***** The mileage thread *****

4,579 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by CanyonAg77
TSW2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Complete Idiot said:

TSW2012 said:

2020 Silverado HD Gas 4x4 about 160k got the itch for something new but hard to pull the trigger on a paid off truck that works

2022 Subaru Outback 90k

My mom has a 2012 MDX she just crossed 20k

FIL has a 02 Trans Am WS6 that he bought new and it lived in a bubble for 20 years, just broke it out this year to start driving has less than 5k miles

That's a lot of miles on a 2020 and a 2022, all miles yours? May I ask how - part of job, long commute, road trips?

Yeah all mine and the wife's mileage.

We live in Splendora. My office is in Humble and I have properties in Galveston. My we also go to Houma LA about once a month.
Rexter
Work beater '03 Poncho purchased 06/19 at 147k... clipped 455K today.
Bones97
AG
2015, about 15k miles
Aggie Dad 26
TSW2012 said:

Complete Idiot said:

TSW2012 said:

2020 Silverado HD Gas 4x4 about 160k got the itch for something new but hard to pull the trigger on a paid off truck that works

2022 Subaru Outback 90k

FIL has a 02 Trans Am WS6 that he bought new and it lived in a bubble for 20 years, just broke it out this year to start driving has less than 5k miles

That's a lot of miles on a 2020 and a 2022, all miles yours? May I ask how - part of job, long commute, road trips?

We live in Splendora. My office is in Humble and I have properties in Galveston. My we also go to Houma LA about once a month.
on purpose?
TSW2012
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

TSW2012 said:

Complete Idiot said:

TSW2012 said:

2022 Subaru Outback 90k

on purpose?

Lol.
coolerguy12
AG
2007 Tundra 254,000 with nothing but basic maintenance since I bought it with 84,000 on it.

Currently in northern CO on vacation pulling our camper the whole way from Conroe like a champ.

Camper is a 1966 Avion that we dug out of the woods in east Texas in 2020 and completely rebuilt.
aggiechugger
AG
2012 F150 5.0 4x4 currently at 132k. Only thing I have done to it other than normal oil changes and such is a new serpentine belt at 120k. Still runs like a champ. With truck prices what they are I don't have any plans on trading for new anytime soon. Since I only put about 11k miles a year on it (short commute) I could get over 6 more years out of it before it hits 200k. I am thinking of doing some upgrades to it to give it a refresh like Apple Car Play head unit and possibly Katzskin leather seat covers.

Flaith
AG
Home Depot and scrap metal truck, 2008 F-150 SXT with 4.6L - 190,000 miles
My DD, 2008 VW Jetta GLI - 144,000 miles
Wife's, 2018 Nissan Pathfinder - 63,000 miles

Jetta is real close to needing a new clutch, and I probably need to replace the front struts/tower bushings soon thanks to Houston roads abusing them. Burns some oil (~1qt/2000 miles), so I would imagine the K03 turbo is also eventually on the list for replacement as well.

Ford truck has a really bad PS pressure line leak, and is due for some front end overhaul work, but otherwise it's solid as a rock.

Pathfinder has been a wonderful appliance. CVT service at 60k, and the brakes are way undersized for the size of the vehicle, but otherwise it's been a great family car.
Complete Idiot
coolerguy12 said:

2007 Tundra 254,000 with nothing but basic maintenance since I bought it with 84,000 on it.

Currently in northern CO on vacation pulling our camper the whole way from Conroe like a champ.

Camper is a 1966 Avion that we dug out of the woods in east Texas in 2020 and completely rebuilt.
I love all that.

Basically your username checks out. Photos of Avion in original woods state welcomed.
Complete Idiot
Thanks for the reply - that's a lot of miles! I love driving but my work commute is short and relatives are all flight distances away (we've driven before, but not for a while). Other than Aggie sports and occasional vacation road trips I just don't rack up many miles.
coolerguy12
AG
Don't have any pictures from when we got it but here is the build thread

[url] https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3097137/1#discussion[/url]
Complete Idiot
coolerguy12 said:

Don't have any pictures from when we got it but here is the build thread

thanks!

Amazing length of ownership by original owners.

Wasn't in that bad of condition given the age and 6 years of woods life. Able to roll it away, pretty good.

Your restoration is looking great - amazing. Enjoy.

MouthBQ98
AG
My kind of thread…

2004 suburban 390,000
2017 Expedition EL 316,000
2000 Nissan Xterra 278,000
2009 Honda Fit 226,000

All original drivetrains.
KaneIsAble
big ben
AG
What happened to long bed silvy you had?
TSUAggie
2015 F-150 with the 5.0 sitting at 252k and still going. Basic fluid and filter changes, tires, water pump and a coolant hose o-ring are the only things I've replaced.
austinag1997
AG
Roger350 said:

2007 Tahoe LS 4x4 I bought new in Nov '06, sits at 233k and I'm hoping to push it over 300k. This is my first over 200k but before that I routinely pushed my vehicles to about 175k before ditching them including 1990 and 2001 Chevy pickups and a 2007 Impala.

