Best Reliable E-Scooter

2,204 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by zooguy96
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for something that is reliable and climbs hills fairly well, but that doesn't break the bank. $5-700 max.

Distance is not as important. Using to transport myself from parking to work.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Tim Weaver
I have a Ninebot (segway) G30 Max. Works great. Built like a tank. Carries my fat butt around at up to 18ish mph for maybe 10-12 miles depending on the terrain.

The biggest thing is to make sure your tires are aired up. That will kill your speed and range more than anything. I run mine at 50psi.
zooguy96
AG
Thanks for the feedback.
Complete Idiot
I have a Segway MAX G30P , it does it's job great. Up a pretty good grade it drops to 9/10 MPH but I weigh 220 and it's listed weight limit is 220 (at least that's what amazon showed). When my kid was younger and around 70 pounds I'd have him ride on it with me, it took the abuse.

18/19 mph top speed. If you don't need the massive miles range I'd recommend the version with the smaller battery capacity - same quality but easier to lug around, mine weighs 42 pounds.
zooguy96
AG
Yeah, I don't need the distance capacity. Most I'd be doing is 2-3 miles a day (if I wanted to eat lunch across campus or something). Thanks for the feedback.
Complete Idiot
Just don't forget the Rule 1 post once acquired
drumboy
AG
I bought in on the Segway Max IndieGoGo but canceled to get the Fluid Horizon as it had a higher top speed and was available. Busted my a$s the first day case the unfold lock didn't lock correctly and I was kinda scared to ride after that so I sold it and build an ebike.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
zooguy96
AG
drumboy said:

I bought in on the Segway Max IndieGoGo but canceled to get the Fluid Horizon as it had a higher top speed and was available. Busted my a$s the first day case the unfold lock didn't lock correctly and I was kinda scared to ride after that so I sold it and build an ebike.

How did you build an e-bike? Take existing bike and add battery, motor, etc? I have an old mountain bike I never ride (it's in good condition - just sits in the garage) I could do that to (has disc brakes).
easttexasaggie04
AG
Not a scooter but we use this eBike on camping trips with our RV for years and have had really good look with it. Battery lasts forever it seems...

https://lectricebikes.com/products/xp-black
drumboy
AG
zooguy96 said:

drumboy said:

How did you build an e-bike? Take existing bike and add battery, motor, etc? I have an old mountain bike I never ride (it's in good condition - just sits in the garage) I could do that to (has disc brakes).
I was in the same boat with my 20 year old Specialized Rockhopper that I'm kinda attached to and I found that if I build a FrankenBike then I get a lot more range and faster bike. Plus unless you get a baller ebike like a Riesse & Muller then it's going to crappy Chinese components. Top speed is like 38 but I have it limited to 30 and I go 15 miles easily hauling @ss.

Mid Drive kits get you more power while hub kits are cheaper and easier to build; I went with a Bafang BBS HD 1Kw mid drive w/ a 52v 17ah battery that attaches on a magnetic water bottle mount.

Only tool I needed was a bottom bracket tool and a chain breaker to remove my old derailleur.

Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

zooguy96
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Not a scooter but we use this eBike on camping trips with our RV for years and have had really good look with it. Battery lasts forever it seems...

That looks kick ass. I'm considering that one.
zooguy96
AG
drumboy said:

zooguy96 said:

drumboy said:

I was in the same boat with my 20 year old Specialized Rockhopper that I'm kinda attached to and I found that if I build a FrankenBike then I get a lot more range and faster bike. Plus unless you get a baller ebike like a Riesse & Muller then it's going to crappy Chinese components. Top speed is like 38 but I have it limited to 30 and I go 15 miles easily hauling @ss.

Mid Drive kits get you more power while hub kits are cheaper and easier to build; I went with a Bafang BBS HD 1Kw mid drive w/ a 52v 17ah battery that attaches on a magnetic water bottle mount.

Only tool I needed was a bottom bracket tool and a chain breaker to remove my old derailleur.

Thanks. I really wanted to build a Frankenbike like that to minimize cost - and, this is not exactly something I need. More of a want to get across campus more quickly if needed.

This is the bike I was going to do it to - old GT.

Complete Idiot
I'm tempted to post a photo of my 1995 Cannondale Killer V bought in my last year at A&M and which I still have in the attic
zooguy96
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I'm tempted to post a photo of my 1995 Cannondale Killer V bought in my last year at A&M and which I still have in the attic

I know, I had a purple GT I bought the summer before my last full year at A&M. Cost me $400 - about a whole month's salary at the time. I thought I was the stuff.
drumboy
AG
Complete Idiot said:

You won't save money on cost when you can get bikes like the one above for $1,000. The BBSHD is $680 and the battery will likely be over $500, but the parts are all interchangable if you want to put them on another bike and trouble shooting is easier since nothing is proprietary.

eBikes definitely go on sale more than when I built mine 4 years ago.

