Used SUV $15k budget

2,029 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Redstone
streetfighter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mazda CX-5 was totaled in the hurricane.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3475709/replies/68101992

We had been planning to replace my wife's 08 Grand Cherokee this fall. To keep us on track with that we are looking to keep the budget under $15,000. Ideally looking to replace with similar size crossover and want it to be as trouble free as possible for 4-5 years and will probably only put 35k-40k miles on it.

Other than just looking through used cx-5, rav4, or crvs online any recommendations?
Bronco6Gen
I've got a 2007 Ford Edge that has done right by me. I changed the brakes at 100K and 200K miles, replaced the water pump at 230K, and replaced the ball joints, shocks, etc on the front end at around 150K, other than that I haven't touched it outside of batteries and tires. If I was in the market for that sized vehicle I would definitely give it a look. Having said that, it has a 3.5L V6 EFI, no turbo. I don't know what they are putting in the newer models and how they hold up.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Edge, Venza, CX-50
agdoc2001
AG
I'll have a 2016 explorer with 112k miles on it available soon if you want to go a little bigger
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
streetfighter2012
AG
I would certainly take a look at it. When do you think you might be looking to sell?
MikesFamousJava
AG
Towing requirements?
Do you require 3 rows of seats?
streetfighter2012
AG
No need to tow, and don't necessarily need a third row.
MikesFamousJava
AG
In addition to the CX-5 I'd look at the Subaru Forester and Outback given your parameters.
PoppaB05
AG
MikesFamousJava said:

In addition to the CX-5 I'd look at the Subaru Forester and Outback given your parameters.

Wait is OP a lady that's into ladies? I somehow missed that
TXCityGirl
Chevy Equinox are priced very fairly used.
agracer
AG
Toyota Highlander V6

I bought my sisters '07 a few years back for my son with 270,000 miles on it.. Now has 320,000.

It's made several road trips to CO and SD and runs great. She serviced it religiously at the dealer and I've continued to change the oil every 5k, put some new tires on it and did the timing belt at 300k. Had a nagging check engine light (turned out to be an intermittent leaky PCV valve) and now that's fixed. Just recently had to swap out the AC condensing unit (must have hit debris last winter) but got that swapped, vacuumed the system out, held pressure and filled it with R134a and blows ice cold. EDIT: Forgot we did the front brakes at 310k miles as well.

Those mid 2010's Highlanders are pretty rock solid if they've been maintained.

Third row is OK for short drives but not much else if you're over 4-feet tall.
agdoc2001
AG
streetfighter2012 said:

I would certainly take a look at it. When do you think you might be looking to sell?
Wife is shopping for her next vehicle pretty aggressively, so probably within next month or 2
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
streetfighter2012
AG
I can wait a month or two. Do you mind sharing some details trim level, color etc.

You can shoot me an email jra290@gmail.com
ChoppinDs40
AG
There's a 99 suburban that's been completely restored (mechanically) on the classified and auto board.

Do it.
EOE
I have a 2016 Pilot with 155,000 miles on it. It is bigger than what you have now, but been a great car. I'm looking at getting into a truck.
sushi94
AG
I will have a 2013 Explorer Sport with about 160K on the clock will be looking to sell for about $10K mid to late August

Its AWD

1 owner - both turbos replaced last year - only one had a leak but decided to do both. Fuel pump replaced all injectors at the same time.

In Houston.
Redstone
AG
My wife bought a Kicks (Nissan)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.