Best tires f150...city driving

2,336 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 12th Man Ag
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
f150 screw...2 wheel...live in humble and most driving is around town to work (downtown) and then errands. Towing light boat too.
Looking for quiet and economical (not dirt cheap, but not crazy expensive) and good on gas

any recs?
GreasenUSA
AG
trip98 said:

f150 screw...2 wheel...live in humble and most driving is around town to work (downtown) and then errands. Towing light boat too.
Looking for quiet and economical (not dirt cheap, but not crazy expensive) and good on gas

any recs?
I use my 2013 in the same fashion, and just put on my 2nd set of these:

Falken Wildpeak H/T02
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-h-t-ht02/p/44932
BrazosDog02
AG
Michelin LTX

They go on all of my trucks, all 4wd, load range E. Half ton, one ton, expedition. All same tire. They last me 50k or more in most cases and that is using for towing cattle, horses, and general running around.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Michelin LTX. You won't need Erating so get your standard SL (likely) and save on cost and gas.

They'll last you at least 60k miles.
clobby
AG
Michelin as well.
GarlandAg2012
AG
LTX family here as well
CivilEng08
Michelin. unless you're going to get rid of it in the next 40k miles.
Hwy30East
My new truck came with Hankooks. They're not awful, but I can't wait for them to wear out so I can put Michelins on it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
As you can see already, Michelin is the best. It will be priced accordingly but will easily last 70-90k if you rotate them and keep your alignment in check.

They never have problems… best tire out there!
bam02
AG
Didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has been said before, but I personally recommend Michelin LTX. Best tire I've ever used by far.
rancher1953
I have to go with Michelin as well. I tried all the others and nothing but Michelin on all my vehicles. Great mileage out of the tires.
trip98
AG
thanks everyone!! LTX it is...but I do have follow up questions:

1) just doing quick search on discount tire, there is a Defender LTX but think that's overkill for what I need. I see the Primacy LTX and just an LTX M/S2. Primacy is $184 per and M/S2 is $253 per. Only difference I can tell is 55k vs 70k warranty. Am I missing some big difference?

2) I do like DT because they are convenient and they have locations everywhere. Any reason I shouldn't go there? Last time I bought tires for wifes car I got them to match an online price so was thinking of doing the same this time
bam02
AG
I have the Defender LTX. Not familiar with the other version.

I see no reason to not use DT. I've always been happy there.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Totally different tire. Go with Defender or LTX M/S2.
yocod
AG
Another vote for Defenders. Discount Tire is fine. We've always gone there, but this last time around I ended up buying at Costco. It was quite a bit cheaper. DT may advertise a lower tire price, but then they tack on $100 installation plus whatever other fees. If you want their replacement "Certificates" that is another $200+. Costco has some kind of hazard warranty included, but I'm not sure how it compares with the DT "Certificates". Of course, if there isn't a Costco near you then it doesn't really matter and DT is good.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I'm doing this research now.

I'm looking for something with a bit of an aggressive look - like for the 4X4 look on a 4X2.

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3....anyone have any thoughts here?
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Cooper AT2

great price, great tire, more aggressive look without losing the mpgs
ChoppinDs40
AG
yocod said:

Another vote for Defenders. Discount Tire is fine. We've always gone there, but this last time around I ended up buying at Costco. It was quite a bit cheaper. DT may advertise a lower tire price, but then they tack on $100 installation plus whatever other fees. If you want their replacement "Certificates" that is another $200+. Costco has some kind of hazard warranty included, but I'm not sure how it compares with the DT "Certificates". Of course, if there isn't a Costco near you then it doesn't really matter and DT is good.

Costco is good until you're in a pinch and DT will get you in that day and put on a new tire.

I got a nail in a tire in B/CS last year during a football weekend (from DFW). Called the DT off 6, they had me a new tire mounted and ready to go in about 90 minutes.

Those certificates are life savers.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Costco has a warranty they sell for much cheaper that comes standard on any tire bought from DTC. The certs are a personal decision but they replace the tire almost free of question as long as the tire still has life. Costco has a prorated warranty you pay for… so if you blow out a sidewall, they'll refund you the amount of tread life you have e left, i.e. 50%, whereas certs would pay out the full price.
Sazerac
AG
Costco doesn't charge for their prorated cert any longer.

I just had discount price match Mich LTX Defenders. No problem, but only pro rated cert.
Sazerac
AG
In 30 years I've never had them replace a tire with a cert. they have always repaired.

One time I had just bought a used vehicle and took a flat in, and of course it was sidewall damage that couldn't be repaired…
yocod
AG
I agree that the Discount Tire customer service is very good. I think the Certificates are up for debate, and more of a personal risk tolerance thing. Until recently, we've used DT for over 20 years and always got the Certificates, but I can't recall ever having to use them. Perhaps its good luck (and watch me get a puncture tomorrow), but I'm presuming the odds are in their favor, or they wouldn't sell them.

As for OP, also keep an eye out for Michelin promotions. I think their summer promotion recently ended, but they'll probably have one in the Fall. If you can wait, it could be worth seeing if those tires qualify for a rebate.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Michelin Defender LTX MS2

A little less expensive is the Bridgestone Dueler LX, which is a discount tire exclusive. I just put these on our Expedition Max and they're really good.

If you want more economical, look at their pathfinder HT which is also great and easier on the wallet.
Sazerac
AG
My Sequoia came with Dueller and it ate through them in 30k. Maybe it's a cheaper version for the manufacturer?
Silvy
AG
Yokohama XAT
3rd Platoon
AG
Sazerac said:

My Sequoia came with Dueller and it ate through them in 30k. Maybe it's a cheaper version for the manufacturer?

Those OEM Duelers are not the same. Were they the 684II? The DT-specific Dueler LX is a different and better tire.
mefoghorn
AG
If you don't want to pay up for the Michelins, i've had good experience with the Kumho Crugen HT51. Am also planning on getting Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast on my 4runner. I read ton of good feedback on Conti Terrain Contact tires.

I get mine from Tirerack.com and use DT to install.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sazerac said:

Toyota is notorious for terrible OeM tires

JP76
Sazerac said:

I was told it is the weight. Every tundra I have owned has destroyed those tires in 30k or less. Same line of tire on my lighter 4runners have went 50-60k.

The michelin's are great tire. I have seen them run 70-80k on a 4runner and were only replaced because of age and starting to crack but not from lack of tread. The cooper atp are good but you will lose some mpg over the less aggressive michelin.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Virtually every OEM tire is an extremely soft tire designed for better ride quality and is usually cheaper for the manufacturer. They don't care if a tire lasts 50k.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Virtually every OEM tire is an extremely soft tire designed for better ride quality and is usually cheaper for the manufacturer. They don't care if a tire lasts 50k.

This
mm98
AG
OE tire = lowest bidder for the manufacturer
3rd Platoon
AG
In my experience, the OEM Bridgestones, like the Alenza AS/02, are mushy and influenced by GM's specs. Other Bridgestone and Firestone products are far better. For example, the DT Dueler LX and the Destination LE3 are very good value plays here. They're very good quality. They might not be quite where the Michelin is, but they're close, and for the money, it's a better overall value for many people (including me).
12th Man Ag
AG
LTX M/S2

They will last 70k miles
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.