Mercedes SUV

4,347 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Retired Principal
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any recommendations on make and models to look at and/or avoid. I'm looking into getting my wife one for a retirement gift.

Thanks.
drumboy
AG
G Wagen checks both of those boxes.
Sazerac
AG
She'll have plenty of time to take it for repairs

Hope you're considering a lease. Keep her in a new ride every 2-3 years til death.
AggieStan
G wagon !
austinag1997
AG
We just bought a 2017 GLE 43 AMG for my daughter. Pretty nice. In Sport + mode, it moves with the biturbo.
sushi94
AG
Any idea on what size she wants? Thats the first step. Bought the wife 2021 GLE AMG53 last year and love it. Just bought my mom a GLA 250 with AMG trim - so far she loves it.

What is she currently driving?
tlfw378
AG
I was looking at the GLE 250, 350, 450, and 580. The "G" glass is not in this working guy's budget. Are these problematic and repair shop heavy? If not a Mercedes and say the budget is $85k…and the desire is an SUV…what would be our her options that are better? Unfortunately, I have a budget ceiling….
Buck Turgidson
Until recently I would have automatically directed you to Lexus for a high end, small to mid sized SUV. Now I'd have to research whether the recent Toyota engine issues are affecting Lexus models too. Mercedes definitely have a reputation for being costly to maintain.
The Blue Goose
AG
I drive a 2010 ML350. The current equivalent would be a GLE350.

The thing is a tank. It has 175k miles and still feels really nice inside (if a bit dated). Regular maintenance at recommended intervals has been all that it needs besides a really recent AC compressor (which seemed like a respectable life span)

The GLE/ML has basically been the same vehicle with small changes since its inception. Helps my 15 year old car still look nice and relatively recent. Would highly recommend.

It's worth noting that I would recommend finding a reputable independent Mercedes/German specific shop nearby so you aren't stuck at the dealer for every little thing.
Bronco6Gen
Just the LX models
tlfw378
AG
Currently she is driving a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Neither of us know much about the Mercedes SUV line up from first hand experience. I'm more picky on driving performance and freeway power/response. She wants a dark red one. She is tired of not finding her car in the parking lot.

Several suggestions above have gotten me researching the options.

Lynch
Quote:

GLE 43 AMG
Does not compute.
Bronco6Gen
That needs to be studied...my wife parks in the same area for each establishment so she can find her car. Quickly going to HEB, she parks on the produce side, two rows from the street, even though all we need is Tylenol from the pharmacy section clear across the store. Drives me nuts. If she is going to Dillard's in the mall, she parks over by Chuck-E-Cheese. Why? Because that's how she knows where her car is parked. Bonkers!
PMD03
AG
tlfw378 said:

Currently she is driving a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Neither of us know much about the Mercedes SUV line up from first hand experience. I'm more picky on driving performance and freeway power/response. She wants a dark red one. She is tired of not finding her car in the parking lot.

I recommend the X3M in Sao Paulo Yellow:

txyaloo
AG
tlfw378 said:

Have you looked at Cayennes? I hate how Mercedes is throwing AMG badges on everything these days. It's watering down the brand like BMW has been doing with M
tlfw378
AG
Porsche and BMW are also on the table. Everything is on the table if it meets budget. I will say, the wife is a CPA and that is my budget, she will have a hard time going over $60k. If the right vehicle can be found…I'll figure out how to make it financially, within reason. At this stage of car shopping, the very start, I'm just collecting data and building my knowledge base, so I know what I'm wanting to investigate further. She will have the ultimate decision.
austinag1997
AG
Lynch said:

Quote:

GLE 43 AMG
Does not compute.

What do you mean? Guess it was a joke that went over my head.
austinag1997
AG
txyaloo said:

tlfw378 said:

Have you looked at Cayennes? I hate how Mercedes is throwing AMG badges on everything these days. It's watering down the brand like BMW has been doing with M

I have a Cayenne and really like it. Dissdvantage is battery changes are very diificult. I have to remove the driver seat to access my battery. The BMWs are smaller in cabin size unless you get to X5/X7 models. The AMG tag is a distinction for collaboration with AMG on the engine. Google it.
austinag1997
AG
Bronco6Gen said:

That needs to be studied...my wife parks in the same area for each establishment so she can find her car. Quickly going to HEB, she parks on the produce side, two rows from the street, even though all we need is Tylenol from the pharmacy section clear across the store. Drives me nuts. If she is going to Dillard's in the mall, she parks over by Chuck-E-Cheese. Why? Because that's how she knows where her car is parked. Bonkers!

