Infiniti Q50 vs Lexus IS350

2,597 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by oatb
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been loosely in the market for a while now, and was originally thinking I wanted another coupe. I'm just starting to think that I may instead go sporty sedan vs coupe. It's just hard for me to justify the extra $10K to go for a coupe, simply for the cool look. I was considering the Lexus RC-300 for a while, but the the thought is: "If I'm buying a luxury sport coupe, then I might as well go with the 350 F sport.". But now, your looking at over $60K for a car, which I have a hard time coming to terms with.

After all of that, I started looking at the sporty sedans, which cost over $10K less, and still provide the same performance. My thoughts are for reliability and then looks. For this reason, i have a bias towards the japanese car manufacturers. I've had my 2012 Altima coupe for 10 years, and have had no major issues with it. For that reason, I'm interested in Infiniti. However, obviously Lexus has the best name in reliability.

Wanted to see if anyone has experience with the Q50 and IS350. What the thoughts are on both these models, both pros and cons. It looks like I can find a version of either one at or below $50K, which is where I would prefer to be.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Did your Altima come with the CVT transmission? You got a unicorn if you didn't have any major issues after 10 years.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Lathspell
AG
I'm not 100% sure one way or the other. From what i've read, the 2012 2.5L coupes should have CVT. Honestly, the only issue i've had was a plastic connector cracking for one of my moon roof drainage hoses.

Aside from that, just standard wear and tear.
drumboy
AG
Purely based off my experience w/ QX56 (same as QX80) vs a slightly older & higher mileage LX570, I'd go w/ the Lexus.

I'll just leave this hear since you mentioned a sporty sedan, 0-60 times:

Q50: 5 seconds
IS350: 5.7 seconds
Model 3 Performance: 2.9 seconds (Model Y performance is 3.5 seconds and better for CostCo trips)
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Flaith
AG
Going from an Altima coupe to a Q50 or IS350 might feel sportier, but my view is that they aren't really all that sporty.

Have you looked at a 21-22 M340i? That would be a very large upgrade in driving experience for not a huge increase in $$.

Or hell, you could go the other direction and look at VW Golf R.

If reliability is your major driver, I think the Lexus would be the best choice of the two.

Honestly, the Model 3 recommendation is a really good one for this size/class of cars.
YouBet
AG
I drove a 2006 IS350 for 10 years. I loved that car. Zero issues with it other than routine maintenance. Only reason I traded it in was because I got bored.

You should get the Lexus IS500 and get the V8 with the 500 hp.
drumboy
AG
YouBet said:

I drove a 2006 IS350 for 10 years. I loved that car. Zero issues with it other than routine maintenance. Only reason I traded it in was because I got bored.

You should get the Lexus IS500 and get the V8 with the 500 hp.

Is that same as the ISF? Those are badass

A neighbor has a GSF and while not as sexy or Euro-righteous as an M5 or E class AMG, I'd prefer the maintenance bills of the Lexus over a German option.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Flaith
AG
Pretty much the same. They dropped the IS-F with the old model in 2014. Then they introduced the IS500 with the 5.0L V8 in 2022(?) and have not yet offered a new IS-F variant. Similar treatment to the LC model with the LC500 being the top trim level.

I don't think they've confirmed an LC-F or new IS-F, only rumors.

I love the GS-F, but they are still like $70k+
Lathspell
AG
Honestly, there's nothing that would convince me to go German. I've just heard too many horror stories.

As for Tesla, I hate the way they look. For me, my prerogatives go: Reliability > Looks > Sporty

I'm starting to really lean IS-350 F Sport. Lexus is currently offering 3.99% on a 60 month for July.
GAC06
AG
Flaith said:

Pretty much the same. They dropped the IS-F with the old model in 2014. Then they introduced the IS500 with the 5.0L V8 in 2022(?) and have not yet offered a new IS-F variant. Similar treatment to the LC model with the LC500 being the top trim level.

And they stopped making them a few years ago. About to sell my 2017 GS-F though
agracer
AG
Flaith said:

Going from an Altima coupe to a Q50 or IS350 might feel sportier, but my view is that they aren't really all that sporty.

Have you looked at a 21-22 M340i? That would be a very large upgrade in driving experience for not a huge increase in $$.

Or hell, you could go the other direction and look at VW Golf R.

If reliability is your major driver, I think the Lexus would be the best choice of the two.

Honestly, the Model 3 recommendation is a really good one for this size/class of cars.
This. Fantastic sports sedan. Ride is a bit harsh but good heavens it's a lot of fun to drive.

Also consider a Genesis G70.

Look for a used IS350. New prices are still way high and dealers are negotiating much. Stuff I've read online is that the time to buy will be this fall when inventory catches up and prices will come down.
drumboy
AG
agracer said:

Stuff I've read online is that the time to buy will be this fall when inventory catches up and prices will come down.

Seems like that's what I've been hearing for the last 2 years....

GAC06
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Honestly, there's nothing that would convince me to go German. I've just heard too many horror stories.

As for Tesla, I hate the way they look. For me, my prerogatives go: Reliability > Looks > Sporty

I'm starting to really lean IS-350 F Sport. Lexus is currently offering 3.99% on a 60 month for July.

