3.5L Catch Can

1,890 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by theJonatron
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which catch can is preferred on the AB? I've got a '21 Expy Ecoboost and a '23 F-150 Powerboost. I'm assuming the same or similar p/n will fit both.

Any reasons not to do a catch can?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Curious. Why do you want to do a catch can?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Basic premise, crankcase pressure vents back into the intake, which carries gunk and oil. Higher pressure on turbo'd engines pushes more gunk. The gunk collects on the intake valves. Back in the day, port injection helped clean the intake valves. Newer direct injection is downstream, which doesn't clean the valves, so they build-up and have issues. The catch can collects oil in the vent line between the crankcase and the intake to help keep the valves clean. Back in the oven older days, the crankcase was just vented, but this is an emissions issue now.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying or missing details, but I know a lot of folks have them on this board.
BrazosDog02
AG
On my 6.0 diesel I deleted the PCV CCV system and ran a hose back behind the passenger door. It just drops right there. No can needed. If you're going to do it, I'd do that or not at all. A catch can can introduce issues and prentice your crankcase resulting in oil leaks around seals and places it didn't leak before.
AG
mishimoto is nice, but it needs a drain valve. the included drain plug is annoying and I tend to skip checking it
Silvy
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

A catch can can introduce issues and prentice your crankcase resulting in oil leaks around seals and places it didn't leak before.
Not really, a sealed catch can will just give the oil/oil vapor a place to accumulate. It won't increase pressure within the system. A vented catch can will give the oil/oil vapor a place to go and also relieve crankcase pressure.

FWIW my racetruck is vented to atmosphere without a catch can
BrazosDog02
AG
It should be prefaced with leaks are usually a design issue but it will leak if it's not done righ. It's a point of contention on the diesel side. What usually happens is some design or install issue creates a plug, like a slug of oil in a low hung hose, failure to maintain the system, and then your system is closed.

I vent mine to atmosphere with the shortest run possible, just like my 1973 Internstional diesels…..and don't worry.
Roger350
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Back in the day, port injection helped clean the intake valves. Newer direct injection is downstream, which doesn't clean the valves, so they build-up and have issues. The catch can collects oil in the vent line between the crankcase and the intake to help keep the valves clean.

I could be mistaken because I don't own a current generation Boost, but I thought in the Gen 2 Boost they brought back some port injectors to clean the back of valves and ever since it has had a "dual" system with both port and direct injection?

I'm still a proponent of a catch can or venting system to keep that crap out of your intake and intercooler, but I don't think cleaning the back of the valves is as big a concern anymore, although still not a bad reason to keep that crap out of your system.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Yup. All my Ecoboosts have them. Powerboost. expedition, Bronco. Etc

JL is who I run
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Does it? You could be right. I know that's more common than it used to be but I'm not sure about the current 3.5.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Does it? You could be right. I know that's more common than it used to be but I'm not sure about the current 3.5.

It does but doesn't 100% solve the issue.
MouthBQ98
AG
I got a $40 kit off Amazon, and it works fine.

Of note: you have to use stiffened hoses or put spring support inserts in them as standard vacuum hoses will get soft from the heat and easily collapse under vacuum pressure.

The catch can does catch a considerable amount of oily sludge and even a bit of moisture over time. I have to dump it about every 3 weeks.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I got a $40 kit off Amazon, and it works fine.

Of note: you have to use stiffened hoses or put spring support inserts in them as standard vacuum hoses will get soft from the heat and easily collapse under vacuum pressure.

The catch can does catch a considerable amount of oily sludge and even a bit of moisture over time. I have to dump it about every 3 weeks.

Is your intercooler drilled?
fixer
That gunk also lowers octane rating...
Lynch
Which JL do you run 1Ags? Just brought home a new 24 raptor and want to add one. Was going to get the frpp one.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Lynch said:

Which JL do you run 1Ags? Just brought home a new 24 raptor and want to add one. Was going to get the frpp one.

Whatever one the site says. But I think you're using 3015.
BurnetAggie99
Mishimoto Brand is what I've used on every 3.5L I've owned and been a great product
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Mishimoto Brand is what I've used on every 3.5L I've owned and been a great product

I don't think there's a "bad" one out there.
Sea Speed
AG
I out one in my 2013 and forge t to check it something like 90% of the time. Didn't even bother on my wife's 2021.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yep, the little weep hole. Bunch of crud came out when I did it too.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Thanks for all the replies
TikkaShooter
Any problems installing one of these on an EB that previously hasn't had one?

EB w/20,000 miles
Bronco6Gen
Nope, plug n play if you stick with the name brands with specific vehicle fitments. I use Moshimoto and haven't had any issues, albeit they are they are the most expensive.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Any problems installing one of these on an EB that previously hasn't had one?

EB w/20,000 miles

Go for it
theJonatron
AG
I've had a catch can on all my turbo cars and now on my direct injection Camaro 1LE

My mazdaspeed turbo would catch a cup of darkness every 3,000 miles
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.