Do I know that after buying a vehicle for my wife and daughter in the last 6 months. Exterior color, interior color, options. Its amazing they got what they wanted.
txyaloo
AG
austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

tlfw378 said:

I have a Cayenne and really like it. Dissdvantage is battery changes are very diificult. I have to remove the driver seat to access my battery. The BMWs are smaller in cabin size unless you get to X5/X7 models. The AMG tag is a distinction for collaboration with AMG on the engine. Google it.
The AMG tag is no longer a distinction of an AMG engine. That changed several years ago. Same with BMW. I have an M6. That's an actual M car with an M engine. You may see something like an M640 rolling around. That's a normal car with a bit of a tune, a normal engine, and a body kit. Same thing with AMG now.

Now there's actual AMG cars with an AMG engine, and then there's "AMG" cars with a badge, higher price, and some cosmetics.

I have a 958 CTTS too. A battery change isn't that big a deal. 15 minute job plus a few minutes with PIWIS or a scan tool to calibrate it. Raise the seat all the way up, take out 4 bolts, cut the carpet along the scored line, install battery. I'd rather it be there than in the trunk, under the spare, air suspension compressor, and a few computer modules like in my X5. Benefit to it being in the cabin is much longer battery life.
austinag1997
AG
txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

tlfw378 said:

The AMG tag is no longer a distinction of an AMG engine. That changed several years ago. Same with BMW. I have an M6. That's an actual M car with an M engine. You may see something like an M640 rolling around. That's a normal car with a bit of a tune, a normal engine, and a body kit. Same thing with AMG now.

Now there's actual AMG cars with an AMG engine, and then there's "AMG" cars with a badge, higher price, and some cosmetics.

I have a 958 CTTS too. A battery change isn't that big a deal. 15 minute job plus a few minutes with PIWIS or a scan tool to calibrate it. Raise the seat all the way up, take out 4 bolts, cut the carpet along the scored line, install battery. I'd rather it be there than in the trunk, under the spare, air suspension compressor, and a few computer modules like in my X5. Benefit to it being in the cabin is much longer battery life.

An educated man. Just joking. I haven't had to tackle the battery yet, but its coming. Thanks for the advice. Do you have a PIWIS system? I have a scan tool for my 986, but its in a different state. Ok about the AMG tag. I bought that SUV for my daughter, but drove it a week. Its fast in Sport+ mode and sounds close to as nasty as my 996 Mezger from an exhaust standpoint. And my Mezger is close to full open exhaust. Good to know there is another Porsche guy here!
CapeAggie89
AG
Take a look at the GLE 450. More power than the 350. I really liked it but have my mind set on the Porsche Macan S. I don't need the room otherwise would be looking at the Cayenne.
txyaloo
AG
Might take a look at the RSQ8 if you want something quick with 2 rows. It's basically a cheaper Lamborghini Urus/Cayenne GT.

https://www.bmwofsanantonio.com/used/Audi/2022-Audi-RS+Q8-e7347c64ac1859b18c4035b878ce998e.htm

I think you can find one in your price range. That one isn't much above.
txyaloo
AG
austinag1997 said:

An educated man. Just joking. I haven't had to tackle the battery yet, but its coming. Thanks for the advice. Do you have a PIWIS system? I have a scan tool for my 986, but its in a different state. Ok about the AMG tag. I bought that SUV for my daughter, but drove it a week. Its fast in Sport+ mode and sounds close to as nasty as my 996 Mezger from an exhaust standpoint. And my Mezger is close to full open exhaust. Good to know there is another Porsche guy here!

I'm just becoming a Porsche guy. . Am a BMW guy at heart. I do have.a PIWIS3 and a PPN account. I
GarlandAg2012
AG
txyaloo said:

Might take a look at the RSQ8 if you want something quick with 2 rows. It's basically a cheaper Lamborghini Urus/Cayenne GT.

https://www.bmwofsanantonio.com/used/Audi/2022-Audi-RS+Q8-e7347c64ac1859b18c4035b878ce998e.htm

Am I missing something? How is $93k not much above $60k?
txyaloo
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

txyaloo said:

Am I missing something? How is $93k not much above $60k?
It isn't. I'm an idiot. I somehow read $85k in that post, not $60k.
austinag1997
AG
txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

I'm just becoming a Porsche guy. . Am a BMW guy at heart. I do have.a PIWIS3 and a PPN account. I

What does it cost to have a PIWIS acct? And what version of PIWIS? If you ever have Porsche questions... reach out. The Cayenne is a driver.
austinag1997
AG
tlfw378 said:

Anyone have any recommendations on make and models to look at and/or avoid. I'm looking into getting my wife one for a retirement gift.

