2019 F-250 (6 speed) vs 2020 (10 speed) 6.7L Diesel

1,787 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by drummer0415
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at two Lariat Ford F-250's and trying to decide between the two. The 2019 has 35,000 miles and the 2020 has 55,500. I've heard the 10 speeds are nice as far as performance but have been told they have been having more problems than the 6 speed (2019 model) and these will both be out of power train warranty.

Price is very close on both. The 2019 does come with bed liner and retractable bed cover which I like while the 2020 is not lined at all.

As with all bit life decisions, I present it to TexAgs: Which would you do and why?

Thanks for any insight.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I know the 10r80 transmission in the 1/2 ton class have their issues, but not so sure about the 10r140 in the 3/4 ton.

ETA- fixed numbering.
FunnyFarm14
AG
I had a 21. Not sure if any changes between 20 & 21 but pulling heavy it was smooth driving & pulling trailers. My 17 is getting there at 240k but still working its tail off.

I'd probably opt for the 10r80. I did get about 1 mpg better on my 21 (though my 17 has a leveling kit & bigger tires).
Aggie118
AG
The guys at ford today were swearing up and down by the 10 speed. But I was also looking at their pre-owned 10 speed… I have a 2019 Ford F-250 lariat with retractable bed cover and gooseneck hitch already installed with 34k miles for $52,000 lined up. My only pause is the 6 speed transmission. Don't want to regret not getting the 10.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Buddy of mine owns a company and has a 2 6 speeds and 2 10 speeds. The 10 speeds out tow and have better mpg than the 6 speeds.

I wouldn't hesitate buying either version but if I planned on towing heavy and often, I would go 10 speed.
Aggie118
AG
Appreciate the response. I would say I won't be pushing it too much on the heavy hauling. It will also be my daily driver not hauling as well.

Do you know if there's a big difference in handling without a load like acceleration and what not?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The 10 speed definitely is more responsive on acceleration
Aggie118
AG
So I guess the question is, is the 10 speed worth going for the one with 55,500 miles on it vs the 6 speed that has 34,500… I just have a hard time spending $56,000 on a truck with 55,500 miles but maybe that's nothing for a diesel. I've only had F-150's to this point.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I would buy the 6 speed.

My 10 speed Silverado 3500 has been laid up with transmission issues for over a month.
Aggie118
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

I would buy the 6 speed.

My 10 speed Silverado 3500 has been laid up with transmission issues for over a month.

Thanks for the insight. I'm going to find a 6 speed to drive tomorrow. If I can stomach the difference I'll probably pull the trigger on a 2019. The one thing I keep thinking about is would I rather have the mastered 6 speed (last version) or the first edition 10 speed (2020 model). With no warranty it makes me leery.
smstavinoha88
AG
The 2019 will be much easier to put on a diet compared to the 2020.
Aggie118
AG
Update:

I believe I have it narrowed down to two trucks and would love y'all's feedback on the better deal.

2019 Ford F-250 Lariat
$51,000. 52,000 miles. From individual. Comes with bed cover.

2020 Ford F-250 Lariat
$62,500. 16,200 miles. From dealer. 14 months of power train warranty left. Does have a few hail spots on roof only (not totaled or anything).

Let me know what you would do and why. Thanks!
Ag for Life
AG
I would go with the 2020. Lower miles and I think you'll regret not getting the 10 speed. It's a more efficient powertrain and quicker truck. I believe the 2020 has a slightly different front end look too that looks better IMO, but I may be off on years here. No worries about service history as that's up to you on a 15K mile truck.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I had a 2019 F-250 Powerstroke and kept it up until 100,000 miles. I had zero transmission problems. It pulled my camper great. The only downside I had was a really bad death wobble.
Aggie118
AG
Update: pulled the trigger on the 2020.

Ag for Life
AG
Beautiful truck, congrats!!
ghollow
AG
Nice truck! That is way to pretty for me to drive
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
AggieBB
AG
My god that's a beautiful truck!
drummer0415
AG
Great choice. I think lower miles and lots of warranty left will be good. Congrats!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.