Repair estimate fair?

1,045 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by gmm1995
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife's Honda Odyssey's A/C went out yesterday. Apparently the A/C clutch "melted". My go-to shop just quoted me $2500 to replace the front A/C clutch & compressor, replace expansion valve, and flush system. It looks to me like the parts are about $300 on RockAuto, and closer to $550 at AutoZone.

Does that seem like a fair price? I would've expected something closer to 2-3x the parts cost.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The detailed quote has the replacement Denso compressor priced at $1000. Same identical part is listed new on RockAuto for $296. Will shops not source from there?
tree91
AG
If you want a point of reference, the dealer price to replace my daughter's Civic compressor in 2022 was $1456. The compressor part was $768, and the rest was labor.

That said, what does a clutch "melting" mean? Can just the clutch be replaced? Is he replacing the drier with the expansion valve? If the compressor itself is damaged, does the condenser also need to be replaced?

Lots of questions, but yes, that quote seems steep. Especially if this is an independent shop.
Jason_Roofer
It is reasonable and in line with pricing for that kind of work. When they did my expy they did the condenser too. Anyway, I was not happy with the price but then when it got to be 112 here, the price didn't bother me as much.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
big ben
AG
Paid $1400 last year for same, new compressor, flush, etc. for my silverado
txyaloo
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

The detailed quote has the replacement Denso compressor priced at $1000. Same identical part is listed new on RockAuto for $296. Will shops not source from there?
Most shops will not source parts from Rock Auto if they can get the parts from their normal distribution sources. You're paying that high price so they can offer a warranty on the part/labor and probably a 100% markup on the part cost.

If it was just the clutch that blew up, you shouldn't need a new compressor, expansion valve, or a flush. Clutch can be replaced without removing the refrigerant from the system.

If something internal to the compressor blew up, you'll need all those parts and a flush to get any metal out of the system. Most places won't warranty AC components unless you do this. I'm assuming this isn't the case since they aren't also replacing the condenser. You didn't list the year, but if your Odyssey is 2020+, you have R1234YF refrigerant which is insanely expensive (compared to R134a) if the shop needs to top off the system.

Seems a bit high to me as well assuming you don't need refrigerant. What's their labor rate? Is this the dealer or an independent shop?
P.H. Dexippus
AG

Of note, this is only for work on the front A/C. Rear A/C quote is for an additional $800, but I am not inclined to agree to that yet.
TexAg1987
Seems odd that they recommend flushing/replacing the front system, but the rear system is optional. Don't they all run off the same compressor?

If there is debris, it is everywhere.

You could probably just replace the clutch, but it may have to come out just to do that. At that point, I would replace the compressor.

My $.02 is that if the compressor didn't fail (just the external clutch) then there should be minimal debris in the system. I guess if it is high mileage it could have been wearing out. How well was it cooling before it went out?

I had my compressor replaced on a truck with < 200K (at the time 207K now) because the clutch was starting to make noise. Was afraid the compressor was nearing end of life also and wanted to avoid replacing everything if it came apart. Was also about to take a big road trip and didn't want to battle the A/C going out in the desert. Works perfectly now. I know this is just anecdotal, but it was a risk I was willing to take.

tree91
AG
It sounds like the compressor failed, perhaps internal seals, but it didn't send shrapnel throughout the system. Otherwise, the condenser would have to be replaced, too.

Good question about the rear AC. I don't remember our old Odyssey having a second compressor, but I could be wrong. Since the tech couldn't confirm a leak, I wouldn't worry about it.

For what they are doing, it seems high, but not entirely over the top. You may not get a better deal, especially this time of year. It comes down to how quickly you want the car back vs. how much shopping around do you feel like doing.
txyaloo
AG
The compressor on that van is on the bottom of the engine. Doesn't look like there's space to get the clutch off without removing the compressor which means evacuating the system of refrigerant.

Price doesn't seem crazy to me after seeing the quote other than higher parts prices which isn't unusual. If the compressor didn't grenade, you don't technically need to replace those other parts or flush the system, but if you don't it's very unlikely the shop will warranty the compressor replacement.

You might ask them why they aren't also replacing the condenser if they think there's metal in the refrigerant system. They're replacing everything else and that's usually part of the "package" when a compressor grenades. Might give you an idea if they're just trying to uplift you
gmm1995
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Of note, this is only for work on the front A/C. Rear A/C quote is for an additional $800, but I am not inclined to agree to that yet.

I trust Wayne Davey. His shop has been working on my parents and our vehicles for years including AC work on our 2018 Expy. Probably not the cheapest shop but I never felt like he was out of line.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.