Ever been happy to have to take your vehicle to the shop?

1,499 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Complete Idiot
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a 2017 Infiniti Q50. Really love the car. Despite being over 7 years it is in great shape and still looks great. Tons of fun to drive. Hardly had any problems with it as it approaches 100k miles.

This year I have had some issues with bent rims causing annoying vibrations and ended up buying new wheels. The Discount tire kids were really excited for me. Me not so much. Also had a few other check engine lights that led to it going in for warranty work. Warranty goes through Feb2025 since it was a CPO.

Ideally wanted to keep it longer term or give it to the college kid to upgrade her ride a few years and 50k miles.

Last time it was in for work at Sewell, I asked my service guy, whom I trust, what are the biggest concerns for this car over 100k and out of warranty. The G37 the college kid inherited is basically bulletproof drivetrainwise. Was this one similar? He said the biggest concern would be the turbos. That if they go it is a 8 to 10k repair (yes I understand that is a dealer price, but it would still be really pricy) on a car that is worth about that much. Looked up what was involved with the repair and it is insane. They have to drop the whole engine to get to them. After that conversation I started to rethink the idea of keeping it longer term.

Monday the check engine light came on along with some icons that seemed to indicate proximity sensor problems. The icons went away, but the check engine light stayed. So I took it in Tuesday.

Heard back yesterday that the turbos had oil in them and were being replaced!!!!

Don't think I have ever been that happy about a repair diagnosis! All the more because I thought it was in for some sort of electrical sensor issue.

Now I might just rethink my rethinking about keeping it and/or giving it to the college kid.
MouthBQ98
AG
So , basically, an expensive repair occurred just inside the warranty coverage? Nice…
Buck Turgidson
Might as well hang onto it now. I'd guess the resale value is not that high by now. The car might be worth more to you than you could get from another buyer.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I was over the moon when I dropped my Tundra off at the shop to have the supercharger installed

When I was 18 and S10 threw a rod I was pretty happy, even though I was several miles outside of town and would be walking back during the middle of the summer.

I didn't know what was wrong as it happened, but knew enough from the sound coming from the hood that I could finally get rid of it.
mefoghorn
AG
I always seem to get satisfaction over getting a new set of tires. I may be looking for the validation of all the research I put into the shopping. Anyone else?
Absolute
AG
I like that one too. Though it always hurts the wallet.

This one just felt like a win with the warranty and the car in general. I generally feel like the warranties pay off on the CPOs we buy. But typically a lot closer to a wash. Coming out way ahead this time.
HumbleAg04
AG
1985 CJ-7. Taking it to shop to swap the POS 2.5L for a Chevy 350… great day.
ac04
yes, any time i'm taking it in for something fun. most recent was eibach lowering springs and adjustable rear control arms. that was a good day.
TxSquarebody
83 C-10...had just replaced upper and lower control arms with tubular units and took it to the alignment shop. No longer handles like a truck!
OregonAggie
AG
My kid's 2012 Hyundai had leaking valve cover gaskets which led to alternator problems. I replaced the front VC gasket and also the alternator 3x in a 6 week period. Replaced the battery 2x too because they actually died due to the alternator failing (this has never happened to me but apparently can happen).

The service guy told me that, while I replaced the alternator just fine, aftermarket alternators just simply fail on these cars and I needed a factory one. I looked at him like he was trying to steal money from me.

Bottom line, they replaced both valve cover gaskets, replaced the alternator, threw in a new belt for free, and I left paying nothing. Hyundai just covered it all and this car is 12 years old. You bet your ass I was happy!
Complete Idiot
I had a friend that got a new transmission at like 99.5K miles when his warranty ended at 100K. It's basically like hitting the lottery.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.