good, but not great (Llumar IRX). I ended up driving to Houston to get what most considered the best brand of tint at the time Xpel Prime Plus for $925. The only place I found that did Xpel in town was https://www.glopremierautospa.com/, but they wanted $1,396 and wanted to do 2 pieces for the big back glass instead of one full piece like I ended up getting. They did not have the necessary equipment to do a one piece.

I used https://www.gcautoshield.com/ in SW Houston which is a highly regarded place on many car forums. The TexAgs Auto board's Houston reccomendation (Fabian) used a brand of tint I did not want, but don't remember which one it was.
bam02
AG
Thanks, so did you get the roof done?
tfunk02
AG
All glass was done for $925 with the large glass being done in a single piece of film. It looks great and I have not noticed any issues after about 10 months.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.