What's the deal with auto repair service labor cost??

1,280 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by texsn95
CheladaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't had to do any repairs to my older vehicles in awhile (since pre-covid). I've had starter's replaced before which cost in the $600-$800 range but just got a first quote and it's $2400!! This is mostly labor cost. WTH!

Am I getting jobbed or is this the common theme now these days?
flipper94
AG
I am with ya. Just had a whole host of stuff done for my daughters jeep last week and now my sons truck is getting a few things. Beans and cornbread for dinner for awhile.
videoag98
AG
Mobile mechanics are your friend. Bought a starter from Amazon.
Had a mobile mechanic come to the house and install for $200.

CheladaAg
AG
Thanks for the suggestion...never thought about that option.
Flaith
AG
What kind of car is it?

For that kind of labor cost, I can only guess that you are driving a Toyota or Lexus with the 1UZ-FE engine.
CheladaAg
AG
Good guess...it's a Toyota Sequoia
Flaith
AG
Ahh, then a 2UZ. Seems like the same issue, then.

The starter is located under the intake manifold in the valley of your engine. It is an expensive job, because it takes a while to remove the intake manifold and ancillary equipment to access the starter.

This price is not necessarily due to the cost of labor going up, but rather the fact that you drive the most PITA starter replacement vehicle I can think of.

Reminds me of the story from 24 Hours of Lemons - a team with a LS400 which had to replace the starter on their car as a punishment.

https://jalopnik.com/advances-in-lemons-penalty-cruelty-the-lexus-ls400-sta-5068112
drumboy
AG
Flaith said:

Ahh, then a 2UZ. Seems like the same issue, then.

The starter is located under the intake manifold in the valley of your engine. It is an expensive job, because it takes a while to remove the intake manifold and ancillary equipment to access the starter.

This price is not necessarily due to the cost of labor going up, but rather the fact that you drive the most PITA starter replacement vehicle I can think of.
I'd have them preemptively fix the valley leak if possible if they're removing the manifold.

FYI I paid $500 labor for the valley leak in my Tundra a couple years ago at my indy in Spring Branch (Houston). Then I had to pay him another $500 to basically redo the job cause my o2 injection valves were damaged during the job.
CheladaAg
AG
Man, toyota's are pretty reliable vehicles but you do not want that thing going to the repair shop for anything.
aggieforester05
AG
If it's the 5.7L it's located underneath the passenger side exhaust manifold, requiring removal of the manifold. Definitely a PITA! I had to do the replacement on my 2007 Tundra and took the opportunity to install long tube headers.
Logos Stick
LMAO. Wow.

Crazy. I'm not surprised these days though.
texsn95
AG
I just had an alignment shop in Houston quote me $350 labor to install a set of front camber bolts on an Armada. Yeah GFY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.