Ramps for working on truck

1,881 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by austinag1997
George08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been using a set of rhino ramps from OReilly for a few years but today I went up off center and cracked both my ramps. I know- user error, but still a little scary how they cracked (chunk of plastic broke off side wall on both ramps. I'd like to replace them with something better if there is anything within reason. Use is half ton pick up, mostly for oil changes.

What do y'all recommend?
GrapevineAg
AG
Quality jack stands with a capacity much more than your vehicle weight.
CanyonAg77
AG
Jack stands plus a good floor jack of at least 3 tons capacity. Crawling under several tons of vehicle is no place to go cheap
robertcope
I use Rhino Ramps for my truck when they make sense and Esco 3-ton jack stands when they make sense: https://esco.net/product/3-ton-performance-jack-stand-pair/
Roger350
AG
Which version of the Rhino Ramps did this happen on? Got any pictures to share so we can see the weak spots to keep an eye on. I think the ones I just bought second hand are rated for 16k lbs, which seems insane. But I over bought and the heaviest thing they will ever see is my Tahoe and Pacific.

I also have a set of 4 of those Esso 3-ton jack stands, a set of the 7000 lbs quick jacks, and at the moment only 2 floor jacks because I just discarded a 3-ton Sam's special I had since 1990 that was my 3rd I used as a backup.

Looking for a decent replacement jack too, maybe I have a problem...
austinag1997
AG
GrapevineAg said:

That isn't a good idea. Without appropriate weight on jackstands they can potentially disengage.
CanyonAg77
AG
austinag1997 said:

GrapevineAg said:

That isn't a good idea. Without appropriate weight on jackstands they can potentially disengage.

Please explain. The ones I use won't disengage with any amount of weight
Flaith
AG
Working in a non-level driveway, ramps are really the ideal way to elevate a vehicle for oil changes and other below-engine work.

I use Rhino ramps for my car and wife's SUV. If I were regularly using them for anything heavier like a Tahoe or truck, I would purchase steel ramps
austinag1997
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

austinag1997 said:

GrapevineAg said:

I am referring only to the ratcheting style of jackstand (not the pin type). The theory is if you don't apply enough weight on the jackstand, there is not enough weight on the ratchet to keep it engaged safely. I watched a safety demonstration years ago to determine if the ratchet could be triggered to failure on a jackstand and the only failure occured with a small amount of weight on the jackstand with only a slight nudge. Think of your foot barely touching a jackstand as you are working.

In any event, I keep a hydraulic jack under the vehicle as a failsafe.
Tim Weaver
austinag1997 said:

GrapevineAg said:

This just isn't true.
Tim Weaver
I have a pair of the ubiquitous orange stamped metal ramps from way back when Sears was still the go-to for things like this.

I've parked my Excursion (7000 pounds) on them and my Wife's 1/2 ton Silverado on them with no problems.
GrapevineAg
AG
austinag1997 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

austinag1997 said:

GrapevineAg said:

I am referring only to the ratcheting style of jackstand (not the pin type). The theory is if you don't apply enough weight on the jackstand, there is not enough weight on the ratchet to keep it engaged safely. I watched a safety demonstration years ago to determine if the ratchet could be triggered to failure on a jackstand and the only failure occured with a small amount of weight on the jackstand with only a slight nudge. Think of your foot barely touching a jackstand as you are working.

In any event, I keep a hydraulic jack under the vehicle as a failsafe.
I keep a hydraulic jack in place, and any removed wheels/tires under the frame.
GrapevineAg
AG
austinag1997 said:

GrapevineAg said:

What is appropriate weight? If I put a 2-ton car on 4 jack stands rated at 2 tons each, are you saying they'll (potentially) disengage? I find that very hard to believe, but I'll change my mind if I see evidence to the contrary. FWIW, when my old Mustang is up in the air, I usually have 6 stands (2 as a safety), a jack, and any removed tires under it. That is not how I want to leave this world.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think your concern is misplaced. No one is putting one or two pounds on the stand then kicking the lever.

I'm also like others, I put it on jack stands, but will keep the jack under it and block up other ways as well

I hate ramps, they seem so cheap and flimsy, and I've never found one that will stay in place while I drive up it.
Tim Weaver
Its a vague hand-wavey alarmist rumor that is circulating now because of Harbor Freights issues with their jackstands.

HF wore out their molds for casting the ratchets on their jack stands. Those DEFECTIVE stands could be released even when there was weight on them. This was dangerous, and not the way the stands should work.

A properly made jackstand will not release when there is weight on it. Even a small amount of weight, like a couple hundred pounds is enough to lock it into place and can not be released by normal means. The rating of the jack stand does not have anything to do with the release mechanism. You can use 6 ton stands on a Fiat and be perfectly safe.
Bronco6Gen
The Rhino ramps have worked fine for me for years...but I don't use them on vehicles that I don't already fit under without the ramp. I just use them to get a little extra clearance and to drain all the oil out, I give them zero intentions of being a safety measure.
austinag1997
AG
I miss my lifted truck for the sole purpose of oil changes. No ramps or jacks needed. Thought about purchasing hydraulic lifts for my lowered vehicles, but the cost outweighs the benefit.
big ben
AG
austinag1997 said:

I miss my lifted truck for the sole purpose of oil changes. No ramps or jacks needed. Thought about purchasing hydraulic lifts for my lowered vehicles, but the cost outweighs the benefit.

Ditto, oil changes lifted truck especially with fumoto valve easy easy and no mess
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I made a set of ramps out of scraps of 2x10 almost 15 years ago. About time to scrounge up some more scraps and build replacements
George08
AG
https://imgur.com/a/QG9UWYb

Sorry having trouble adding picture
Roger350
AG
Thanks for the pics.

I've only used mine once so far, for the Pacifica, and I was happy with how easy they were to drive up them. The little rubber grip pad at the front held them in place better than I imagined they would.

It would still be best to have a spotter, but I just went slow when I lined them up and made sure they were centered and that the wheels were straight. It helped that the tires on the van are significantly narrower than the ramps too. Not sure I'll use them on the Tahoe, but I'll line them up and see how I feel about them width wise on that one. Probably will for sure use a spotter on that one. I used jack stands under as a safety device as well. Those cheap home oil changes would get awful expensive if I got crushed under one of my cars.
George08
AG
I would stop the car and place the ramps against the tires then go up. That was my routine all along and then I realized I needed to empty my old oil container so ran to the parts store and came back and decided to just drive up. It was definitely my fault, my tires were about 1/3 off the ramp when they cracked.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Helping OP out:

Amazing how the failure is identical.

I've used some like these and the only issue I had was that on slick concrete, they've squeezed out from under me when trying to drive on them. Pucker factor high.
Tim Weaver
You can't use the brakes when you are driving up on ramps. It'll just scoot the ramps out of the way. The best thing is if you have a handbrake you can use that instead, but since everybody and their Mommas down here drives trucks that are way too big, there is a distinct lack of handbrakes.....
austinag1997
AG
Tim Weaver said:

You can't use the brakes when you are driving up on ramps. It'll just scoot the ramps out of the way. The best thing is if you have a handbrake you can use that instead, but since everybody and their Mommas down here drives trucks that are way too big, there is a distinct lack of handbrakes.....

Electric parking brakes should work also. But you may have to engage your brake to use it. Soft brake?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.