How long does your battery last?

3,347 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by Drewmeister
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What brand of battery do you use?

How long does it last?

Just replaced a NAPA battery after 25 months. Had a 24 month warranty.

Had another NAPA battery fail with similar numbers on another vehicle recently.

Similar situation on the boat. Time to find a new supplier. Give me some ideas.
Bobcat-Ag
I have been pleased with the Everstart Maxx batteries from Walmart. They have a 3 yr warranty and have lasted more than 3 years on the last 2 batteries I have replaced.
JamesPShelley
Been running the same Bosch in my 986 since I purchased it in 2017. It has a 2016 date stamp.
fixer
I don't trust any battery past 3 years ( outside of the boutique brands like Odesst and north star).
Howdy Dammit
AG
Everstart from wallmart. I get at least 4 years. Sometimes 5
agnerd
AG
Walmart battery. Each one has gone out in year 6 or 7.
HollywoodBQ
AG
When I lived in Australia, I was lucky if I could get 2 years out of a battery. The batteries in the US are much higher quality.

My question is - when did batteries jump from $60 to $200? And why do batteries for a BMW cost $400?
BrazosDog02
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Been running the same Bosch in my 986 since I purchased it in 2017. It has a 2016 date stamp.

Those are made by BarnesMF, Inc. hardest working batteries in the automotive industry.
Mas89
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

I have been pleased with the Everstart Maxx batteries from Walmart. They have a 3 yr warranty and have lasted more than 3 years on the last 2 batteries I have replaced.
This. Not uncommon for them to last 4 to 5 years.
OregonAggie
AG
I'm going to try an Everstart next time I need to replace one. I had an oreilly in my hometown so I just bought Super Start batteries with 3 year warranties…they always go out around month 37 hahaha. I have just assumed that this is normal.
agdaddy04
AG
Going from lead acid to deep cycle batteries. The electrical system in cars today is a little different than it was 10-15 years ago.
austinag1997
AG
JamesPShelley said:

That one is easy to change though. Have to remove the driver seat in my Cayenne to access the battery. I have a 986 also.
MouthBQ98
AG
Sometimes 2 years, sometimes 6 years. Never know.
big ben
AG
Just changed one installed in 2016 a month ago, duralast something in my silvy
Bigballin
AG
I have decent luck with neverstart max from wally world. Got a solid 4.5 years out of one in my yukon. It was just out of warranty i believe
AGPop
S
Walmart battery with 4 year warranty. The warrenty is tracked by the battery serial number so you do not need to keep track of paperwork. And you are never far from a Walmart if you have a problem
EskimoJoe
Got 9.5 years out of a pair of Walmart batteries in the Duramax. Replaced a 5 year old Walmart battery in the 4 wheeler yesterday. The 4 wheeler serves as my spray rig and the draw of the electric pumps are hard on the small atv batteries.
JamesPShelley
austinag1997 said:

JamesPShelley said:

That one is easy to change though. Have to remove the driver seat in my Cayenne to access the battery. I have a 986 also.
Nice! That battery is heavy lifting from that position. An E30 I owned had the battery under the rear passenger seat. Removing a Cayenne seat, ughhh.

Are you on 986 forum dot com?
AggieDruggist89
AG
I remember my 1993 BMW battery lasting 7 years.

But today, I'm happy with 3 years.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
fixer said:

I don't trust any battery past 3 years ( outside of the boutique brands like Odesst and north star).

This

Also, cars that are driven short distances or less than once a week should be on a maintainer.

Our 23 Tahoe only gets driven to school pickup and sports practice and started cranking slower. Battery tested good just needed to be recharged. Now it gets put on a charger on Friday nights for a top off.
SnowboardAg
AG
Just put the everstart maxx in my Tahoe so will be interested to see the duration. Replaced an AC Delco that had right at 56 months. Honestly happy with anything more than 36 months
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you drive it less often, or do tons of city/idling, a battery Tender of Some sort will ensure it lasts much longer. Topping off on weekends will help.
austinag1997
AG
Just changed the battery in a 2016 Cayenne. It was the original battery from 2016. So, roughly 8 years.
permabull
AG
I have been running Walmart batteries ever since I started driving and had good luck with them. I think their quality is getting better b/c I used to get a free one with their warranty and now they seem to last the 5 years they claim they will.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Costco Interstates here for me.

Nothing wrong with Walmart. Also all their flooded lead acid batteries are the same. You're really only paying for more warranty.
theJonatron
AG
I just replaced my Ford F150 '19 battery recently. It was the original and I had over 85K miles.
Dr. Nefario
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Costco Interstates here for me.

Nothing wrong with Walmart. Also all their flooded lead acid batteries are the same. You're really only paying for more warranty.

That's not true, at least not anymore. The Everstart Value batteries are significantly lighter and have lower CCAs than Everstart Maxx batteries of the same group size. Not sure about Everstart Plus, they may be the same as Maxx with a shorter warranty, but the Value batteries are definitely different.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Really?

Hmm. I've been buying tons of the H6 batteries. I'll have to have another look.

Johnson Controls is still the private llabeler.
Drewmeister
AG
Bought a Group 65 battery recently, and the Everstart Plus and Maxx looked identical aside from the labeling. The Everstart Value was an entirely different case mold.

There were all rated at different CCA (650/750/850 IIRC) and warranty length but it wouldn't surprise me if the Plus/Maxx were actually 100% the same. Value was clearly different.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.