College Station Ford - SERVICE STAY AWARE

2,092 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by The Pilot
FunnyFarm14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just want to pass this along, I'm sure most of them are good dudes and mean well, but HOLY ****.

Wife Dropped off my 17 F350 for a P2074 code. I'm a pretty decent wrench turner and know my way around vehicles & equipment, on top of having had an actual mechanic take a look at the truck. Needed a MAF sensor & parameter re-learn. Somehow (stealership) $80 in parts consisting of 2 screws on the air intake, this is $980 and 3.5 hours of shop time.

Granted if I was home I would have done this in about 4 minutes (maybe 7 with a beer).
This was the ONLY concern on this truck, and I was in a bind & the private mechanic didn't have a the ford programming access.

HOWEVER!!!!!!! $3500 in "routine maintenance" showed up on the "approval for work" estimate, no warning, no phone call saying "Hey - based on your mileage this is what ford recommends" or "Have you done any service to this truck like X,Y,Z etc etc etc" . NOTHING THAT HAS THE APPEARANCE OF HONESTY

Service Advisor sent the $4500 "estimate" to the wife with a text saying "do you approve this to start work".
FULLY BELIEVE THEY ARE TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE THAT DON"T KNOW ANY BETTER. Luckily wife called me and asked, but D@MN.

DO BETTER COLLEGE STATION FORD!!!!! This is why I avoid you guys like the plague and tell everyone I know to do the same.
Ag for Life
AG
Keating Auto Group strikes again!

Anxiously awaiting a Keating employee post rationalizing this one...
Aggiemike96
AG
So I can make myself a note, who's the dealership owner?
BiggiesLX
Not sure about this dealer, but service advisors pushing maintenance are paid a commission.
JB
AG
Stop using dealerships for out of warranty repair. Just don't do it.
aggiedata
AG
JB said:

Stop using dealerships for out of warranty repair. Just don't do it.

Plus buying from a Keating dealership

rancher1953
NEVER NEVER NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH A KEATING DEALERSHIP.

Mas89
AG
Had to tow my 16 F250 there one Sunday this spring. Died on campus and would not start. College Station ford gave me an estimate that Thursday for over $5,000 for an entire new wiring harness installed. They said it's common and they change them on the Diesel power strokes regularly.

I paid to have it towed home over 100 miles to a trusted mechanic. He fixed it the next week with a $54 ignition switch in the steering column and 2 hours of labor. He said it was an easy diagnose.
agracer
AG
Ag for Life said:

Keating Auto Group strikes again!

Anxiously awaiting a Keating employee post rationalizing this one...
Every dealer in the history of the world does the "recommended service" scam.

I once took my perfectly find working Accord to a dealer for an oil change b/c they sent me a $29.99 coupon for a synthetic oil change. Somehow, it took 90-MINUTES to change the oil, and along with it I got a list of $800 in recommended service.

I did leave a bad review on Google though. Showed them / old man yells at cloud.
BiggiesLX
And there's no way the common person can prove, or will verify, they actually did any work. I could see dealers charging for a new CV axle due to a torn boot, but actually only changing out the clamp.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I bought a used F250 a few years ago. The 4x4 knob on the dash didn't work, but manually locking the hubs did. I figured it was the vacuum system.

CS Ford wanted over $300 to replace the lines.

I got under it, found the break in a line within 30 seconds, and ran to autozone. They gave me a piece of scrap (under 1ft long so he told me he couldn't even charge for it) that I swapped out in the parking lot. Never had another issue.
The Pilot
AG
I'm not taking a 7-year-old car to the dealership, unless they are paying for the repairs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.