Have you looked at the new Model 3 Performance? They look a lot different than the previous model. That's what I'm replacing my GS-F with. Cheaper and blows an IS-350 (and GS-F) away performance wise.
agracer
AG
GAC06 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Have you looked at the new Model 3 Performance? They look a lot different than the previous model. That's what I'm replacing my GS-F with. Cheaper and blows an IS-350 (and GS-F) away performance wise.
Are there pics somewhere I'm missing b/c google not showing much difference.
PMD03
AG
GAC06 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Going on three weeks with mine. I love it! American made, headquartered in Texas, ten-second sports sedan for $45k.

The turn signal buttons suck. I am a card carrying BMWCCA member, so I shouldn't be using them anyways.
Lathspell
AG
I am not going EV. I don't want to have to worry about charging the thing and I don't like the look of them. I don't know why they make them so ugly.

I'll be sticking with a regular car for a long time.
oatb
AG
hey I'm selling my 2011 M3 Sedan with 45K miles if you want a screaming V8 sedan that is relatively reliable.
YouBet
AG
Agree with agracer that you should at least look at the Genesis G70. That's on my short list for when/if I ever upgrade my current car.
MikesFamousJava
AG
OP, have you considered an Acura Integra Type S?
Lathspell
AG
I had not. Just pulled it up, but not really a fan of the rear design.
idAg09
GAC06 said:

Flaith said:

And they stopped making them a few years ago. About to sell my 2017 GS-F though
Selling your GS here or somewhere else? I've been eyeing the IS500 F but the GS is probably the bigger size I need
Flaith
AG
also potentially interested when you decide to sell
GAC06
AG
I'll update in a week or two when I'm ready to sell. Black/red 66k miles 2017
drumboy
AG
GAC06 said:

I'll update in a week or two when I'm ready to sell. Black/red 66k miles 2017
Looking forward to seeing the details.

Lathspell
AG
Pretty much deciding on the IS-350 F Sport. Now, just looking at the packages. Really, the only thing I'm concerned about is the difference between the stock sound system and the Mark Levinson upgrade. Apparently, the only package that includes the ML system adds another $5K of other addons I don't really care about.

I can get an IS-350 F Sport for $48K, but getting the ML system ends up putting it around $55K with all the other upgrades.
howdyags12!
AG
I drive a Lexus w/ the ML sound system and love it! Although I'm unsure how much you enjoy music or if you're an audiophile, don't think you'll ever regret having that sound system, especially in a sport car.
Lathspell
AG
Next question for most would be, if the list price is $55K, what kind of negotiating room would you say they have? I would probably wait until the end of the month, to get quotas to push as low as possible.

I don't mind negotiating hard, but I also have no idea on what is within reason to push for. Would $50K be possible, or would I be looking at more along the lines of $53K?
howdyags12!
AG
Personally from my experience I'd push for $49k but would be okay w/ $50k
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Pretty much deciding on the IS-350 F Sport. Now, just looking at the packages. Really, the only thing I'm concerned about is the difference between the stock sound system and the Mark Levinson upgrade. Apparently, the only package that includes the ML system adds another $5K of other addons I don't really care about.

I can get an IS-350 F Sport for $48K, but getting the ML system ends up putting it around $55K with all the other upgrades.
This drives me crazy although it's basic pricing strategy. Ideally, you would be able to get the Levinson system without having to get the several thousand-dollar nav/OS along with it.

None of that crap is relevant anymore. Let me plug my phone in and use that OS and let me buy the premium sound and go along my way.
Lathspell
AG
Yeah, apparently Lexus stopped allowing you to custom order during COVID, and now they basically just run 3-4 select trim options.

Very annoying, but really I don't mind all the extras. I'm just being a cheap ass because going from no car note to a car note over $900 a month just hurts to think about.
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah, apparently Lexus stopped allowing you to custom order during COVID, and now they basically just run 3-4 select trim options.

Very annoying, but really I don't mind all the extras. I'm just being a cheap ass because going from no car note to a car note over $900 a month just hurts to think about.
I hear ya. Yes, I've noticed on some other vehicles that automakers are reducing the number of trim options. That actually doesn't bother me all that much because it becomes a little confusing on what you are getting with so many trim levels.

I just wish there was a trim where you could get premium audio without the rest of the computer but with ability to just leverage my phone OS for maps and music. That's the trim I want.

Oh, and quit downgrading engines, but that's political.
Absolute
AG
Have a q50s. I really like it. Ton of power, nice ride
If you want ridiculous power upgrade to the red sport (wife has the q60 red sport)

I have had great luck with my infinitis. Never had any major problems.

Found they are noticeably less expensive than Lexus. I think better bang for the buck all around.
Lathspell
AG
Aaaaaaaand, done:

IS 350 F Sport with basically every optional package, because that was the only way to get the Mark Levinson sound system. Super happy about the purchase, and they currently had a promo for 3.99% on a 60-month finance. Did 0 down because my HYS is getting around 5.5% right now, so it's basically a wash over the next couple years after taxes, and I still have that money for a rainy day.

Granted, that makes for a fairly high monthly payment...
howdyags12!
AG
Great looking ride!!!
HossAg
AG
IS350 has staggered wheels and eats up tires with the inner tire wear issue. Nothing that can be done about it. If you're any kind of spirited driver, expect front tires to last about 15-20K miles at the most. Mine lasted less than that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.