Rule 1 - Old School is New School

1,925 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Corps_Ag12
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up this 2005 Suburban 2500 from Reno, NV on Wednesday and drove it back to Fort Worth over 2 days because I couldn't find a reliable shipper. With my 3500 stuck in dealership warranty work purgatory, we needed something else that can pull the camper.

88k miles, 8.1L with 4.10 rear end, LT so fully loaded for 2005 haha.

Any recommendations on DIY clear coat repair? Good is peeling and roof is blistered. Do I need to re base coat the hood after sanding or is the existing salvageable?
Corps_Ag12
AG
I suck at images, help a buddy out?
Complete Idiot
Complete Idiot
Looks nice! My 1999 2500 with the 7.4L is below. 8.1 > 7.4.

I sold this around 18 years ago - the photo is from 2006. That shocks me, time flies when it comes to my car history.

Corps_Ag12
AG
Thank you!

We had a 1998 1500 when I was a kid in this same color scheme so it's kind of nostalgic for me in a way.
Redstone
AG
My dad had a 93 and 94.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Dude, I can't believe your truck is still at the dealer. That sucks.

No replacement for displacement.
Mas89
AG
Nice suburban. Just got rid of an 04 Yukon this year which had been in the family since new. I'm sure I'll regret it.
Did you have to leave your truck at the shop in Reno? We drove there and back in May/ June and I wish I could have stayed all summer.
Needing to get a new 2500 work truck soon to replace an '18 2500 and wondering about the 10 speed transmission reliability. Have had numerous 2500s with the 6 speed and never had a transmission problem.
BiggiesLX
https://poppyspatina.com

I've been meaning to use this stuff for clear coat repair. It requires the least amount of prep from what I can tell.
Martin Q. Blank
Corps_Ag12
AG
Mas89 said:

Nice suburban. Just got rid of an 04 Yukon this year which had been in the family since new. I'm sure I'll regret it.
Did you have to leave your truck at the shop in Reno? We drove there and back in May/ June and I wish I could have stayed all summer.
Needing to get a new 2500 work truck soon to replace an '18 2500 and wondering about the 10 speed transmission reliability. Have had numerous 2500s with the 6 speed and never had a transmission problem.

No, my truck broke down at the end of June, so I've had a rental for over a month, but after my mechanic goes through the suburban, I'll be returning the rental and driving the suburban until the status of my truck changes.

Would personally avoid the 10 speed and unless the 18 is broken, I would rather pay the taxes then buy new vehicle at this point. My buddy has a 2020 sierra with a 10 speed and has had no issues but it is a pre-Covid truck. I imagine During and after Covid years will have this issue. I regret selling my 2016 Duramax with the LML and six speed that had 200,000 trouble free miles.

If I can get Chevrolet to buy the truck back, I will either buy a 2019 Duramax that still has the six speed or I will buy a pre-10 speed 6.6 L gas truck. Another option would be to find an LBZ with low miles.

On a happier note, I love driving the suburban!
aggieforester05
AG
Sweet Suburban! I've always wanted an 8.1L but only ever driven them in uhauls. I bet it's a torque monster!
ElephantRider
AG
Sweet ride. I love the Suburbans from that era (both of the ones in this thread).

How many gallons to the mile do you get with that 8.1?
Complete Idiot
I had an 8.1L in a Class A RV - it did the job well but drank the gas at a fast clip. All RV's do.
Matsui
Corps_Ag12
AG
ElephantRider said:

Sweet ride. I love the Suburbans from that era (both of the ones in this thread).

How many gallons to the mile do you get with that 8.1?
Hand calculated I got a little over 13 mpg running at 75 mph.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.