Thanks.

I don't ever buy new Euro cars. Understand that most Euro cars are owned by several folks in the first few years. I get the desire to buy your wife a new vehicle. If you want a German vehicle, I can only tell you I own 3 Porsches and a Mercedes SUV. That includes 2 SUVs and 2 go fast cars. I maintain my used vehicles and all of them run when I want them to. Consider a lightly used SUV. You will save a bunch.
JamesPShelley
austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

tlfw378 said:

Durametric? 986forum.com member?

98' 986 here.
austinag1997
AG
JamesPShelley said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

tlfw378 said:

Durametric? 986forum.com member?

98' 986 here.

02 986. That one is pretty well sorted at this point. Been getting the 996TT sorted which is taking some effort/$. Think I am a member of that forum, but it has been some time. Just replaced a window regulator on the 986 but have some latent issues to clean up.
txyaloo
AG
austinag1997 said:

txyaloo said:

austinag1997 said:

What does it cost to have a PIWIS acct? And what version of PIWIS? If you ever have Porsche questions... reach out. The Cayenne is a driver.
~$450 for a T6PT3G dongle. PIWIS3 was "free"/found on the internet. PPN account was free. I think I just needed a tax ID. Everything seems to work fine. Have done some light coding in dev/German mode. I mainly got PIWIS do try and do some facelift upgrades on the CTTS - primarily figuring out which modules need to be upgraded to enable launch control. It's easier to code/do diags with my Launch tablet.

I had major post purchase regret on the CTTS (first pick was X5M) until I got it on a twisty road. Even with the terrible Aisn transmission, the PTV+ was absolutely insane while manually shifting gears in the twisties. I swear I could feel the rear end pull me around corners. Never felt that in another SUV. Was very impressive. If it had a ZF or PDK, and BMW technology like iDrive, the car would be an amazing winner. Porsche "driving experience" tech is just a decade behind BMW.
CapeAggie89
AG
austinag1997 said:

tlfw378 said:

Thanks.

I don't ever buy new Euro cars. Understand that most Euro cars are owned by several folks in the first few years. I get the desire to buy your wife a new vehicle. If you want a German vehicle, I can only tell you I own 3 Porsches and a Mercedes SUV. That includes 2 SUVs and 2 go fast cars. I maintain my used vehicles and all of them run when I want them to. Consider a lightly used SUV. You will save a bunch.
THIS ! Most people underestimate the maintenance cost and that is why they are owned by several folks in the first few years. Only reason to do anything at the dealer is warranty work otherwise, find a good authorized, independent shop. Even then, maintenance costs are higher than a non-Euro car. I have had several and they have been solid as long as the maintenance is kept up. Even better if you can do the maintenance yourself but not everyone has the time, space or ability.

As mentioned, consider a lightly used SUV, you will save a bunch.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Genesis GV80.
sushi94
AG
If you are set on Mercedes the GLE 350 has 255 hp and the AMG 53 has 429. The gle 450 has 362 hp while the amg 63 has 577

It's true they offer the AMG appearance package that does not have the motor brakes and other AMG goodies.

As for price we picked up the 2021 GLE AMG 53 for 85 last year. It had 3k miles on it. Apparently the husband bought it for his wife without her input and she hated it. Traded in for a car.
austinag1997
AG
sushi94 said:

If you are set on Mercedes the GLE 350 has 255 hp and the AMG 53 has 429. The gle 450 has 362 hp while the amg 63 has 577

It's true they offer the AMG appearance package that does not have the motor brakes and other AMG goodies.

As for price we picked up the 2021 GLE AMG 53 for 85 last year. It had 3k miles on it. Apparently the husband bought it for his wife without her input and she hated it. Traded in for a car.

And by comparison I just bought a 2017 AMG GLE 43 with 50,000 miles for $25,500. 362 HP.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.