I got this RockHopper in CS in 2021with my first tax return; I think it was $550 discounted from $750.

zooguy96
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

How is this one when folding up - or weight. I have a Mustang OR Titan with which I'd transport the bike to campus. Obviously, the Titan wouldn't be an issue. I kind of want something that fits inside the trunk of the Mustang - but, I could always get a bike rack.
easttexasaggie04
AG
The Mustang would be tricky. It folds up fairly easily but isn't light. I put it in the back of my truck often. It's been a tank....I have a little seat on the back and haul my kids around on it.
zooguy96
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

The Mustang would be tricky. It folds up fairly easily but isn't light. I put it in the back of my truck often. It's been a tank....I have a little seat on the back and haul my kids around on it.

Ok, thanks. I guess I could always get a bike carrier.
Tim Weaver
drumboy said:

Scooters take some getting used to for us olds. I admit to going a$$-over-teakettle on mine shortly after I got it too.

The big thing to note about scooters are that you can't really ride them one-handed. So there's no holding a sack of lunch, no answering your phone, heck you can't even scratch your nose without almost crashing.

Any weight you have on the handlebars (sack of groceries, etc) is makes it handle really weird. So carrying stuff is best done in a backpack.

Once you get used to it, it's not that bad.

I got mine broken for 50 bucks, then fixed it for 100. I use it when we go racing/track days, and for certain times at work ( I work at a church). Other than that it doesn't get used much. I don't go shopping on it or commute or anything. To me the form factor, being able to fold it up and carry it even in a compact car is worth it over an Ebike, but if I were commuting I would prefer an ebike over this.
Centerpole90
AG
One Wheel.

Post video.

* I post this in jest - with the admission, if I wasn't afraid of paralysis and had a place to enjoy it…. I'd love to be able to ride a One Wheel.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I would have liked to see someone get a full sized bicycle into the attic. Bet there was a fair bit of cussing, some sheetrock dings and a skinned knuckle or two.
drumboy
AG
Tim Weaver said:

drumboy said:

Scooters take some getting used to for us olds. I admit to going a$$-over-teakettle on mine shortly after I got it too.

The big thing to note about scooters are that you can't really ride them one-handed. So there's no holding a sack of lunch, no answering your phone, heck you can't even scratch your nose without almost crashing.

Any weight you have on the handlebars (sack of groceries, etc) is makes it handle really weird. So carrying stuff is best done in a backpack.

I got mine broken for 50 bucks, then fixed it for 100. I use it when we go racing/track days, and for certain times at work ( I work at a church). Other than that it doesn't get used much. I don't go shopping on it or commute or anything. To me the form factor, being able to fold it up and carry it even in a compact car is worth it over an Ebike, but if I were commuting I would prefer an ebike over this.

True on the one hand danger. First time riding was after brewery hopping in Denver and I almost crashed doing something dumb.

When I crashed mine, I also shattered my one day old Apple Watch.

I saw this sale if you want a legit mtn ebike
https://slickdeals.net/f/17637720-2023-specialized-turbo-tero-3-0-mountain-ebike-1799-99-200-shipping-tax-if-applicable-1799-99
easttexasaggie04
AG
I have a OneWheel and love it. Take it everywhere!
Tim Weaver
drumboy said:

Tim Weaver said:

drumboy said:

True on the one hand danger. First time riding was after brewery hopping in Denver and I almost crashed doing something dumb.

When I crashed mine, I also shattered my one day old Apple Watch.

I saw this sale if you want a legit mtn ebike
https://slickdeals.net/f/17637720-2023-specialized-turbo-tero-3-0-mountain-ebike-1799-99-200-shipping-tax-if-applicable-1799-99

Thats a pretty smokin deal, but only in L and XL frame sizes. I'm tempted to get an XL and sell my scooter and some other stuff! lol
Tim Weaver
Looks like that bike was 2600 when it originally went on sale in the US.
robertcope
If you're in B/CS, give Scoots a call https://aggielandscoots.com/product-category/ebikes-scooters-gluten-free/
zooguy96
AG
robertcope said:

If you're in B/CS, give Scoots a call https://aggielandscoots.com/product-category/ebikes-scooters-gluten-free/

I'm in East Tennessee.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.