2017 Honda Ridgeline

1,658 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by SteveA
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm seriously considering purhasing a used Ridgeline from a co-worker. 1 owner, has about 100K miles.

Can this board provide decent places to find reviews of this vehicle, etc? I plan to drive it 10+ years as a daily.
Mr. Bob Harris
AG
I would recommend checking out Honda Ridgeline Forums. The biggest issue I've heard about with the early Gen 2 is the transmission, that was rectified with the 2020 model,, but not sure how prevalent that really is with earlier years. Also the rear doors didn't open enough, but that looks like a fairly easy fix.

I'm still driving a 2006 that I bought slightly used. I'm over 290k with no issues. Best vehicle I've ever had by a long shot. I swore I would get a Gen 2 when they came out, the new models are much smoother and more refined, but my old Ridgeline just feels comfortable and does what I need it to do.
ccolley68
AG
2 ridgeline people on one thread? What a sight!
Complete Idiot
I can't believe Ridgelines are 18 years old! I just confirmed - 2006 was first model year.

Not sure about the transmissions but that 3.5L power plant was a good engine.
Redstone
AG
Not familiar with this truck
Bird Poo
AG
Mr. Bob Harris said:

I would recommend checking out Honda Ridgeline Forums. The biggest issue I've heard about with the early Gen 2 is the transmission, that was rectified with the 2020 model,, but not sure how prevalent that really is with earlier years. Also the rear doors didn't open enough, but that looks like a fairly easy fix.

I'm still driving a 2006 that I bought slightly used. I'm over 290k with no issues. Best vehicle I've ever had by a long shot. I swore I would get a Gen 2 when they came out, the new models are much smoother and more refined, but my old Ridgeline just feels comfortable and does what I need it to do.
Thank you! I'm looking into the transmission issues - it was a 6 speed and they went to a 9 speed in 2020. That gives me some pause for sure.
Bird Poo
AG
Redstone said:

I've ridden in my buddy's truck several times and it's a great ride.
maroon barchetta
Redstone said:

Seems impossible.
DallasAggie89
AG
I've owned two in the past. I had no issues but only drove both to about 100k.

You will get told regularly, "I bet you get great mileage because it's a Honda" while you're averaging 15 mpg with a 6 cylinder engine.
MikesFamousJava
AG
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/
Shumba
AG
I have a 2011 that I bought secondhand back in 2013. It has 125k+ miles on it. The biggest expense was replacing the timing belt and water pump at 100k miles. I've replaced the tires twice (I recommend Michelin Defender LTX, my last set got 70k miles) and the battery twice.

It ain't winning any beauty contests, and I have friends that give me a hard time about it being a van with a bed, but it does everything I need it to do. I'm going to give it to my son once he turns 16 next year, and then get it back from him once he leaves for college. I'm sure it will still be running. It's a good vehicle, and I would recommend it to anyone.

As someone mentioned above, it does not get good gas mileage. 13 mpg in the city. Maybe 18 on the highway. It used to get better mileage, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last couple of years.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Shumba said:

As someone mentioned above, it does not get good gas mileage. 13 mpg in the city. Maybe 18 on the highway. It used to get better mileage, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last couple of years.

My Coyote F150 gets WAY better than that. You've got easier parking, fit in the garage, etc. but anything else?
hijakeroo123
AG
Shumba said:

It used to get better mileage, but it seems to have gotten worse in the last couple of years.
Low hanging fruit, check to be sure that the throttle body and mass airflow sensor do not need to be cleaned. I had a 2009 Accord which was an amazing vehicle, but the mileage and overall performance dropped noticeably if this hadn't been done in a while. If you haven't done so, I would also run some Techron through it.
Shumba
AG
I don't know, maybe a lower cost of ownership? Honda reliability? I mean, comparing a Coyote F150 vs a 2011 Ridgeline is apples to oranges in my mind. I think I paid around $21K for it back in 2013. It was a CPO, and had a 4 year/40K mile warranty (it had 21K miles on it when I bought it), so I thought it was a pretty good deal. I would venture to guess it was less expensive than your Coyote F-150. It's probably a bit less costly to insure as well. But I agree, the Coyote F-150 wins on "cool" points and looks.
EMY92
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

I've owned two in the past. I had no issues but only drove both to about 100k.

You will get told regularly, "I bet you get great mileage because it's a Honda" while you're averaging 15 mpg with a 6 cylinder engine.
I get that with my Raptor.
NoahAg
Quote:

Wow, I assumed it would get about the same as our Pilot, which is about 24 mpg. Is the drop-off due to it being AWD?
Shumba
AG
Not sure. To be honest, it's old, and since I have been working from home, I don't drive it nearly as often as I did when I was commuting to work (pre-Covid). Back then, it got better gas mileage, probably closer to 21 to 23 mpg on my commute (45 minutes in DFW). Now, it sits a lot, and the last time I checked the mileage, it was around 14 to 16 or so (that's per the dashboard monitor, not with me calculating it via a spreadsheet or other manual way). These days my trips are less than five miles around town, and I rarely take it past that, so it is now doing a lot of stop-and-go driving where before the majority of my work commute was on George Bush Tollway, so I was doing 75 mph most of the trip. That is probably the reason for the bad gas mileage now. I imagine the AWD would make the gas mileage worse than a Pilot. How old is the Pilot?
NoahAg
2019, about 80K miles
SteveA
AG
I had a 2022 for a month while my car was in the shop. I averaged closer to 20mpg. I do a lot of cycling, specifically, mountain biking, and it may be the best truck on the planet for that.In bed storage is great for stuff you don't want stinking up the cab, but don't want to leave open in the bed. Super comfortable ride and interior. Honda quality. I do think the power train is a bit lack luster, however.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.