Truck bed rack help

444 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to cross post this in automotive, but the OB seems like a likely spot.

I've got a 21 tacoma that I want to add a bed rack to. I bought this because the older models could be drilled out to use the t-slot rails with some extra nuts and I grabbed it on sale for less than 100$. This one is not compatible ( the verticals are too short).

Do y'all think 8 of these would work to hold it down? If I bring a kayak, it can go in the bed, I mainly want to be able to stick it on when I need it to carry surf rods/sand spike etc and have room for my drone and cart, plus the kids toys in the bed.
Silvy
AG
I think it'd be easier & quicker to take the rack on/off if you just used some bolts & wing nuts.

More than likely, those clamps wouldn't grab the rack very well and even with those clamps, friction is the only thing keeping the rack in place. If the clamps loosen up while driving, you'll lose the rack and then whatever the rack is supporting.
Ag_of_08
AG
Silvy said:

I think it'd be easier & quicker to take the rack on/off if you just used some bolts & wing nuts.

More than likely, those clamps wouldn't grab the rack very well and even with those clamps, friction is the only thing keeping the rack in place. If the clamps loosen up while driving, you'll lose the rack and then whatever the rack is supporting.

My issue is getting to the underside ofnthe cap rails. The bed is made oddly, and getting underneath the rails is going to require some interesting modifications I'm afraid
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.