Powerboost oil change frequency?

982 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MouthBQ98
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The oil change light on my 23 powerboost doesn't come on for a long time. With it being a hybrid, does it not have to be changed as often due to the electric motor powering the truck part of the time?

I had it changed once already but I'm up near 20k miles and the oil life still says 30%

Should I be doing it more often than the light indicates? What should I base the frequency on?

Thanks for your input
Corps_Ag12
AG
I would check your owners manual but it may say "when the truck tells you to"
Roger350
AG
I change the oil in my PHEV Pacifica at around 5k driven miles with a high quality synthetic that meets the Mopar specs and I use amsoil cartridge filters. Typically at this interval the idiot light says there is 60% oil life left. At 5k miles driven, if I want to believe the dashboard display I have probably only used the ICE about 2k miles of that, and I know this is overkill, but it costs about $50 in parts and is a 45 minute job in my garage.

Your Powerboost uses the ICE much more than my vehicle, and it has turbos and the infamous cam phasers. I would change it every 3k miles with high quality synthetic meeting the Motorcraft specs due to the turbos alone. No way I'd go more than 5k on an oil change on that truck.

But it is obvious my opinion on maintenance is on the extreme end of the spectrum, I'm sure there is a happy medium somewhere, but 10k is too long an interval if you are planning on keeping this truck outside of the warranty period.
danieljustin06
AG
I have a powerboost and I change it every 5k since it's still the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. The oil life light will come on around 9-10k but every 5k allows the engine to last a lot longer. This is coming from several Ford techs at my hometown dealership.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm just a simple man but I would not trust what the truck tells you. I change mine, albeit regular 3.5 boost not powerboost, every 6-7.5k
Stat Monitor Repairman

One of the best automotive channels on Youtube and may be one of the most knowledgable engine guys on youtube for that matter. He's run a shop and machine shop or 30+ years.

Will tear down a lot of engines and show you what the problem is. A lot of diesel issues. And also a lot of crap work done by other shops where people end up taking it to him to fix it right.

He's constantly ranting about oil change intervals, and also how much emissions and EGR destroys engines.

I think the answer is 5k max on modern engines regardless of what the manufacturers or anyone says. Seems like cheap insurance agains premature failure.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Same PB owner. Every 5k for me
MouthBQ98
AG
FWIW:
I've got a 2017 Expy 3.5 and I change it per the vehicle's computer indicator. 315,000 miles and it runs great. No oil related issues at all. Oil is dark but clean every time I change it. I use quality oil and a good filter.

The computer based change intervals are engineered to be pretty accurate for the oil type and quality the engine is designed for, provided you drive within a relatively normal range of operating conditions. If you drive a lot in heavy traffic or drive like a lunatic revving the engine into high rpm ranges under load all the time, you will have to shorten the interval of changes but if you just pile on easy highway miles and sedate accelerations, the computer recommended interval seems to be plenty for quality oil and filters.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.