New Ford Diesels and CP4?

1,560 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by JB
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After many years of looking, I have about given up on finding a nice 1996-2007 Ford F350 Long Bed Crew Cab.

My question is, is there a way to prevent the new 6.7 Ford CP4 from creating a catastrophe? Can I safely buy an F350/450 with everything I need in a truck and feel confident its not going to **** the bed in 4,000 miles? 15,000 mile? 400,000 miles?

Do the 'CP4 disaster kits' prevent them from failing or just prevent catastrophic damage when it fails? How well do they work? Is it legit? If so, why isn't it on the truck from the factory? I'm a 7.3 and 6.0 Diesel guy, I love them, but the new trucks are out of my area of knowledge.
coolerguy12
AG
Disaster prevention kit just prevents the metal shards of a failed pump from getting into the fuel system. I believe there is now an aftermarket pump you can install that eliminates the risk of pump failure.

*I don't own a 6.7 but I'm casually in the market for one and get a lot of info from a buddy that owns one that's about to hit 300K.
StockHorseAg
AG
As long as you are putting diesel in your pickup that is from high traffic gas stations and regularly change your fuel filters then you really shouldn't have to worry about the CP4. The CP4 going out isn't as common as facebook makes it seem. If you are truly worried about it, skip the disaster prevention kit and get either the CP4x or the DCR pump.

The problem with modern diesels aren't the engines themselves but they way they are used. Guys used to be happy just buying a half ton to fulfill their pick up itch but now everyone wants to get a 3/4ton diesel. Modern diesels nor really any diesel engine are designed to be grocery getters (except TDIs maybe) where you crank the pick-up, drive 2 miles, turn it off, just to redo the process on the way home. A prime example of this is in the 2 years I had my ram 2500 before going to college where I was constantly pulling horse trailers and equipment with it, it never went into a regen cycle where it alerted me that it was cleaning the DPF. During my first semester, it told me my DPF was full and went into regen 3 times.

Diesel engines need to be worked and get up to operating temps on the highway regularly in order to clean out the DPF and other engine components. The CP4 is pretty much an engine in of it's self in my opinion, it's two pistons in cylinders compressing the fuel like an air compressor. Now this is just me speculating but if that doesn't get up to temp regularly then it is hell on the seals and it's equivalent of piston rings. Machines like to be ran, If you are just farting around the suburbs in your diesel 3/4ton with no hitch in the bed and a B&W in bumper hitch with out a sign of use on it, then you are just asking to have problems with your engine.

Sorry, Rant over.
HumbleAg04
AG
Buy diesel from a gas station that moves volume. Use a lubricity additive. Replace it with CP3 (what Ram recall did). Kits just add a filter to catch the metal when the CP4 blows so it doesn't destroy the engine also.

The issue is the pump lubricates itself with the fuel it's pumping and Bosch being an EU company designed it for EN590 spec diesel. US lubricity specification via HFRR is 520 microns and EN590 is 460. Even "good" diesel in the states creates more wear and friction than what the CP4 was designed for.
JB
AG
StockHorseAg said:

The problem with modern diesels aren't the engines themselves but they way they are used. Guys used to be happy just buying a half ton to fulfill their pick up itch but now everyone wants to get a 3/4ton diesel. Modern diesels nor really any diesel engine are designed to be grocery getters (except TDIs maybe) where you crank the pick-up, drive 2 miles, turn it off, just to redo the process on the way home. A prime example of this is in the 2 years I had my ram 2500 before going to college where I was constantly pulling horse trailers and equipment with it, it never went into a regen cycle where it alerted me that it was cleaning the DPF. During my first semester, it told me my DPF was full and went into regen 3 times.

Sorry, Rant over.
Same exact story here. We lived fulltime traveling the country pulling a 5th wheel around from 19-21. Never had an issue. Now the truck sits, only driven occasionally and I get way more regen stuff popping up. Nothing that has ever left me stranded, but still, its obvious these trucks need to be used and beat on regularly.

I have the disaster prevention kit on mine and it does just what was mentioned above. It stops everything from entering the fuel system. I think you would still have to drop and clean the tank if the pump blows up.
JB
AG
I also agree that while the CP4 isn't great, I think the failure rate is exaggerated.

Anecdotally, I know 3-4 of these 6.7, that get used as intended, with over 300k and doing great.
BrazosDog02
AG
I use our diesels for towing only pretty much and almost all trips are over an hour. i don't drive them unless i have a reason to. I agree they like to be worked.

I almost bought a 6.0 from a guy, he said it was fully bulletproof and all original. He couldn't explain why the EGR hose was still connected or why the tailgate badge was not correct for the model year. Also had 140k miles, FOUR owners and originally shipped to Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and finally Texas. I don't even know how that pedigree comes about but it's a bit much for my taste even if the truck was perfect condition otherwise. Lots of owners….and lots of unknowns. Just tired of the rat race with people that don't know what they are selling. The worst part is that I'm intimately familiar with these motors and if someone can't produce 15,000 bucks of receipts on a supposed bulletproof engine with upgrades, then I'm not getting excited over it.

I like my trucks a bit older if I'm being honest and I love the 6.0 and prefer it to the 7.3, but the new ones will yanks my trailers around like it's nothing and there's a lot to be said for that too.
JB
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

After many years of looking, I have about given up on finding a nice 1996-2007 Ford F350 Long Bed Crew Cab.

My question is, is there a way to prevent the new 6.7 Ford CP4 from creating a catastrophe? Can I safely buy an F350/450 with everything I need in a truck and feel confident its not going to **** the bed in 4,000 miles? 15,000 mile? 400,000 miles?

Do the 'CP4 disaster kits' prevent them from failing or just prevent catastrophic damage when it fails? How well do they work? Is it legit? If so, why isn't it on the truck from the factory? I'm a 7.3 and 6.0 Diesel guy, I love them, but the new trucks are out of my area of knowledge.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-ford-f-350-23/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_2648450
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.