State of Texas sues GM for collecting, selling driver data

780 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by maroon barchetta
Fannie Luddite
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
-- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is suing GM for collecting driver using OnStar, then selling it to data brokers and insurance companies
-- New car owners were presented with a "confusing and highly misleading" consent, buried in a lengthy agreement, under the pressure of getting the deal closed
-- The consent was implied to be for their safety, but it was a deception so GM could profit, at the car owners expense.
-- Paxton is seeking a jury trial and at least $10,000 per offense (every GM car sold in the state since 2015) and a hefty add-on of $250,000 in cases where the victim was over 65

https://www.theregister.com/2024/08/14/texas_sues_general_motors/

I'm glad action is being taken but I'd be happier if criminal charges were filed. It seems like extortion to agree to give up your driving data to be able to purchase a car.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Paxton is a pos, but I support this.
Yesterday
AG
Good Paxton!
Corps_Ag12
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Paxton is a pos, but I support this.
Agreed, but hard not to like the guy after suing Dallas over right to carry at the State Fair and now this.
TSW2012
AG
Fannie Luddite said:

-- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is suing GM for collecting driver using OnStar, then selling it to data brokers and insurance companies
-- New car owners were presented with a "confusing and highly misleading" consent, buried in a lengthy agreement, under the pressure of getting the deal closed
-- The consent was implied to be for their safety, but it was a deception so GM could profit, at the car owners expense.
-- Paxton is seeking a jury trial and at least $10,000 per offense (every GM car sold in the state since 2015) and a hefty add-on of $250,000 in cases where the victim was over 65

https://www.theregister.com/2024/08/14/texas_sues_general_motors/

I'm glad action is being taken but I'd be happier if criminal charges were filed. It seems like extortion to agree to give up your driving data to be able to purchase a car.

I'd much prefer a check for every GM vehicle I've owned than criminal charges for anyone.
maroon barchetta
ttt for any Auto Board posters who might happen to work at a vehicle dealership.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.