On the other end of the spectrum I have a 2011 Mitsubishi EVO that is a track toy I bought new in May 2012 that has about 25k miles on it now, more than half of those coming on track weekends...I spend more time working on it than driving it, but it is dead reliable, just lots of pre-track maintenance and modifications. Oil and brake fluid never gets more than about 1k miles on it before being changed.

That Tahoe at 233k. Had an 07 Suburban at about those miles. Unload it. I replaced an engine and that was wasted money. The maintenance costs escalated.
austinag1997
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

My kind of thread…

2004 suburban 390,000
2017 Expedition EL 316,000
2000 Nissan Xterra 278,000
2009 Honda Fit 226,000

All original drivetrains.

Wow! Not surprised at the Nissan and Honda. The Suburban and Expedition... would be keenly interested in your maintenance regime. I have pretty much gone European. 3 Porsches and a Mercedes AMG SUV now. I pay to maintain them. The 2007 Suburban 4x4 Z71. Had bad luck with.
Roger350
AG
For better or worse I'm keeping it. I do all the work on it myself. If the engine or trans burns up now I'll probably park it in the grass and think about it for a year before I dump any money or effort into it, but being 4x4 it would be a good foundation for an LS Swap, although I have always had a thing for Big Blocks, so an 8.1 swap might win out, even though I know going 8.1 is more money and effort per HP and Lb-Ft than a mild LS.

There is somethings to be said about driving and maintaining a vehicle with your own sweat and blood for more than 17 years. It is currently my DD, and I still like driving it.

Call me crazy...
MouthBQ98
AG
Red light camera. I knew it was there, so I stopped on a stale yellow that would go red at the last second. The 18 wheeler driver thst had got in the left lane behind me wasn't able to do so. I got hit hard enough to knock me through the intersection from a standstill and smash the radiator on the big truck. Insurance totaled it. Used the cash to buy the Honda, since I was commuting 45 miles twice daily.
Aggie Dad 26
austinag1997 said:

Roger350 said:

2007 Tahoe LS 4x4 I bought new in Nov '06, sits at 233k and I'm hoping to push it over 300k. This is my first over 200k but before that I routinely pushed my vehicles to about 175k before ditching them including 1990 and 2001 Chevy pickups and a 2007 Impala.

On the other end of the spectrum I have a 2011 Mitsubishi EVO that is a track toy I bought new in May 2012 that has about 25k miles on it now, more than half of those coming on track weekends...I spend more time working on it than driving it, but it is dead reliable, just lots of pre-track maintenance and modifications. Oil and brake fluid never gets more than about 1k miles on it before being changed.

That Tahoe at 233k. Had an 07 Suburban at about those miles. Unload it. I replaced an engine and that was wasted money. The maintenance costs escalated.

When? LS motors and parts are abundant and relatively cheap
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't do an 8.1 swap

I had one in a 2002 2500HD crew cab Sierra with Allison 5 speed, 2WD, and 4.11 gears. If you went easy on it, unloaded, you might break 11mpg. Put an RV behind it and expect a 125 mile range on a 25 gallon tank

I traded for a 4wd diesel

I loved the engine in a lot of ways. I could tow about 75% of what a diesel could, and I could pass anything on the road except a gas station

But it is not a Vortec or LS. The internals can't tolerate much added HP, and speed equipment is very limited
Retired Principal
AG
Have an 11 year old 1794 Tundra with 151,000. I am the original owner. Not car or truck shopping anytime soon.

Roger350
AG
Yeah, I know my infatuation with the 8.1 is just because it is the last of Big Block Chevys, and it would complicate and drive a ton more decisions. Realistically, a 6.0 or 6.2 would be a much easier and cheaper proposition. But honestly, I'll ride this 5.3 as long it will keep running, and hope I never have to do any swap. With the age and mileage on the truck now, it is certainly not a wise financial decision to dump real money into it when it is not needed. Every time I fill it with gas it's value goes up 15%.
Roger350
AG
I special ordered my 2001 2500HD but couldn't afford the Duramax and figured the 8.1 would eat me alive on gas bills so I went with the 6.0. With 4wd, the 6.0 forced the 4.10 rear end, so I always suspected if I had upgraded to the 8.1 / Allison with the 3.73 I might have gotten better mpg, but not enough to offset the purchase price and I didn't really need it for my duty cycle. But ever since I have thought of the 8.1 as the engine that got away...
CanyonAg77
AG
I think a 6.0 will drop right into the 5.3 hole. I don't think the 8.1 is that straight forward

I did see a guy drop an 8.1 and Allison into a 1953 two ton truck. Seemed like fun, but the gas mileage is always the problem
MR Gadsden
Took this in my 2021 Yukon the other day.
CanyonAg77
AG
All I can say is "Whoop!"
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.