Trailer tire wear

620 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MouthBQ98
pf2200
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a tandem axle boat trailer with excessive wear on the outside shoulder of both tires on the rear axle. The shoulders are bald with less than 5000 miles on the trailer. Both tires on the front axle are fine. I check the tire pressure before any lengthy trip and the boat is within the trailer's weight rating. The trailer generally seems to ride pretty level. Combined weight of the boat and trailer is around 6000-6500 pounds. Any thoughts as to what to check?
Roger That
AG
What's the load rating on your tires? What psi do you run?
pf2200
Tires are load range C. They are the cheapy tires that came with the trailer. I usually run them at 45-50 PSI.

I'm planning on replacing them with Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis. Just didn't plan on replacing them this soon.
rancher1953
Better check those wheel bearings. It sounds like to me you are about to be stranded when they fail. I have been there and done that no fun at all.
Stat Monitor Repairman
If this is a newer trailer check for a recall.
Jason_Roofer
rancher1953 said:

Better check those wheel bearings. It sounds like to me you are about to be stranded when they fail. I have been there and done that no fun at all.

I'd check bearings as well just because, but I'd triple check that the axle is aligned properly. If it's out of whack for whatever reason, the wear can be weird like that.

See if it's square to the one in front of it. You can figure out how to measure that but I'd start there.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I have used Goodyear Endurance, and I really like them. Discount pulled a GY and a Maxxis to show me the differences. GY is also made in USA.
MouthBQ98
AG
I had a trailer doing that and it turns out it had a badly welded axle with the spindles not perfectly straight. I had to replace the axle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.